FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building 1st smoker Completed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 4:45 am    Post subject: Building 1st smoker Completed Reply with quote

well here is what i have welded up so far

I am building the doors tonight and then I will start on the shelves and the baffle I am putting between the firebox/grill to the smoker. Let me know what ya think and give me ideas on what to change or add i am open to suggestions.

Last edited by RLane22 on Tue May 24 11 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - that's major progress right there - it's darned near done already Surprised

Keep an eye on the forward weight bias - from the pictures it looks like you're getting close to welding up a teeter-totter Exclamation

Cheers
RYAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your moving right along!. nice job
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, you cooker build is looking great Very Happy You must have a pile of plate to be using it for a box Smile I look forward to seeing some more updated pics. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why such a large firebox or is that just an illusion?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
roaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good keep the pictures coming
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 9:47 pm    Post subject: thanks day_tripper Reply with quote

day_trippr wrote:
Wow - that's major progress right there - it's darned near done already Surprised

Keep an eye on the forward weight bias - from the pictures it looks like you're getting close to welding up a teeter-totter Exclamation

Cheers

Yea i have been watching that i have loaded it up with what wood i should have in it and it is fine but i have two extra foldup jacks and i will be putting them on the back two corners for leveling purposes and no teeter tottering.
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 9:49 pm    Post subject: multi purpose Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
why such a large firebox or is that just an illusion?

i am always cooking burger and steaks and whatever else the boss (wifey i love you dear) lol tells me to cook. so i figured why not make a firebox/grill on the back and i will have my fishfryer mounted on the front. 3-1 think it will work?
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 9:53 pm    Post subject: storage box Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
RLane22, you cooker build is looking great Very Happy You must have a pile of plate to be using it for a box Smile I look forward to seeing some more updated pics. Smile

we tore an old silo down a couple of years ago and laid the plate out on some telephone poles and put some heavy stuff on top. it flattened it right out. i am reworking my 16' trailer bed from wood to steel bed and had a few extra sheets left so i figured a good dry box on the side for wood and utensils and whatever else i dont want to blow away when moving it would work.
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10 09 10:07 pm    Post subject: firebox/grill lid Reply with quote

well after my other honeydooos last night i did get one of the doors completed. will try to work on the other two this weekend so i can get started on my shelve ideas.
[/img]
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 09 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

need some ideas what or how to make the handles. also my buddy stopped by last night and offered me his small sand blaster when i am through. i have never used a sand blaster do the small ones work ok to get this completed or should i take it somewhere and have someone do it?
luckyduk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 09 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking build so far!!!
My thoughts are that a small sandblaster is just that, a small sandblaster, might take you a while.
As for handles, I just kept mine simple, used half inch rod stock, 2 90 degree bends and a spring handle, I did drill two slightly bigger than half inch holes in the door and then welded from inside.

RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 09 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info luckyduk and the pic. pictures help me see great ideas better than someone just telling me.
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 09 10:37 pm    Post subject: hole size between firebox and smoke box Reply with quote

well i made it back in town from a business trip and want to get busy on my smoker again i have the rest of my flat to build the other two doors now and will be picking up more for the shelves this weekend. My question would be though in between the firebox and smoker how big of hole should i have. I have a 5" smokestack a little over 3' tall. any suggestions. i butted the two together and i have some more 5" sqare tubing or i have a piece of 10 inch thickwall pipe. i intend to put a baffle in it or a door on the front to adjust the heat input also plus putting 1 or 2 vents on the firebox. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, I came up with these drop downs on my last build, I like the lower handle when its open it makes it easier to grab when open.

As far as your opening into your cook chamber, what are the dim. of your fire box?

Hybrid Cooker
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
RLane22, I came up with these drop downs on my last build, I like the lower handle when its open it makes it easier to grab when open.

As far as your opening into your cook chamber, what are the dim. of your fire box?

Thanks K.a.m i really like the handles and the hinge idea i believe would work on mine also i may try that and see. as far as the fire box i know i am going to have to have a pretty good coal bed and probably work with it quite a bit until i figure it out since i made it a firebox/grill.

it is 3' 5" long and 20" round going into a 200 gallon tank sorry right off hand i dont know the dimensions but i will measure them tonight and post. This is an area i have trouble with any help is much appreciated.
Stu In Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, your build is looking great!

You guys in the US are working on a whole different scale than I can even imagine!

Keep the pics coming!

Stu
pit builder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 11:30 am    Post subject: your pit Reply with quote

looks great, keep those pic. coming
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22, according to the pit calculator with a fire box 41'' long and 20'' in diam. your intake should be 38.62 Sq. in.
And your fire box to cooking chamber should be 102.99 Sq. in. Some builds go larger or smaller with success as these
are just general guidelines to go by.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 09 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLane22,
If the axles are not already permanently located, you can take 3 cheapo bathroom scales ( If they go high enough) and get your overall weight on a 3 point measurement. Then locate the axles for a 10-15% tongue weight. I tack my spring hangers in place at the start of the build and still open to moving them should I add more features than originally planned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: