FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build a Double-Barrel Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 4:24 am    Post subject: Build a Double-Barrel Smoker Reply with quote

I had to snap pix for a woman on another site whose son is building her one after seeing mine, so I thought I would share them here. Many thanks to Mike Sell, whose site is unfortunately apparently now down, for the invaluable help the site provided me in the design. I am honored to have been able to see it while it was still up. I never met you or talked to you, Mike, but you helped me out!

Materials:

3 -- 55-gallon closed barrels of similar design (1 is used to make the smoke chamber door, so it overlaps the cutout, and for the diffuser panel OR you can use the cutout metal for the diffuser panel.)
3 -- 3" door hinges
2 -- fixed casters
2 -- swivel casters
1 -- barrel stove kit (Vogelzang)
1 or 2 -- double barrel stove adapting kit
(You can buy 1 kit and order an extra damper from Vogelzang, or buy 2 kits and use the dampers from both, with extra parts left over. If, as I did, you buy the kits on end of heating season closeout, you will save buying the two kits over ordering the parts.)
3 -- racks (available from Wal_mart or other grill parts outlets...I had to cut one in half)
10 feet -- 2" angle iron
8 feet -- 1" angle iron
Nuts and bolts to put it together (each Vogelzang kit will have all nuts and bolts for its parts).
1 -- grill thermometer
1 kit -- door gasket rope (attach this to door with JB Weld, not the glue provided)
16 or so -- Firebricks to line the bottom barrel, halfway up.
Something for a handle, which may be as simple as 1" conduit bolted to the lid.

I welded some parts of this up, but you can just as easily bolt it all together. I bought all my stuff on closeout or end-of-season discount, except I ordered the extra damper, which cost me more than just buying the second kit. I have right at $180 in my smoker. Your costs may vary, especially if you find free barrels and scrounge other items I had to buy.

Be sure you burn a fire in the smoker at around 350 degree before using it, to take care of any contaminants in the barrels and season it in a bit. Like all smokers, it will get better the more you use it.

The pix are kind of self-explanatory. If you build one and have questions, let me know. I will try to help.

Pix of it in action with goat:

...and with pork...

What I like best is that it allows temp control of 175-500 degrees, that I can put two foil baster pans on top of the smoke diffuser and catch all grease, then just toss those out, and that it can be a pure stick-burner or a charcol and wood combo burner. Ashes just shovel out easily through the door.

Thanks for looking!

Here's a bonus picture I saved of Mike Sells' original double-barrel smoker, which I think was part of the smoke rings site at one time...

k.a.m.
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbob, awesome build my man Very Happy and from the looks of those pics you know how to dial her in, thats some fine looking Que. I like the caster setup you have on it as well. Nicely done Smile

Reverse Flow
Hybrid Cooker
Jimbob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. When I first posted it, I had not found all the others that are around on this site! Even a triple-barrel!

When I built it, I wanted to srive for all-metal construction, which is why I welded up the caster stand for it.

I realize the UDS are the rage right now, but I really love this DBS, and especially the easy cleanups. I have plans to do a UDS for smaller smokes. The DBS has had 90+ pounds of meat on it, and it's still too large for just one rack of babybacks or a single chicken. I'd really like to find about a 30-gallon drum and make a UDS out of it for smaller smokes.

Thanks again. I look forward to having fun here.
skeels01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
When I made mine, I put the big bung at the bottom. I leave it open when I'm cooking, to keep the temp up. The intake on the Vogelzang kit is way too small.
I love mine.
Jimbob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeels01 wrote:
Nice job!
When I made mine, I put the big bung at the bottom. I leave it open when I'm cooking, to keep the temp up. The intake on the Vogelzang kit is way too small.
I love mine.

I've not found that a problem on mine, but that's a good point, and something to do if building another one, just in case it is needed. I suppose the smaller one could be opened, as well, but the large one would offer more air.

Normally I burn wood only. The last two smokes, I cheated with charcoal for faster starting. I usually start the fire with the top lid open and the bottom door open and let it burn until everything gets warmed up. Then I slip in the grates and start smoking.

I have found on mine that I work to get temps down, not up. It'll rock on right up to 500 degrees if I let it. But once the fire is started well, I can easily throttle it back to 200-250 range (I cook at 225 ideally). It usually runs with the firebox door slider vent all the way open, the firebox to smokebox vent dampers totally closed, and the chimney damper just barely cracked open. Goes for hours with hickory around 225 nice and steady that way, after being warmed up with the opened up fire.

I've had a blast with it and ate a lot of good grub out of it!
bacardi2001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24 09 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now im just frustrated not only is it hard to find a barrel out here southern california ( san fernando valley ). but nobody will ship me those barrel stove kits because of " CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LAWS ". i tried us stove company and their distributors which make a cheaper ( price ) kit but they all of a sudden ran out of kits and wont get any in until sept. so can any on suggest an alternate way of connecting the 2 barrels ( no welding ) or any other solution for me? thanks alot
homebrew and Q

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25 09 10:20 am    Post subject: double barrell Reply with quote

that is is a damn fine lookin rig ill be goin on vac next wk or the wk after and thats what im doing got my hands on 4 single use food grade 55 gal drums and ill be makin a double barrell and a barrell for the webber conversion. cant wait. and once again damn fine job u did. enjoy
romex2121
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im here to bare witness to the fact this style of smoker DOES WORK WELL i built one a few years ago and it has out cooked the three offsets i have also built,, in fact i have 5foot of 20'' pipe on its way as we type,, my plan is to build something simular to the double barrel with the 1/4'' pipe... on the double barrel i could keep an even heat across the grates,, no hot spots on one end
Phret Bender
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 09 6:51 am    Post subject: Double BBL Reply with quote

Nice looking build. I did a similar one about a year ago and it's been chugging along great. I do agree with the notes that it can use a bit more air intake on the firebox that the kit allows. Opening the small plug helps but I added two other air intakes with dampers beside the firebox door. It helps alot. If anyone has difficulty with the kits give me a holler, my local hardware store keeps them in stock. The diffuser looks great, I use some aluminum pans, disposable, to both catch grease and diffuse the heat/smoke
Phret Bender
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 09 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21647&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=phret&start=0
Jimbob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 09 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bender, I use aluminum pans, too, to catch grease. They sit on top of the diffuser. Nice build you have there. Mine's been built over 2 years, and it has done fine. I am now building a UDS for a comparison. I can say that, building the UDS with new parts and donated Weber, my materials costs are running not that far behind the double-barrel.

For anyone thinking about this build, Vogelzang offers two firebox door styles. The premium style has a better damper system than the el cheapo style, but the el cheapo style was locally available and half-price, a no-brainer for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: