FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Needs Help !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnblaze1281

PostPosted: Jun 14 2009    Post subject: Newbie Needs Help !!! Reply with quote

I went out and purchased my first smoker earlier this week and was hoping to have it up and going by now but I am running into one big problem. I purchased a 38" Smoke Hollow Propane Smoker from Gander Mountain. Going with propane may have been the first mistake but it is what it is. Anyway...... I put the thing together and fired it up to season it. The smoker reached approx. 550 degrees on medium so I immediately cut it back to low and opened the damper but still was only able to get it down to 375- 400 degrees. I have contacted the company and was told that the regulator with the model is a 20,000 BTU and they would send me a 12,500 BTU regulator which they think may solve the issue. The crazy thing is that it will take them 4-5 weeks to get it to me. I really don't want to wait that long to use my smoker. I even took the cast brass burner out and replaced it with a smaller cast brass burner which was a side burner on a gas grill and noticed no difference in temp. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the temp down? I have looked everywhere to try to find a 12,500 BTU low pressure regulator with no luck.
Johnny V
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jun 14 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your thermometer it might be off.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

Ya I would grab the oven thermometer out of the oven in the house or get one at wally world and check that temp sounds like the thermometer is way off. Also you can pick up a reg in the BBQ area of wally world too.also turn the propane valve down that will slow the flow and see if that does anything.and If you bought it at gander I bet They have regs there too.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
johnblaze1281

I forgot to mention that I did use another thermometer and placed it on one of the grates. It was within 10 degrees of the outside thermomteter. I have also cut the flow down from the cylinder with the same results.
whitey
BBQ All Star

Bad Luck,
It sounds like You cant go "Low and slow" with a flame thrower..

20,000 BTU is a crab cooker,it would melt my Lang Shocked Well maybe not the Lang.. But for sure a Weber WSM Wink and a ECB will be a pile melted pile.
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

johnblaze1281, I would contact gander Mountain. If you are within there return policy bring it back and get another. Reason for return? I bought a smoker not a grill, they might just swap her out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hybrid Cooker
johnblaze1281

PostPosted: Jun 15 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for everyone who offered suggestions. I think I have found a fix for the problem. I installed a ball valve after the regulator and I can use it to have a little more control over the gas flow. It seems to be working so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: