FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker Modifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers Stickys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDRex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 11 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacEggs wrote:
MDRex wrote:
Mine would not even get to 200, and it was in the sun on a 100 degree day.

Dude, you gotta do day_trippr's mods.
You will not regret it! It worked for me.
And it has churned out some fabulous barbecue! Cool Smile Wink

I've already started. Have a few more things to pick up. I should finish it next week since I'm going to be at the Brockport, NY comp this weekend. Plan to do some charcoal BBQ and some brewing next weekend.
sunyjim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 10:55 am    Post subject: A big thank you!!! Reply with quote

Day tripper you sir are awesome! Laughing
I did a lot of research before buying my smoker, was looking and considering the Weber SM but $300+ for a smoker, I just wasn't sure how much I would use it, then I found your website.
Ended up buying the Master Forge charcoal smoker from Lowes, they had done some improvements over the standard ECB, the charcoal tray clips on to the main body (not really needed except when moving it when cold), the bottom cooking grate has been raised already away from the water pan by 6 inches like your modification, a better door handle with wire wrapping to keep it cool, and a real F reading thermometer in the lid, (Still need one at grill level but it's a start.)

I added two weber charcoal grates, 3 air vents at the bottom 1" holes like yours. (I had a door handle kit with 1" bimetal saw blade) Though I did some fancy painting with modelling enamel rather than the white lines, I drew yellow to red flames for each 1/4, 1/2 3/4 and full and a black circle with a white outline for off. Added the top vent. My next step is the lid rope, and probably the legs.

My first unmodded cook I had to mess with the charcoal every 30 min to keep it going because it was getting choked by the ash, and it would not go over 210F.
now with just a bump of the vents I can go anywhere from 200 to 350 degrees, without the lid rope in place I find that 3-4 hours without messing with the coals is quite easy.

Thanks to your mods, I have an easy to use inexpensive smoker that has impressed the family!
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 11 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, sunyjim! And welcome to the 'Ring!

Glad to hear my humble bloggy page lent you a hand on your Master Forge, and your cooker is behaving nicely now! Sounds like it didn't take as much work as the Gourmet - maybe the folks that build the Master Forge unit were listening? Either way, as her nibs says It's A Good Thing! Wink

Feel free to post pics of a cook some day in the General forum. The group is big on barbecue pr0n! Laughing

Cheers!
sunyjim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 11 7:12 am    Post subject: Master Forge ECB smoker mods Reply with quote

These are my day tripper mods, and the surprising stock thermometer on my Master Forge ECB Smoker

Last edited by sunyjim on Thu Aug 11 11 9:08 am; edited 3 times in total
sunyjim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 11 9:42 am    Post subject: Wow got a lot of blank looks when looking for mod parts Reply with quote

At Lowes, and Home Depot in Canada, kinda struck out

Cool Hi I'm looking for fiberglass stove gasket rope, used for woodstove doors etc.
Shocked do you have the model it's for?
Evil or Very Mad I'm not really using it for the intended purpose can't you look it up? do a search?
Shocked the computer doesn't work that way.

Cool Well how about RTV red high temperature silicone?
Shocked uh did you try painting supplies?
Evil or Very Mad it's not really a painting kind of thing
Shocked Uh I don't really know then
Rolling Eyes Wow, thanks for the... Help

Luckily a woodstove / BBQ place in town sells the rope gasket by the ft. and Canadian tire (sorta pep boys, autozone kinda place with housewares) had the red high temp silicone and actually knew where to find a tube of it, in the automotive section they use it for gaskets etc.
Laughing
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 11 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 11 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wow got a lot of blank looks when looking for mod parts Reply with quote

sunyjim wrote:
Luckily a woodstove / BBQ place in town sells the rope gasket by the ft. and Canadian tire (sorta pep boys, autozone kinda place with housewares) had the red high temp silicone and actually knew where to find a tube of it, in the automotive section they use it for gaskets etc.
Laughing

Hey sunyjim! Welcome to the ring and smoker mods.
Not sure where you are in Canada?
I picked up a fibreglass rope kit at Canadian Tire.
You can also find them at Rona.
Look for them in the wood stove parts area.
Don't buy the high temp stove gasket cement.
It works, but eventually fails as it has no water repelling properties.
I picked up the RTV at a Princess Auto store.
Ya, CT has it and an auto parts store will have them also.
Follow day_trippr's method, and you can't go wrong.

Your smoker looks great! Just needs some legs. Laughing Shocked Confused Cool Wink

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
mick_park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 11 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I know there's tons out there, but I wanted to share my mod of the ECB. A healthy amount of this was gleaned from day_trippr's UberMod, but I went slighly more lax, as some of my stuff doesn't line up perfectly but it works for me.

My girlfriend acquired a promotional Candadian Club-branded ECB and I assembled it and got right to smoking my first batch of ribs with it after reading up a little bit on how to smoke. The first batch was great, but I wanted more control over the fire and vents and the on-board thermometer is a joke.

Our Don Draper-approved Canadian Club ECB:

After reading day_trippr's UberMod and several others', I realized I really wanted a base pan (his is a Brinkmann Gourmet, which comes with one, mine is the standard ECB which does not) to have better access to the fire during a cook. I saw some mods where people turned out the legs on their ECB's smoker body and mounted the charcoal pan on bricks to elevate it off the ground, but I wanted more. So I headed to Craigslist and bought a brand-new ECB for $30

The Sacrificial Craigslist ECB:

My plan was to use the 2nd smoker's lid as a base pan. I'd also be able to pilfer the grates, handles, and hardware.

After making sure the lid would fit inside the bottom of the smoker body and measuring how far in the new pan would sit, the next step was to remove the legs from My ECB and mount them to the outside of the lid of the 2nd smoker (which is now the base pan):

Then a quick trip to day_trippr's UberMod to print out his template for the new dampers, which I tin-snipped and hole-sawed out of a sheet of thin aluminum purchased from Stauber's Hardware in Chicago (GREAT staff who've helped with a bunch of my DIY projects):

Since I used the lid of the old smoker, I had to remove the handle which left behind two small holes. I wanted to utilize those rather than cover them. So I placed one of my new dampers over that small hole to position my vents before cutting into the new base pan. I started by drilling out one 1" hole and then penciled in the rest of the marks from there:

Drilled the rest of the holes and installed the new dampers with 1/4" screws/washers/bolts:

Then I strayed from the UberMod and into my own territory by making stoppers for fully open and fully closed, using cannibalized hardware from the Sacrificial ECB and some of my own washers:

Then drilled out the sides of the new base pan and mounted the handles from the Sacrificial ECB:

Finished base pan. (I got lucky in that the grates from the Sacrificial ECB fit perfectly in the bottom of the new base pan and due to the curve at the bottom have about 2" of space above the dampers:

Next, I drilled out the lid of My ECB and mounted the third damper:

Now to bite my thumb at the stock temp gauge and mount the day_trippr-approved Candy Thermometer. $10 from Stauber's Hardware:

And we're done...

...for now. My hardware store did not stock the fiberglass rope. The kits I saw on the Home Depot site were $30+ and more than I wanted to spend so I'll either source that elsewhere or find another solution.

Many thanks go out to day_trippr and all those on this and other forums for the great ideas. I'm sure I'll be back soon with results of my next smoke, and any other mods I do to my Don Draper ECB.

Cheers!

ps- If anyone is interested in my leftover parts from the Sacrificial ECB, please PM me. They are yours for free, and I'll only charge shipping. Or, if you're in Chicago, come on by and grab 'em:

I have an ECB body, 3 legs, 1 handle, 2 charcoal pans and 1 water pan. There's also the hardware and my leftover aluminum sheet.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 11 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring, mick_park!
Your mods look outstanding! Smile

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 11 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smoke n' grill that I have used once or twice (mostly as a grill) I like the mods and am now on the lookout for a 'doner' unit.
mick_park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 11 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zysmith wrote:
I have a smoke n' grill that I have used once or twice (mostly as a grill) I like the mods and am now on the lookout for a 'doner' unit.

Yes, I liked the fact that the ECB is convertible as a grill- particularly since my only other grill is a very small Smokey Joe and I end up squatting while using it.

I suppose my next step to find a way I can still use my Modded ECB as a grill. Perhaps I could use the leftover charcoal pans and mount some more homemade dampers to them?
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 11 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick_park wrote:

I suppose my next step to find a way I can still use my Modded ECB as a grill. Perhaps I could use the leftover charcoal pans and mount some more homemade dampers to them?

What I do is balance the charcoal pan on the middle rack mounts and place the lower rack on top of it. I then just place the hot coals on the lower rack, replace the top rack and grill away. You have plenty of left-over parts to do that.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 11 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some excellent work modding-up your ECB, mick_park! I enjoy seeing folks come up with solutions to the stock Brinkmann cookers and yours is a good one!

And thanks for documenting it here, this thread gets all kinds of interest from both Gourmet and ECB owners so you've provided some practical options for the latter.

Happy that you found my humble bloggy page helpful in the effort...

Cheers!
Nodden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 11 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings fellow smokers! Thanks for everyone who has posted to this great thread. You've been a great help as I've worked to mod my smoker.

I also bought the Master Forge charcoal smoker from Lowe's. So far I've made two of the bottom intake vents, one top vent, sealed the original bottom vent, sealed the door hinge, and created the raised charcoal tray 1 1/2" off the bottom.

After making all these mods I was able to control the fire much better and didn't have the problem of the ashes choking out the fire two hours in. I DID have the problem of the fire getting choked out after about 6 hours of smoking a pork butt using lump coal.

Is there a good way of removing the ashes during a long smoke? I had mine going for 8 hours (which wasn't near long enough for my first pork butt) and was starting to get so much ash that I could see the bottom vents.
listo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I' did my first smoke on my gourmet the other day. Only mod was the raised charcoal grate. Aside from some spikes it held pretty good with alittle foil around the lid. Beef roast up to 190 (alittle well for my taste) in about 4.5 hours.

I picked up 3 Weber charcoal vents and was wondering if I use just 2 on the bottom and one as an exhaust will it be okay or should I use all 3 for intake and maybe leave the lid as the vent? The vents are the same type used for the lid on the kettle.

Can't wait to smoke some more food as for the price an very little tending to it produced nice tasting food.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, listo! And welcome to the 'Ring!

I believe using a pair of the Weber kettle circular vents as intakes and the third for the exhaust will work just fine, especially if you keep the lid gap filled (with foil, fiberglass rope, or whatever) and plug up that 2" hole in the bottom...

Cheers!
Yonni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05 11 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a ECB today for 10 bucks, gonna try some of these mods, great info here!
dob49737

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 11 11:13 pm    Post subject: ECB Charcoal PAN GRATE Reply with quote

to Day_Tripper.....

Can you give me some more information in regards to what I need to do to raise the Charcoal pan by using another Charcoal grate?....is it.....placing a charcoal grate up off the ground (SS screws as holding bracket) and then placing the Charcoal Pan up on it???... any help would be great

2nd: I was reading the posts earlier about the guy (who has the red ECB) he extended the hole to a 3 inch diameter (you stated that it gave 7 sq inch??)/......

I am getting a MasterForge Charcoal smoker (I'M New) and was researching it...love the information you guys are providing......also at the top i want to ad an air vent damper...would one (say weber 4 circle damper be good enough). I know that smoke needs to escape so there will be no a way for the ash and any other particles can escape instead of sticking to the food.

Again Thanks for any help
fxpose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14 11 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: ECB Charcoal PAN GRATE Reply with quote

dob49737 wrote:

2nd: I was reading the posts earlier about the guy (who has the red ECB) he extended the hole to a 3 inch diameter (you stated that it gave 7 sq inch??)/......

I'm that guy with the red Gourmet. That 3" diameter hole I made was rather large for a smoker that size. It works fine, although I never open it fully. I could have gone with the existing stock hole size which was about 1.5" or so.
Even my 55 gallon drum smoker has smaller air inlets than my ECB.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14 11 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: ECB Charcoal PAN GRATE Reply with quote

dob49737 wrote:
to Day_Tripper.....

Can you give me some more information in regards to what I need to do to raise the Charcoal pan by using another Charcoal grate?....is it.....placing a charcoal grate up off the ground (SS screws as holding bracket) and then placing the Charcoal Pan up on it???... any help would be great
[...]

Greetings, dob49737! And welcome to The 'Ring!

I'm a bit confused about your question. The mods I did to the charcoal pan are pretty clearly pictured on my web page, but to review, I used three stainless steel bolts to hold the first grate about an inch or so above the bottom of the pan. Then later I added a second grate, laid on top of the first but rotated 90° wrt the first, so together they formed a grid pattern.

The charcoal pan itself is in its original position, resting on the rim of the lower body shell, and in turn the upper body shell rests on the rim of the charcoal pan, as per the original design.

If I missed the intent of your question, please feel free to give it another try! Sometimes I'm just a bit slow on the uptake Wink

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers Stickys All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: