FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basics of Briskets
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10 06 11:33 am    Post subject: Basics of Briskets Reply with quote

I have received a lot of emails asking about the different parts of a brisket we talk about on the forum. Here is a quick down and dirty basic brisket layout.

Pictured below is the fat cap we refer to on occasion. This is normally cooked fat side up in the smoker (as shown).

Sometimes you will hear us refer to a brisket flat. Here is a photo of a flat and the point. The flat actually runs from one end to the other, however when most people refer to a flat, they are actually talking about Ĺ of the brisket. The deckle or point is the fattier section that runs below the flat. To get a nice piece of brisket that you donít have to chew on to bite through, you will need to cut your brisket against the grain of the meat. Two things you will want to know though. Donít cut the brisket until after it is cooked and secondly, the deckle or point meat runs the opposite direction of the flat. I like to separate the two after cooking at the fat ridge that separates the two. This is just my choice, how you do it is up to you. I normally use the deckle for chopped brisket, and the flat for sliced brisket, but other people do it differently.

Finally here is the all important smoke ring. It is the red area that forms at temperatures below 140 degrees. After 140 degrees the formation stops but the favor keeps going. Electric smokers have a hard time forming a good smoke ring. I am not saying that they canít, I have just never seen one do a good job at it.

That is the basics of what we talk about when we talk brisket. There are different techniques out there that will give you different results, but this is a good starting point.
Big George's BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you that was very helpful, especially for me who is still trying to learn the ins and outs of smoking. I have only tried one Brisket so far, a flat, and it turned out great. I am going to try to do one this weekend with a Boston Butt for pulled pork. I figure they both should take about 8-10 hours. I pulled the Brisket off at about 190 degrees. Do I want to pull off the Butt at around the same temp. I yhave never tried to cook the cap or the point. How long do they take
Big George's BBQ
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cook them both to 190 reguardless of how long it takes. The general rule of thumb is 1.5 hr per pound for brisket and 2 hrs per pound for butt @ 225 degrees. Good luck.
mikekilian1947
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien

Very nice tutorial. I had wonered when I first came onto the list what the brisket pieces that were being discussed, and pictures and information like this really help! Thank you!

Mike
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to separate my brisket into the 2 different pieces before cooking..I feel like I have better control that way...
auto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
I like to separate my brisket into the 2 different pieces before cooking..I feel like I have better control that way...

Why?? My first brisket was a brisket flat and it turned out great through blind luck. Next time I will do a whole brisket and want to know the ins and out. Laughing
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I normally use the deckle for chopped brisket

Nope, use them to make Burnt Ends. Like eating popcorn. Once you start eating it, you can't stop.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11 06 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the tip sliced, it made some great sammies even with the extra fat. I want to try the burnt ends, aint had em yet but hear they are real good.

I just find it hard to drop the money on brisket, it is way over double the cost of butt and for egual money I would rather smoke ribs. Not that I aint eaten it enough.

Alien, how did you add the text to the photos..?
I think you did a great job, you could also maybe add a cross section of each part of the brisket to show the texture of the meat.. Just an idea.
LIAR #100
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12 06 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop 7
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12 06 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto wrote:
DawgPhan wrote:

Why?? My first brisket was a brisket flat and it turned out great through blind luck. Next time I will do a whole brisket and want to know the ins and out. Laughing

Why do I have better control? Because it is basically 2 different pieces of meat.
BubbaRib

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of good info here....

Doing my first brisket this weekend for my birthday....

I already have the rub I plan to use for it, but had a few questions.

Would you foil a brisket like you would a butt to finish the cooking process? If so, why???? If not, why????

At what temp would you pull your brisket?

Thanks, for the wealth of info and knowledge of Q here..... Gotta' love this place!!!!
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BubbaRib wrote:

Would you foil a brisket like you would a butt to finish the cooking process? If so, why???? If not, why????

Thanks, for the wealth of info and knowledge of Q here..... Gotta' love this place!!!!

I wouldnt foil anything, so no...
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BubbaRib wrote:

Foil?....no, unless it gets done early and you want to hold it in a cooler.

Pull it at 190-195 and let it rest for at least 45 mins under a foil tent(unless its done early and then see above).
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:

I just find it hard to drop the money on brisket, it is way over double the cost of butt and for egual money I would rather smoke ribs. Not that I aint eaten it enough.

I feel sorry for you roxy. I was just at the store this weekend and saw brisket for $1.30 a pound. Makes me feel lucky. Very Happy
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradM wrote:
roxy wrote:

I feel sorry for you roxy. I was just at the store this weekend and saw brisket for $1.30 a pound. Makes me feel lucky. Very Happy

Must be nice Brad, If I could get the stuff for that price I'd do it more often. For a decent sized packers it will cost ya 45-50 bucks and thats a mountain of ribs.
LIAR #100
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you for skipping it!
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba Rib -- I also do not foil............I am happy spritzing and just cooking it as long as it takes to get it to 195-200 degrees.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn roxy! 45-50 for a brisket up there???? Shocked Shocked Shocked Must be a Canadian thing. Down here, if I go to the expensive butcher, I'll pay about 25 for a big packer brisket. At Sams Club I'll spend about $20, but it's not as reliably high quality as the butcher is.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
Damn roxy! 45-50 for a brisket up there???? Shocked Shocked Shocked Must be a Canadian thing. Down here, if I go to the expensive butcher, I'll pay about 25 for a big packer brisket. At Sams Club I'll spend about $20, but it's not as reliably high quality as the butcher is.

sounds right here too...........I have been getting smaller (8-10 pounds) packers at Sams for $15 or so.
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are advertised on sale at Safeway for $5/lb. Holy Smokes, even a little 1 is $50, guess it is more chicken. Safeway also has Butts on sale for $2/lb ouch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: