FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carnitas recipe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFARR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13 09 11:57 pm    Post subject: Carnitas recipe? Reply with quote

I caught a Food Network show (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) yesterday, and they covered a taco restaurant.

The Carnitas recipe sounded interesting, but I don't see it on line.

Boston Butt, seasoning, etc.

Simmered for a couple of hours...however, the recipe called for Condensed Milk and Soda (looked like a cola).

Anyone catch that recipe or have one similar?

Thanks!

AFARR
ou812warford
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14 09 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and it sounded good.

Oklahoma Joe 16" traditonal
weber gold 26 3/4"
Morgans4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 4:50 am    Post subject: I saw it! Reply with quote

Carnitas
As shown on diners drive ins and dives from los taquitos mexican grill in phoenix

Chop a pork butt in large chunks. Put in large baking pan. Throw on 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 whole head garlic (end chopped off to expose it), several bay leaves, torn, a can eagle brand milk, a can of cola, salt, then water to nearly cover. Cover with foil and simmer 2 hours.
Shred and put on grill. Take 2 corn tortillas together and put them on the grill. "spank” them to keep them down, flip over, spank again and remove. Put on plate and top w/meat, cilantro, chopped onion and salsa.
AFARR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 09 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: I saw it! Reply with quote

Morgans4 wrote:
Carnitas
As shown on diners drive ins and dives from los taquitos mexican grill in phoenix

Chop a pork butt in large chunks. Put in large baking pan. Throw on 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 whole head garlic (end chopped off to expose it), several bay leaves, torn, a can eagle brand milk, a can of cola, salt, then water to nearly cover. Cover with foil and simmer 2 hours.
Shred and put on grill. Take 2 corn tortillas together and put them on the grill. "spank” them to keep them down, flip over, spank again and remove. Put on plate and top w/meat, cilantro, chopped onion and salsa.

Perfect...thanks!!
mgwerks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man those carnitas sound a little weak - where are the chiles? And Coca-Cola? Confused Never seen any shredded carnitas in Texas.

Carnitas

Here some straight out of the Dutch oven, ready to tear into. And here's the finished product in tacos with crema, avocado, onion, cilantro and some great Bufalo Jalapeno salsa picante

Here's my ingredients, and the method and all the pics are here on my blog. There's more work to it this way, but the flavors are worth it!

INGREDIENTS
1 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
2 t dried Mexican oregano
1 1/2 t cumin
6 garlic cloves
2 T vegetable oil
2 chiles arbol (4 if you like more heat, I use 4 to 6)
2 lb. pork butt, cut into bite-sized chunks
3 T lard, shortening, or my choice - bacon grease
1/4 cup milk
AFARR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 8:57 pm    Post subject: Tried them last night....Thoughts/Recommendations.. Reply with quote

The recipe was from a TV Show (see the original post). The restaurant owners were 5 sisters from Mexico.

I made it last night....

I should have stirred the Condensed Milk into the sauce (I just poured it on top)...a good bit of it dribbled down to the bottom of the pan and scorched. I changed to a different pan, and finished the cooking process.

The pork had a nice, slightly sweet flavor (shredded), not too strong...(a slight undertone of the scorched sugar, but that will be corrected in the next batch).

My wife wasn't wild about the corn tortillas (I had come flour ones also...she made one on that and liked it a good bit).

I put:
2 corn tortillas (heated).
Layer of Carnitas
Chopped onions (used Vidalia).
Chopped Cilantro
Salsa
Crumbled Queso Blanco.

I recall having a VERY similar taco the two times I was in Mexico (it's probably been over 12 years for the most recent)....this is similar to one in Nogales (again, a vague memory) from a small stand.

mgwerks...yours look good, I'll have to try (minus the hotter seasoning...I like it, but the rest of the family doesn't).

AFARR
labradors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24 09 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I saw it! Reply with quote

Morgans4 wrote:
Carnitas

Do you also happen to have the recipe for the burritos from the same place or, better yet, a link to a VIDEO of the episode?

Thanks!

Update:
Never mind. I found the video on FanCast, and was able to watch the whole thing there.

The burritos went as follows:
For the Bombero sauce, put 10 whole tomatoes, a quartered red onion, water to cover, 2 cups toasted red chiles (looked like cayennes) into a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer for an hour. Put the whole mixture into a blender, add 6 chipotles in adobo, black pepper, cumin, garlic salt, a clove of garlic and ketchup, then purée until smooth. Simmer that mixture for 45 minutes to an hour.

For the chicken, slice chicken breast into fajita-style strips, add seasoned salt (couldn't tell which brand but, from the colour, it looked like it could have been Goya Sazón con Azafrán), cumin, garlic powder and vinegar, then sauté until crispy brown.

On a griddle, Toast a large, flour tortilla on each side, then remove it to your work surface. Near one edge, put some of the chicken, some pico de gallo and some cooked seasoned rice. Roll up the tortilla for a couple of turns, fold the ends in toward the middle, then continue rolling until fully enclosed.

To serve, top with some of the Bombero sauce, add some grated cheese, then melt the cheese.
socalkid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's from being around L.A all my life that our version of carnitas differs a bit from the rest of the worlds haha. Mexican carnitas are usually shredded, after rotisserie style cooking, fatty meat, crispy skin, oh dear lord I'm hungry. I dunno bout "simmering" doesn't sound right, and milk and soda doesn't sound right either.
mgwerks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the carnitas I've sen or eaten in Texas are made in about the same way. The meat is closely trimmed of fat and cubed, browned and cooked in a spicy paste to season all sides of the pieces. All the milk actually does is add free protein to the mix, causing the spice mixture to adhere better. I've actually never seen it shredded or cooked as a large cut of meat.
socalkid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you, I was just noting the differences around the country. Like I said I've never seen it in cubes, simmered. But everyone does everything differently around the states. I guess I can't knock it til' I've tried it!
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 20 10 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgwerks - tried your recipe last night with the left over spare rib meat and I gotta say "Winner Winner Carnita Dinner"Smile Excellent flavor all around. The only thing I did wrong was cut the piece too small so most of the meat was crunchy but very very good:) Thanks for an Excellente Recipe!!

BTW, there is mention of 2T of veggie oil in the ingredient list but not in the preparation. I assume you use it along with the lard? or are you supposed to mix the spice and then with the meat?
juliacooks

PostPosted: Tue May 17 11 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the crock pot is the best for pulled pork. Why spend so much time babysitting the stovetop when you can be away doing other things?
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 17 11 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliacooks wrote:
I think the crock pot is the best for pulled pork. Why spend so much time babysitting the stovetop when you can be away doing other things?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Evil or Very Mad Ban them! Crock pot, meat on the stove !!! j/k

In Mexico you'll find the same meals by name can be much different region to region. Kinda like our BBQ sauces.
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 17 11 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliacooks wrote:

So...do you cook SPAM in your crockpot also Twisted Evil
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31 15 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In searching for a Carnitas Recipe from DDD replay, I came across this post in a google search. I'm sitting here laughing at the mistreatment of a crockpot. At certain times they are great, at other times, not so great.
I for one, do not babysit a pork butt all night on a smoker. My plan of attack for a butt in a hurry is to pressure cook it in 2 cups ham base for 1-1/2 hours and then transfer to a smoker at 275F for about 2-3 hours. I sprinkle some rub all over the butt before it goes in the smoker.
Great bark and fantastic taste. Save the base and reduce it for the best sauce you have ever tasted.
One more note as an edit. A pressure COOKER is NOT the same as a pressure CANNER.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: