FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

honey i burnt the pizza

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q2E

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01 09 1:06 pm    Post subject: honey i burnt the pizza Reply with quote

Help, i tried grilling pizzas last night, and was a complete disaster. our eight yr old granddaughter is coming down from atlanta for the summer, and as a fun but edible project, i figured i try pizza on the grill. well a dry run was the goal but no luck. the first run was on charcoal at 450 on the stone i bought, burnt the bottom, #2 attempt was on coals also for a shorter time (4 mins), but same results, #3 i tried on the gas side at 550 for 5 mins on the stone again, strike 3. is the heat to high? do i use the side fire box? all of the toppings were done great, just the bottom of the crusts were way over carmelized, aka. toast, burnt toast. i still have time to practice again, so any input would be greatly appreciated, tnx
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q2E,
I haven't tried the pizza yet but jeepdad and Canadian Bacon have. Check their posts. Also, are you sure of your thermometer temp? What kind of grill do you have? Did you spread some corn meal on your pizza stone before you put the pie down?
If your 450 temp was right you might think of preheating, slipping the pizza on to the stone and shut the gas off to use only the built up heat to cook the pizza.
On the charcoal side how close was the pizza stone to the flame?

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27461

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27232&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make them by direct grilling the dough all by itself then add toppings and grill indirect. DO NOT leave them unattended for even a second. Helps to make the doegh thin as possible. They only take seconds to cook this way. Also I put olive oil on them before grilling.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this homemade dough?...or ready made store bought....get the thinest you can....like above...through on grill one side...grill a bit to crisp up...then flip then add sauce, toppings and cover for a few minutes...then done.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roll out a fresh made store bought dough and build the whole pizza and slide it on a regular pizza pan or preheated stone,I only cook it for 40 minutes at around 400 degrees on the side closest to my firebox,pizza crust comes out crisp and golden brown,never had one burn.I will never cook another pizza in my oven.......wood fired pizza rules. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
jawquin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 here. I've done Papa Murphy's, make up my own with pre-made crusts, full size, singles and even frozen pizzas jazzed up. Self risers work great too.

I'm with Canadian Bacon. Wood fired pizza rules. Very Happy
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 09 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i grilled mine on my wifes pampered chef pizza stone. indirect at about 400 for 15 min, came out great. just get the stone hot then slide your pizza onto it. works great
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 09 9:43 am    Post subject: Pizza on a Weber Kettle Reply with quote

Load up that old reliable Weber kettle with some lump charcoal, then fire it up, then set up a stone hearth on it, and just grill up some nice pizza.

Get that done and then grill up some calzones for your group.

Gotta love the old kettle!!!

Article here: http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/
USDA Monkey
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22 09 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pies look great Old Dave!
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27 09 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good looking pizza indeed.
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28 09 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking pies and calzones Old Dave. Very Happy Enjoyed the blog posting too. Very Happy

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
mslatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31 09 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key for me was to cook over indirect heat. I make my own dough, roll it thin, and don't make too big a pie. I generally make 6 pies out of a 4-cup of flour dough recipe. The pies are maybe 10 to 12 inches in diameter (though, to be precise, they're never circular.) Then I drop a crust over the coals for no more than 30 seconds, rotating it to brown it evenly. I pull that, top the cooked side, then cook it indirectly for a few minutes, top of the grill on to melt the cheese and finish the crust. They come out wonderfully. Just some slight char here and there, which gives a terrific flavor.

Even then, this method doesn't always allow me to get the cheese done as well I'd want it (I like it browned) so I will sometimes finish in the oven.
Hoss5355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02 09 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried these on the Weber Kettle yet, but on my Jenn Air Gasser I crank the heat on all the burners as high as it will go and let the stone get up to temp in the center of the grill. On the gauge it reads 700 or so, which I don't really know how accurate that is, but the pizza only takes about 3-4 minutes to cook. I know it is HOT.

I very rarely burn the bottom of the crust as long as I am paying attention. We never make pizza in the house now. Use lots of corn meal on the stone, and keep it hot.
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 09 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an oven therm on my stone sitting in the middle section of the grill. Using a weber 4 burner -- all 4 burners to high. When it gets to ~550 I turn the middle two down to about medium. The stone will stay around 550. Put the pizza on the stone and it is done in about 4 mins. Leave the lid down as long as possible so the heat on top of the pie is as close to possible as the bottom. The difference between well browned and burnt crust is a matter of seconds -- so when the time gets close, keep a close look. I make the crust very thin and so not add a lot of toppings. Would be nice to figure a way to make the top of the pie close to the same temp and the bottom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: