FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMOKED SALMON
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatcatmarky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 05 12:05 pm    Post subject: SMOKED SALMON Reply with quote

Hey hey hey,

That is my super lame impersonation of Fat Albert, believe me if you heard it you might just want to smoke me...

Anyways my friends, I was at a farmers market on Thursday and tasted some mighty fine smoked salmon.

When I worked with my dad at this BBQ joint we would smoke salmon, but that was over 10 years ago and I can't remember how to do it.

I really don't have a clue what I'm doing and would appreciat any help that you folks might have. The stuff I tried yesterday had honey listed on the ingredients and boy was it good.

I will need some help with rub/brine and of course the smoke. WOW, I am completely oblivious to smoking fish, but I have a funny feeling someone out there might know whats up.

Until then,

Mark
hey hey hey, there I go again
smokinator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 05 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to basic smoked salmon.
Note that they are using a Big Chief electric smoker. I have that same smoker and it typically will run between 150 to 180 on a 60 degree day. I smoke around 3 pans of wook chips for 6 hours give or take.
You want a lower heat with salmon compared to pork of beef.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
fatcatmarky
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 05 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smoke, appreciate the lead!

Fat Cat Mark
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26 05 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fatcat, try smoking your salmon (whole filet) with some sweet chili glaze from the local oriental market. I usually cook mine around 2 hours at 225. I put the fish on foil to keep the grate clean, and the sauce off the bottom of the grill. Very Happy Nobody like fish-flavored pork later on! Crying or Very sad
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 05 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try the sweet chili glaze this weekend! That sounds really good. A guy I work with also recommended putting some oragne rind on a peice to take the bite off from the wood, I will probably use apple anyway so that should be mild enough anyway.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 05 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how it turns out! don't overcook it! Very Happy I cook mine at 225' -250'for two hours or so for a 3-4lb filet. Add the sauce about half-way through your cooking.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....the salmon I did didn't come out too well to me. I smoked it for 2 hrs then turned the heat up to finish off the potatoes I was cooking and I think I over cooked it *sigh* It was chum salmon, which I know isn't the greatest anyway but my wife didn't know lol. It seemed really dry. Oh well, I will try try again!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a layer of thinly sliced onions and a layer of thin cut lemon on top of the salmon fillet. Keeps the fish from drying out and gives the it a nice bit of flavour as well.
ProBBQ Excel 20
2 50's waiting conversion
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 05 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try taking it out and "resting" before turning up the heat! Very Happy Salmon is a naturally fatty fish, and does not need to be cooked to long. Two hours max will do for a three-four pound filet. Smaller pieces cook a lot faster, so do salmon steaks.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 05 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, my focus was the tater I was making and hurrying to the bar-b-q. Next time I will do the fish only and FOCUS on it lol.

Thanks again!
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 05 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piece of fillet toward the tail is much thinner and will cook faster. Take it off earlier, or cook it separate.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html has a pretty good recipe with picture instructions.

1st time I cooked it I got it too dry too. Practice makes perfect.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 05 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link! Yes I am planning on practicing a lot in the near future.
PDXsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 05 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I tried it again and it was a success! This time I used a little "salmon shake" and instead of sweet chili I put a "mandarine glaze" THAT STUFF ROCKS!! Anyway I simply used coho salmon instead of chum lol and smoked it longer at lower temps. Wow what a difference. The mandarine glaze looks similar to the sweet chili but it is a bit sweeter with a hint of ginger. I just did a small piece to test it, but I am going to get a few lbs this week and store it up!

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions!
Seth711

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16 05 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke salmon often and use a combination of real maple syrup and kosher salt. I don’t really measure much. Just apply a generous amount of salt to each fillet, cover with a healthy amount of maple syrup and let marinate overnight. Lay on foil, cover with some sliced lemons and smoke till desired doneness. This is such an individual preference as personal taste runs the full gammed from dry to very moist. Salmon ends up coming out with a light sweetness from the syrup that works well warm or cold. Try it sometime!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16 05 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Wish I could get wild salmon in Oklahoma, not the "farm raised" Yeah, farm raised in the atlantic with coloring added.
Sad

One key for me is deciding on an internal temp to cook it to.

I think directions "cook for X hours" etc may not be specific enough. The thickness of the filet is the key to determine length of time as well as the overall weight and the temp in the smoker.

When I hot smoke them, I don't go over 160 and a lot of times, that's less than 2 hours.

Russ
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10 05 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i did mine i did a brine of brown sugar and salt. i smoked them @190 -200. everything came out wicked good. i also did some lake trout that took a little longer but it seems that the salmon was done in about 2-3 hours depending on the thickness. i also used crab apple and maple, here are some pics

Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23 06 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do salmon, I slip a thin bladed knife under it to remove the skin. With the skin removed, the fats and oils seem to drain away better.

The posts in the thread look and sound great. I wonder if removing the skin would make good things better?
Mark H
TampaBeerKnurd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cook salmon I make my own special glaze... I start by melting 2 teaspoons of butter in a small sauce pan, then I mix in about 2-3 tsp of brown sugar and 2-3 tsp of honey. After that is all homogeneous I stir in 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs olive oil, 1 tsp ground ginger, and about 3-4 tbs of Grey Poupon dijon mustard... I simmer this mix for just a minute or two then allow it to cool in the fridge. I usually grill the salmon, but I don't see why this glaze wouldn't work in the smoker as well.
Shaymus
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07 06 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never smoked salmon before and I was wondering ,What is the texture of the meat ? Is it dry or wet ,and how do you prepare it when it's done?
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25 06 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally leave the skin on, the oils and fat is what gives salmon all its flavor. As for the texture of the meat, the longer you leave it in the smoker, the more it becomes dry, or "candy" like. Both are excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: