FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMOKED SALMON
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooddog22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27 08 3:12 pm    Post subject: Better late than never Reply with quote

Ok so I just found your thread. Better late than never. Here is my latest and greatest way to smoke salmon that I have been blessed to smoke as I have been taught by and older fisherman and a truly wise smoke man!

1 Clean filet the fish leaving the skin on this will hold together better when cooing.
2 Brine the fish Send me a note if you need my secret brine recipe.
3 brine for no more than 10-12 hrs.
4. Smoke the fish I use my weber Kettle with the coals placed on one side and the fish on the other. Alder wood chips and hickory work well together as does a limb from my lemon tree(dried Limb only).
5 Smoke until done to your liking I like it done more for sweet(Indian Candy) and less for spicy/salty.
anyhoo, you can freeze what you cant use immediately.
During Salmon season I usually do 2-3 batches a day and vaccum pak the and giv them out as christmas gifts with a few homemade beers. People love me!!!1
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 23 09 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokinator wrote:
Here is a link to basic smoked salmon.
Note that they are using a Big Chief electric smoker. I have that same smoker and it typically will run between 150 to 180 on a 60 degree day. I smoke around 3 pans of wook chips for 6 hours give or take.
You want a lower heat with salmon compared to pork of beef.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

I'm giving this a try today for the first time. It's in the brine now.

A friend of mine has been making this and gave some to me to try. It's good stuff! And I'm not even a salmon fan.
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 23 09 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhhmmm... ran the smoker dry (thinking the water in the bullet might turn the fish to mush... this is based on... well... nothing really. just a guess).

Anyhow, as a a result it ran hot. 275-300 vs the usual 225 it locks into, and now after just an hour the fish looks done-ish... I've cocked the lid to the side to let it run cooler for a while.

Any thoughts on how to salvage this?

Thanks,
Matt
Dry Rubber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thing not mentioned on this thread yet is getting a pellicle.

After your fish is brined (by the way, the salmon university link to a dry brine is probably the best and most inexpensive out there), put them on racks and let air dry (or with fan) until a pellicle is formed. It will look sticky. This keeps moisture in when you smoke it.

Get your temps down lower than many posts indicate. If it's too hot it's cooked and not smoked. In the northwest, most folks use an inexpensive smoker like a little chief. They run extremely low temperatures and weather dependent can take up to 12 hours to do the job.

Lately another favorite brine of mine is called the "Little Chief Deluxe", it will turn up in searches. It is a soy sauce brine less salty.

Cheers,
Dry Rubber
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry Rubber wrote:
Big thing not mentioned on this thread yet is getting a pellicle.

After your fish is brined (by the way, the salmon university link to a dry brine is probably the best and most inexpensive out there), put them on racks and let air dry (or with fan) until a pellicle is formed. It will look sticky. This keeps moisture in when you smoke it.

Get your temps down lower than many posts indicate. If it's too hot it's cooked and not smoked. In the northwest, most folks use an inexpensive smoker like a little chief. They run extremely low temperatures and weather dependent can take up to 12 hours to do the job.

Lately another favorite brine of mine is called the "Little Chief Deluxe", it will turn up in searches. It is a soy sauce brine less salty.

Cheers,
Dry Rubber

Dry Rubber, (or others)
Do you know what temps the "Little Chief" type smokers run at. I am wanting to try somoking some salmon next week and am think about running @ 150 in the smoker.

Thanks,
Dry Rubber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19 10 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's down around 160 or so.
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19 10 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry Rubber wrote:
I think it's down around 160 or so.

Thanks,
I think I can get that low. I will try it soon.
beeman

PostPosted: Fri May 15 15 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some salmon I smoked in my big chief

[iFree Image Hostingmg][/img]

[iFree Image Hostingmg]

[/iFree Image Hostingmg]

[imFree Image Hostingg][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: