FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a non vinegar sauce for pulled pork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29 09 11:33 pm    Post subject: Looking for a non vinegar sauce for pulled pork Reply with quote

For my first butt, we did a basic cider vinegar+ketchup+brown sugar+red pepper flakes. While it wasn't bad, I don't care for the pungent/strong aroma/taste of the vinegar.

What would be the basic sauces that don't use vinegar?

I'm looking for a sauce to put on a bun that doesn't overwhelm the flavors of the pork. But that might happen anyway with any sauce.

Maybe I just need to eat mine plain and let everyone else eating worry abotu saucing theirs. heheheh

Thanks!
Paul
hldhm
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 09 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you want a non-vinegar sauce but go to the top sticky for Roxy's Mustard sauce and try it before you write off vinegar sauces. It is simply great and brings out the flavor of the pork as nothing else will and it is great on chicken and other stuff too. This stuff is the best!
charleso
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 09 6:31 pm    Post subject: Non vinegar sauce Reply with quote

How about substituting ginger ale for the vinegar? You would need to adjust the sugar down a little, but it gives a subtle flavor instead of the heavy twang of vinegar.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 09 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at a lot of BBQ sauce recipes over the years and I dont recall many, if any, that did not include vinegar in the formula. It does give the sauce some tang and IMO, you want to simmer the sauce to help to evaporate the vinegar out which will help a great deal to mellow its strength.

You can also cut the vinegar in half and add some beer.
LIAR #100
pjm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 09 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks all.

seems like all you need is the cider vinegar as the base, then add other ingredients to get the taste you want. brown sugar, red pepper flakes, ketchup or not, onion power, garlic powder, who knows what else.

experimentation seems to be the key. i'll try simmering it next time but not sure about the beer (2 year old) Wink
Revord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12 09 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im actually allergic to vinegar (sucks when it comes to condiments), but Ive found that if you substitute lemon juice 1:1 for vinegar, then it comes out almost exactly if not right on for tang and zip. Also, for wine or balsamic vinegars, you can use grape juice. It all depends on what your trying to achieve, but these are substitutes that I personally use that work out great!
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 09 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally despise vinegar...but I rarely eat bbq without it.

Go figure.
Haelix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14 09 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myself I love vinegar, but if you wish to distance yourself from the most used BBQ additive , try malt liquor , yeah I said malt liquor, like OE, king kobra or colt 45. they have a taste that when mixed with other ingredients can make a stout bbq sauce. also hard cyder is good too
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14 09 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm.......8 ball sauce.
mhoodnc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23 09 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try apple juice in place of vinegar, I buy vinegar by the gallon(I am in NC), but have tried the alternatives, lemon juice is the closest but I doubt you want that.
sakijo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21 09 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar + ketchup = a lot of vinegar. If you use vinegar, substitute tomato sauce for the ketchup. Or cut the vinegar and use ketchup only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: