FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commercial kitchen indoor smokers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheffie
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 7:57 am    Post subject: Commercial kitchen indoor smokers? Reply with quote

I love my personal smoker (a big twin beast on a trailer) but I also work for a large operation in foodservice. Because of zoning I can't get a permanent outdoor smoker.

My question is, has anyone used or purchased one of those indoor commercial smokers (that obviously need a hood sytem in place)? I have the space, and possibly the budget, but I am curious about the product's results. Is it comparable at all to outdoor, "real " smoking?

Thanks guys!

Cheffie
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25 06 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Southern Pride BMJ-350, which is a gas assisted unit that's around 10 years old. I have only used it once for a "test run" nad the results were amazing.

Not only was the que fabulous, but the actual cooking process was so simple. Literally, I will be able to put a log in the fire box, turn it to desired temperature, and walk away.

I understand new that this unit cost around 12,000 without the hood system.

Hope this helps. KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
voodoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28 06 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used some but the brands escape me.one was a pressure smoker.and the other was an electric with racks.the racks had to b rotated front to back and down to up,so u could get a good smoke ring and even cook on the ribs.the pressure smoker was kinda small but made some good wings..
ribmaster500

PostPosted: Fri May 19 06 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a southern pride and an oyler they r both great pits the southern pride is gas and wood and the oyler is all wood you will get more consistent meat with the southeren pride the oyler cooks good but you have to watch it more make sure you dont smut up your meat the the southern pride cooks ribs alot better than my oyler also it takes the oyler forever to get up to temp and but you get more smoke flavor on your brisket on the oyler all in all if i had to chose one defintyl the southern pride hope this helps
moliskir

PostPosted: Mon May 29 06 7:35 pm    Post subject: Pressure smoker Reply with quote

I purhased a Smokaroma on ebay and paid about $1100 for it. I bought it because, like you, I moved to a place that I could no long use my Texas-style smoker. We own a condo in Chicago, and when I rehabbed the kitchen, I built in a place for it in our pantry and had 220V brought up into the kitchen. My new wife was willing to accomodate quite a bit of hassle and cost to get this thing up here, but we could not be happier.

Guys, this is an amazing tool. I know some purest will scoff at the thought of buying one, but it is terrific. First the thing is so fast. I can cook two whole chickens in 35 minutes or if I wanted to, 45 pounds of ribs in 85 minutes. Further, I use it for cold smoking salmon for lox or sword fish which I then cook on the grill. I make some outstanding smoked mashed potatoes and I have done 20 pound turkeys in 90 minutes or less. If you leave the wood chips out, it cooks just as fast without the intense smoke flavor. I could easily make 30 baked potatoes in an hour. I've done a brisket in about 2 hours, and it tastes as good to me as one slow-cooked for 12. My kids love pulled pork. Two large roasts can be torn apart with a fork after cooking for about an hour. Also, there is very little shrinkage, so you have far moister meat and it just falls off the bone.

On top of all this, it doesn't need special venting. It gets a little smokey in the kitchen, but I have just used a window fan and that pretty much does the trick. If you don't use wood, you need no venting at all. Maintenance-wise, I have yet to have any problem at all, and this unit has to be 15 years old. I use the recommended rubs and sauce mixes, but of course you may use your own. I'm surprised that they have not developed one of these for the home market. The regular price is around $6500 for it new, but check out ebay and find it for far far less. We're hooked.

Feel free to ask me any questions. As you can tell, I'm quite a fan.
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 30 06 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this type equipment. How does it cook so quickly? Convection? Even with convection, I can't believe it can finish product that fast. Sort a takes the fun out of smoking....alllllll daaaaaayyyyy loooooooonnnng.
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27 06 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Pride...
manonlook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23 06 12:45 pm    Post subject: reataurants Reply with quote

Moliskir,

There were 2 units made for the restaurant market; Smokaroma (pressure unit smoker) and Altoshaam slowcooker smoker.

Manonlook
funnyceline

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I am just amazing about the commercial BBQ. It looks really perfect and tasty. I wish I could grill something that is really nice.
Get Your Rub On BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Commercial kitchen indoor smokers? Reply with quote

Cheffie wrote:
I love my personal smoker (a big twin beast on a trailer) but I also work for a large operation in foodservice. Because of zoning I can't get a permanent outdoor smoker.

My question is, has anyone used or purchased one of those indoor commercial smokers (that obviously need a hood sytem in place)? I have the space, and possibly the budget, but I am curious about the product's results. Is it comparable at all to outdoor, "real " smoking?

Thanks guys!

Cheffie

I use Southern Prides for my custom trailers. You do not necessarily need a hood system unles the HD requires it or you can't build the unit into the wall. I install them on the rear wall of our trailers with the face of the smokers in the interior section. I then install the smoke extractor system with exhaust fan. That's it, when the doors are cracked open the exhaust fan kicks in and removes the heat/smoke so it doesn't hit you in the face when you open the doors.

If you ever get to Memphis give me a shout, I'd be glad to show you how the SP's operate.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a lot of restaurants make a lot of money with these smokers.

Check and see if you have to have an NSF or other rated smoker. That is the first hurdle.

Then the fun begins; Ole Hickory, Southern Pride, Cookshack (electric and FE Pellet style), Oyler and more.

for purposes of this forum, I don't think you'll get much "street cred" with your customers if you're using an Alto Sham or a Pressure cooker smoker.

But go with what you want.

Really comes down to regulations first, then it's all subjective. I don't know anyone who owns one of the above that doesn't love them. They all have +/- so take anything the owners say with that in mind.

Gas, no gas, electric, pellets, many, many options.
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
Obviously a lot of restaurants make a lot of money with these smokers.

Check and see if you have to have an NSF or other rated smoker. That is the first hurdle.

Then the fun begins; Ole Hickory, Southern Pride, Cookshack (electric and FE Pellet style), Oyler and more.

for purposes of this forum, I don't think you'll get much "street cred" with your customers if you're using an Alto Sham or a Pressure cooker smoker.

But go with what you want.

Really comes down to regulations first, then it's all subjective. I don't know anyone who owns one of the above that doesn't love them. They all have +/- so take anything the owners say with that in mind.

Gas, no gas, electric, pellets, many, many options.

I agree - i LOVE my oyler. I can not imagine running my restaurant without it, or using another brand for that matter.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought would be can you build a screened in carport in the back and "park your trailer smoker in there and use it?It wouldn't be perm that way.Other wise call up the company that you maybe intrested in and ask if there is any local raunts that have them and go look and talk with the owner see what he likes and hates about it.also don't assume that all smokers are NSF rated,a lot of HD's require NSF.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
Another thought would be can you build a screened in carport in the back and "park your trailer smoker in there and use it?It wouldn't be perm that way.Other wise call up the company that you maybe intrested in and ask if there is any local raunts that have them and go look and talk with the owner see what he likes and hates about it.also don't assume that all smokers are NSF rated,a lot of HD's require NSF.

If anyone that was close enough to me to drive here were to build a competing raunt, there is no way in heck I would ever help them. Why would I? Someone across the country, absolutely - a competitor??? Bad business imo. I see this idea about going and learning on someone elses dime here all the time as well and laugh every time i read it! Can you imagine someone coming to me and saying they would like to learn the bbq trade and work for me for a while so they can open a place right down the road or even the next town over? Would you train someone to compete against you? (not that you said it, i jsut see it posted here often) Just wondering..

In many states this whole idea about "you build a screened in carport in the back and "park your trailer smoker in there and use it?" does not fly by the HD for a restaurant application in many states.
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Commercial kitchen indoor smokers? Reply with quote

Cheffie wrote:

Thanks guys!

Cheffie

i forgot, i have an oyler and a cookshack - the product is not the same coming out. one has wood heat only, the other is electric with a few wood chunks. not even comparable imo. try what you are going to use before you buy it, especially if your income depends on it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: