FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking For Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kronk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06 11 8:36 am    Post subject: Looking For Ideas Reply with quote

I'm a food vender and I have parents ask me for a more kid friendly menu. I sell the heck outta mac n cheese but I want to add something else to my pulled pork sandwiches, beef brisket and pork ribs. I want to do a BBQ spin on a hotdog. Hog Dog. My idea is to keep it pretty simple and somewhat bland tasting. Ok, not bland but not smack you in the mouth...this is marketed mostly for kids. I would finely chop smoked pulled pork and mix it with a very small amount of a food binder such as masa harina (corn tortilla flour mixture). Then form a "tube" shape of finely chopped pork and corn flour mixture, resembling a hotdog shape, and wrap it with a water soaked dried corn husk. Tie both ends and smoke until cooked through and firm. This is pretty much a tamale but with less corn flour and the addition of a bun. The husk will impede some but not all of the smokiness and it can hot hold in the husk, retaining some moisture, until ready to use. Then unwrap the husk, place in a bun and serve with a sweet tomato based BBQ sauce.

What do you all think? I'll try it and let you know, pass or fail. Does anybody have a better idea of doing a BBQ spin on a hotdog without busting out the grinder and stuffer?
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06 11 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronk, when my kids were growing up, they loved dogs in a wrapper.
Just a warm flour tortilla with the fixins of choice. They used just about every possible thing on them. Chili, onions, cheese, mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut, relish, etc.
Roll 'em up, wrap in foil or deli paper and serve.
Maybe use flat bread or pita bread cut in half and opened up creating a pocket.
Good luck and take pics.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Kronk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06 11 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Jarhead. Thanks for the ideas!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07 11 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never known of a kid turning down a corndog...
Dr Obvious
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07 11 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word your looking for isn't "bland", its' "simple" and probably "sweet". Kids love simple, sweet food. Even better if you can make it a finger food.

The hotdog wrap is a good idea. I'd also suggest chicken tips (boneless skinless thighs chopped into nugget-sized pieces) glazed with a sweet and sour sauce or a really sweet bbq sauce.

What ever you go with, bundle it with a mac and cheese and call it a Kids Special.
Kronk
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great ideas!
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09 11 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sisterin-law and out 9-year-old nephew visited last year, and the kid loved homemade pigs-in-a-blanket. One-third of a hot dog wrapped in Parker House roll dough.

http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=326562
fshnwiz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11 11 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends daughter was here chowing down on some home made bratwurst when she said "These would be better if you made them like a corn dog" At first I was insulted but then I got to thinking so I smoked a few for about an hour to give them some smoke then made a sweet corn bread batter. Had to double dip them to get enough coating on. Deep fried just long enough to brown the coating. Pretty smart little girl. Idea Idea Idea
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 11 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with Dr Obvious, simple finger foods.

My kids LOVE cheese quesedillas (I cringe every time I shell out money at a restaraunt for them). If you have chicken on hand already, how 'bout chicken and cheese quesedillas or pulled pork quesedillas?
DPP Clone Build in progress: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65139&start=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: