FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smoker chimney length (height)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mellowfellow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05 06 6:38 pm    Post subject: smoker chimney length (height) Reply with quote

I have just added an "afterburner H" to my Brinkmann SnP Pro, seems to work just fine. I was looking at the chimney and wondering if there is an ideal length for it, keeping the diameter as a constant, to improve the draw. BTW , aluminum leader fits perfectly on the existing chimney as an extension.
I still have not added the fan inside the cooking chamber as I have to make a 5" fan blade. anyway any thoughts on chimney length???
OXY -ACETYLENE TORCH
box of matches
BBQMAFIA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me more about the Fan.

What type of fan are you installing.
Where in the smoker will it go.
How is it mounted and to what.

Thanks
Guido
mellowfellow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 6:41 pm    Post subject: Smoker Fan Reply with quote

I added the upper shelf , as described by ALIEN , and thought if I added a fan to operate between the upper and lower shelves that may be a good thing. The space between shelves is about 6 inches and so I figger a 5 inch fan blade should be adequate. I haven't installed it yet but I will as soon as I get my yardwork done.
The fan motor mounts on the OUTSIDE center of the cooking chamber opposite the fire box, the motor shaft will extend into the chamber through a 3/16 inch hole and the fan blade (metal) will mount on the extended shaft with about 1 1/2 inches clearance from the side wall to minimize any cavitation effects. Any one planning on doing something similar should make sure there aren't any plastic components on the motor/fan ass'y that could be damaged by heat..I did have a tough time locating a fan that met these requirements and finally got one from a trashed heater, but I have to make a new fan blade or cut the 6 " blade to 5 ".If the mod doesn't work just put screws and nuts into holes (3).
OXY -ACETYLENE TORCH
box of matches
mellowfellow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 6:58 pm    Post subject: more fan stuff Reply with quote

I just realized I did not answer all your questions, sorry.....
The fan is an open frame el-cheapo 110 VAC motor, that mounts with 2 screws, and an aluminum blade. If you have/locate one you may have to reverse the motor rotation , easily done by physically removig and reversing the stator poles. I could take a pix of it but I have no idea how to post it.
OXY -ACETYLENE TORCH
box of matches
Born2Bonk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12 06 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: smoker chimney length (height) Reply with quote

mellowfellow wrote:
I have just added an "afterburner H" to my Brinkmann SnP Pro, seems to work just fine.

Mellow,
I have the same cooker and converted to gas after 6 years of tending wood and charcoal. What's the lowest temp you can hold with the afterburner?? I bought a turkey fryer ($49) and took the burner off that and put in my firebox and can only get as low as 225 degrees. Works awesome for everything except for fish and sausage. I imagine when the weather gets hot this summer I won't be able to keep it below 300 degrees.
mellowfellow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13 06 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...
Last sunday past I had it down to about 170 F. Temperature is no problem.
The stack opening makes a difference also...wide open for lower temps and closing for higher temps. Sounds like you need a smaller jet in your burner.
OXY -ACETYLENE TORCH
box of matches
mellowfellow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13 06 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow-up on my response.....the afterburner uses an adjustable regulator for temp control, you dont use the on/off valve on the tank.
OXY -ACETYLENE TORCH
box of matches
Born2Bonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13 06 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

My stack is always wide open, and I have an adjustable regulator. Your right, I need a lower BTU burner. Smokin has never been easier since I got gas. Cheaper too.
mellowfellow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13 06 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity...what do you pay for a 20# propane refill ?????' locally here its about $24.00
OXY -ACETYLENE TORCH
box of matches
Born2Bonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13 06 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife got it filled the first time at a propane center for $5, the next time it was getting a little low I had it filled at a gas station for $14. I won't be going back to that gas station.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: