FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry Rubs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 7:23 pm    Post subject: Dry Rubs Reply with quote

I talked to my HD rep and got the low down on packaging my own rubs the other day. Turns out i can mix and package the rubs myself in an approved kitchen or commissary.
I am going to sell my rubs at vending gigs, cook offs, the Saturday farmers market etc...I will need to tweek my rubs a little before i`m ready.
I have been using course ground Kosher Salt in my mix but don't like the white flakes in my reddish/orange rub.

What do you use for salts in your rubs & why?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mortons table salt in the 4# box. It is uniodized plain salt that is the same grain size as iodized table salt. Same flavor as kosher salt, but smaller size grains.

if you switch to this stuff, Weigh the amout of kosher salt you normally use instead of measuring it by volume. A cup of table salt will weigh more than a cup kosher salt will. So if you do not weight it, it may be too heavy on the salt.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28 09 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of that. Embarassed

Plain un-iodized salt... I`ll be sure an weigh it.

Thanks Harry.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 09 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Sea-Salt has the best natural salt flavor. Also a little goes a long way so you don't need to add so much.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 09 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my spices at Spice Barn and they should be here next week. With the different spices and freshness that they should have i might have to play with my formulas.
The salt content might be an issue so i`m all ears about sea salt also. Thanks Ron....
I bought a Mediterranean Sea Salt filled grinder thing from Sams club once and really liked it but i thought it was a little less salty than table salt or even kosher salt. Might just be my burnt tongue i don't know. I still smoke cigs too so my tastes my be a little off. Rolling Eyes
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 09 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I have found that when I let my rub sit for a while the white salt crystals absorb the color from the chili powder and no longer appear white after a day or so. I do use quite a bit if ground chili in my rub though.

GIANT BBQ
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 09 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla
Yup i`ve noticed that also. The general color of my rub gets a darker orange almost red. The crystals are still noticeable in mine.
I don't use much chili, just a little for the flavor, i use sweet Hungarian paprika for the color. The new stuff is darker(from the looks of it) than what i can get here in town.Should be interesting to see how this works with the new spices.
I also use a mesquite seasoning powder in my rubs. This stuff has a whitish/yellow color. Made by Tones Spice co. The only place i could find any mesquite seasoning in bulk was at spice barn but there`s is orange in color. Then again only a teaspoon of it in the small 3/4th cup batch i mix. The more of this Tones Spice i use in my mix the more it has that "BBQ potato chip" flavor.
To me that's OK, cause i think people associate that taste with "BBQ".
Looking forward to tasting the new stuff. Razz http://spicebarn.com/mesquite_seasoning.htm

Not to be pimping there products yet... but they had every thing i needed including spices bottles, seals & caps. Which made it handy for me. All in one order & they seem to be good to deal with so far.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 09 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
Jeff, I have found that when I let my rub sit for a while the white salt crystals absorb the color from the chili powder and no longer appear white after a day or so. I do use quite a bit if ground chili in my rub though.

That rub you sent me a while back was amazing Zilla.. Tried it a couple times on brisket and the rest on steaks, it was very good.
LIAR #100
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04 09 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just thought I'd toss this out there, but I use kosher salt measured not weighed and when I want it finer I just mill it down in a food processor. I have a small one for little batches and then a larger size if I need more.

Last edited by OddThomas on Sat Jul 04 09 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04 09 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
zilla wrote:

That rub you sent me a while back was amazing Zilla.. Tried it a couple times on brisket and the rest on steaks, it was very good.

Thank You Roxy, I think I sent you the recipe.

GIANT BBQ
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04 09 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
roxy wrote:
zilla wrote:

Thank You Roxy, I think I sent you the recipe.

You did at that my friend, but I have a huge problem finding the dried peppers that go in it.. I do live in Canada after all and I aint going to order online to get some, my pocket book aint that thick.. Wink
LIAR #100
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 09 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thsi thread is very timely.

Now I know that rules vary from place to place. but.....

I have been making my own rubs for the past 4 years. After giving a bunch away, I have decided to bottle it and sell it. Right now, I am making it at home (like always) and selling it to friends, word of mouth, etc.

However, I have been approached by a few different local stores that would like to sell it, however I am not sure on the requirements of if I can still mix it at home or not.

Guess it is time to check with the local HD and go from there.

Pete
Pete's Firehouse BBQ
-Award Winning BBQ, Catering & Spice Rubs
www.petesfirehousebbq.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: