FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building 1st smoker Completed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
RLane22, according to the pit calculator with a fire box 41'' long and 20'' in diam. your intake should be 38.62 Sq. in.
And your fire box to cooking chamber should be 102.99 Sq. in. Some builds go larger or smaller with success as these
are just general guidelines to go by.

Thanks k.a.m. i got to work on it about an hour yesterday and got the handles cut out kinda like the ones you have a little different. I will be cutting the hole tonight and taking some pics. The grandkids made a suprise visit and spoiled me this weekend. All i heard was hurry up pappa im hungry from the oldest and the youngest told me it was his smoker. So i guess i better get this thing going. lol
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
RLane22,
If the axles are not already permanently located, you can take 3 cheapo bathroom scales ( If they go high enough) and get your overall weight on a 3 point measurement. Then locate the axles for a 10-15% tongue weight. I tack my spring hangers in place at the start of the build and still open to moving them should I add more features than originally planned.

They are permanently located and really dont teeter unless i go really heavy in the firebox like me standing in it. (lol) then it teeters the storage box will have wood and things needed for a cook out in it and i have 2 foldup jacks i will be putting on the back for balance and to help level.
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!! Very Happy
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the doors are in place need to go get the hinges. I think i will use the same hinges as the firebox. I cut out some home style handles thank you k.a.m. for the idea and i have the hole cut and pipe in place between the firebox and the smoke box. The stack pipe is 4x4 and it is only 2'2" lhigh and the inside pipe is 6.5" id. k.a.m. I will have to see if it will work and what heat i can hold before making any changes. Here are a few more pics let me know what you think. After i put the hinges on i will finish the strap on the doors and then move on to the shelves.

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! You are attacking this project well. The food prep ledge looks plenty stout. How many beers do you plan to set on that at one time? Rolling Eyes
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21 09 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Looks good! You are attacking this project well. The food prep ledge looks plenty stout. How many beers do you plan to set on that at one time? Rolling Eyes

lol Thanks Wreckless thats what the storage box on the back would be great for.
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22 09 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back to my desk where i found a new gadget that a fellow smoker had left me. a drain valve (score) now i have my cleanout.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22 09 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, she is looking good Very Happy I like the handles, that is a nice design and they give you a nice drop. I think your on the right track as far as seeing what the temps will be, just fire her up and see what might need to be done or nothing at all, then paint. Smile Keep those pics coming.

Hybrid Cooker
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24 09 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i was out feeding last night i tripped over a piece of sucker rod. i picked it up to take to the metal scrap pile and noticed i had a small piece of gas pipe laying there. the sucker rod fit exactly inside the pipe. (huh) i see a hinge coming together. So i built the hinge mounted the doors and welded the handles on. then to my suprise when i was complete and went to take the pictures. the wifey ask me "thought you were going to put them springs you bought on the handles" I told her naa i had changed my mind. dog gone it dont she know how to ruin the moment. lol well i guess my doors will not have a spring on them at this time. i still have to finish the flat around my doors. Here are a few pics i ran the sucker rod through and am debating on leaving it sticking out or cutting it off dont know yet.

Last edited by RLane22 on Sat Aug 15 09 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25 09 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, very nice job on the hinges and handles. Very Happy At first I thought they would look better cut off and welded then ground smooth but the more I look at them they look nice like that, you might even cut out your initials and weld them to the stand offs.
I want pics of you trying to weld that wood riser to your cooker Wink Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks k.a.m. just might have to do some initials i like that idea. The riser was the only 2x i had that night. funny my wife ask why i was going to use that thing there why not put a whole board. lol told her i wanted to be different. well i finished the strap around the door and i placed a door holder/stopper behind the doors. seems to work and if i dont put my initials on the handles i may put them on the stopper. i have some welding still to do on the doors and a touch of grinding. i found a piece of copper out on a telephone pole i had picked up from the electric company and wrapped it on my handles i remember doing this before on one for my dad. it is just temporary for now but it works. now i am ready to start the inside for a while and get it going.
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28 09 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking build!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28 09 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after you blast and paint shine up some copper wire and wrap it on the handles like you have done then put some poly on the wire and that would look slick.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29 09 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
after you blast and paint shine up some copper wire and wrap it on the handles like you have done then put some poly on the wire and that would look slick.

great idea daddywoofdawg i wonder if the poly would get to hot though and get sticky. i can try and if it does take it off. thanks for the suggestion.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29 09 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, very nice work. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics.

Hybrid Cooker
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the c channel put in place and welded up my angle for the sliding shelves. Hopefull I will get time this weekend to put the expanded metal on. I am thinking seriously about a second row and I have enough metal to do so. How much room do i need between racks and top clearance. That will be the determining factor. I will have to measure how much room I have left at this time.

Stu In Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

how much cooking surface will you have in the end?

When you are a all done, will you take it to be sandblasted?

If you do, I have to ask, do you guys grind all of your welds down before or after you have the pits sandblasted, I can think of reasons for doing it before and reasons for doing it after, or does it make any real difference?

I bet when you put the expanded metal on, it will look a LOT closer to completion! Laughing

keep the pics coming!

Cheers!
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to remeasure it tonight and post I slept since then and dont remember.
I have quite a bit of grinding to do. I keep going knowing that I will have to pick up my old friend the grinder and use him pretty soon.
then I she will be sandblasted.
when I get the expanded metal on I am really going to be placed in the hot seat to get her finished. The wifey was hovering over her last night while I was feeding. checking it out and asking when are you going to do this and that. lol I think she is ready for some fixins.
I also have to measure to see if I can put a second rack in there. It will depend on the clearance.
Stu In Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 09 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it would depend on what you are cooking too, if the bottom racks are occupied with meat that is not that "Tall" then I guess a second level is totally doable,but if you are cooking tall stuff, maybe you would not be able to use the racks on that cook?

Grinding, yeah, that is a job, I hope you have to right tool for the job, a 6" angle grinder, I see a lot of guys try to tackle big jobs with the small 4" angle grinders, they are NOT up to the task, sure, they are lighter weight and easier to handle, but the big powerful 6" grinders make that kind of work a lot faster.

Cheers!
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01 09 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stu In Tokyo"]I would guess it would depend on what you are cooking too, if the bottom racks are occupied with meat that is not that "Tall" then I guess a second level is totally doable,but if you are cooking tall stuff, maybe you would not be able to use the racks on that cook?

Grinding, yeah, that is a job, I hope you have to right tool for the job, a 6" angle grinder, I see a lot of guys try to tackle big jobs with the small 4" angle grinders, they are NOT up to the task, sure, they are lighter weight and easier to handle, but the big powerful 6" grinders make that kind of work a lot faster.

Yes sir i have both in the small hard to get to areas the little one is nice but for the big areas cant beat the big one.
i spoke to the guys at the old welding shop i used to run a pattern torch and a plasma torch at and they said i could use there blaster if i would cook them a brisket. i had to think a long time about that one. (not) a chance to see some old buds and a reason to cook. Works for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: