FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Competition BBQ trash talk.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Good one! Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg:

I remember a time when you would not have stayed on the channel long enough to see through the hype.
Just caue he dont know what BBQ is dont mean he aint a great cook, he has studied under a few of the best and like BBQMAN said, his success kicks us all to the curb.
LIAR #100
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokinsmokey:

Go To Of Topic..

Tony
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15 06 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Dawg:

I remember a time when you would not have stayed on the channel long enough to see through the hype.
Just caue he dont know what BBQ is dont mean he aint a great cook, he has studied under a few of the best and like BBQMAN said, his success kicks us all to the curb.

I dont remeber saying that he wasnt a great cook...just that his show was terrible...
krazylegs
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16 06 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Does Smokin' Sumpin' get extra credit for turning off the caps lock!? Laughing

Here's a little something for Smokin Sumpin, done in Foghorn Leghorn's (the big cartoon rooster) voice " I say, the boy is thicker than a phone book, boy!". Rolling Eyes

That is classic BBQ Man, foghorn was my favorite character, My gramps sounds just like him, man you have me rollin' literally

my turn

foghorn " Boy, I say, boy, dont ya know ya gonna hurt your self with that crazy contraption bolo thing, now give it here before that wida hen catches you with it.

my favorite ones I think is with foghorns cousin "red" and the chicken hawk. Great now I have to watch cartoon networks "boomerang" channel.
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 6:27 am    Post subject: Comp Trash? Reply with quote

I'll give ya some Competition Trash talk!!! In my opinion (just mine) I think comps are a joke. It is a really great place to meet and be with good people that have a lot in common about BBQ. But, the judging is a joke and there is NO consistency to it. If I want to spend $700.00 and stay up all night, I'll send out for a couple of Lady's of the Night. I smoke BBQ about 3 times a week, anyway.
I attended one comp and took a 1st Place in Chicken and a 1st Place in Brisket. That my friends was a**** accident. I have cooked better stuff drunk than that stuff was. Made me wonder what the **** everyone else turned in. Joke, Joke.
I think they should give everyone a trophy just for showing up to a comp. They really don't mean anything anyway. My family, catering clients and friends think I smoke the very best Q they have ever eaten and that's all that matters.
Trophies Smophies!!!! Who gives a Care!!!!!
There, that's some comp trash for ya'll to chew on.
Have a GREAT weekend
Smoking chicken thighs wrapped in bacon tomorrow morning for some clients and they could care less about no stinking trophy.
Whew, I am glad I got that out. Where's the aspirin?
Smoke That!!!!!!
ed
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...OK...to each his own.

Just curious though...if the comps are such a waste of money, and the judging is such a joke, why did you become a KCBS certified judge recently? Confused
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Mike, I thought the same thing when I read the KCBS creditation at the end of the post.

I think comps are great if you take em as a crap shoot and the reason you go is for fun, friendship and the chance to crank out some Q in the hopes you might win some scratch to cover costs.

I have never competed as yet but it is still the best hobby I ever had, damn hard to eat golf balls and a BBQ'd chicken tastes better than a birdie or eagle any day.
LIAR #100
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 9:22 pm    Post subject: Exactly Reply with quote

That's exactly what I said. Comps are only for fun and it is a crap shoot. That's why the trophies don't mean much as to determine who is cooking the best. It's just luck.
If you have never competed, GO DO IT!!!. It is an expereice that is quite unique. You may want to do them all the time. For me, it was very expensive and a lot of work.
As far as smoking for fun? I'll bet there isn't anyone on these forums that smokes more than me unless they operate a BBQ business. I smoke about 3 times EVERY week and have done so for 20 years just for fun.
The Judge thing? I went just to see what KCBS was teaching their Judges. It was a good time and I learned a few things. It was worth the time and money.
But, that also opened my eyes to how people judge. The scores at the same table for the same meat were from 3-9. Didn't make sense and that's why if you are turning in a good product (can't win with crap) it is the luck of the draw.
Again, I think comps are a GREAT place to get together with GREAT people and have fun. The trophies?, they don't mean Jack. Almost anyone that attends on any given day can win. And if you do win, the money from MOST conps would not cover gas money.
Just not worth the time and money to me.
And, After seeing the way some of those people cooked their meat and how they were so stoned drunk and what was going on in those sites while they were cooking???? I would NOT Judge a contest even if they paid the Judges GOOD money. Man, you should have seen what some people were turning in and those Judges had no idea and were eating that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's not a good time in my book.
Thanks and I'm glad I got ya all going. Rememer, you asked for it.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! and have a GREAT smokin' weekend. Going out and put on those chicken thighs and some salmon.
Remeber, I am a Champion in smoking Chicken. Got a trophy to prove it. Ha, Ha, Ha.
P.S.
I have decided instead of competing, I am going to do 3 Smoke Offs this summer for 3 different local charitable organizations and donate my time, my smoker and the meat. Feed as many people as we can and raise as much money as I can for those charities. Now that is money well spent, a good time, smokin' BBQ and feeding people that will appreciate it and they will probably ALL think the BBQ is great.
Smoke On!!!!!
ed

SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm. Things that make you go hmmmmmm?????

Is there a moon phase out there and everyone talking more trash.

Makes me think of a saying...Those that can, compete, those that can't compete sit on the sidelines.

Well I'm glad you won something at a contest. What contest was it by the way, was it sanctioned or a local event? How many teams?

Okay and you're KCBS certified, how many comps have you judged? I just cooked meat for a comp judges class and it's not the same as I turn in at my comps. But it's food safe.

Glad not competing isn't for you. It certainly is expensive, yeah so is fishing. What isn't these days. In fact, come on down to one of my contests and compete. I'll see you over there partying on. Great group of people at comps down here too. And when you party on all night, I've got a good idea who'll be on the stage the next day.

But for those of us compete, we compete because we love to do it. Do I win, yup, got a pretty good percentage of finishing in the top 10. As my own team, no Grand Champions nor Reserve Grand, but I put a great big chunk of change in the bank last year from winning.

Consistency. Always following the same group of winners as they're that good and that consistent. That's not a crap shoot, that's skill. Now the difference between me getting a first and a fifth might be which table, but I'm usually not getting that bad a score.

And there are teams out there serving a lot of bad barbecue and it scores bad because no one has ever told them or rated it. does your family love it? Do you friends love it? Good. Doesn't mean the judges will. And that doesn't mean your family is wrong OR the judges either.

You just don't get it and probably won't. I'd equate it as trying to convince you to love a game I do, golf, if you're not good at it. Some people love the competition, love that push to be better.

I too love it for the teams I get to meet and I also love it for how much it pushes me to be better.

So how much I smoke a week determines how much I good at it or how much I love it? Nope. I've been BBQ'in probably longer than you've been alive.

Does that make me better?

Nope, just someone who's love this Sport, social event, family gathering long enough to know that everyone of us LOVE BBQ and we're all right.

And I love to teach BBQ. More than a few people have stopped by my team and asked a lot of questions and gotten an answer or two.

Ah, trash talk. Ain't it fun.

p.s. Good on you for volunteering your time. FYI, in case you missed it, a couple of the people from this forum did something similar for Katrina. Jeff, Mike and myself. You can see how we're motivated also:

Katrina Cook
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie,

Nice post and I sure agree with everything you said. Have you got that trailer yet? Betcha can't wait to get going on that project.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:
SmokinOkie,

Nice post and I sure agree with everything you said. Have you got that trailer yet? Betcha can't wait to get going on that project.

Thanks, just an opinion...mine Cool

Nope don't have it yet. You and me both. I should be here in 2 weeks or less. I'll take photos and post.
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18 06 11:01 pm    Post subject: Smokin Man Reply with quote

That's why God made us all different. Life is good.
Have a GREAT weekend and Smoke On!!!!!
ed
One last thing, Smokie. If you have been BBQing since before I was born (I am almost 60) you had better get out there and have some fun. That would make you SO old, that the Ol' Boy is tiptoeing right behind you and he's gonna take you really soon. Being since you are around 80 or so, you ain't got much time left to Q!!!!!!
Gotcha.
Ed
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin Man Reply with quote

kickassbbq wrote:
That's why God made us all different. Life is good.
Have a GREAT weekend and Smoke On!!!!!
ed
One last thing, Smokie. If you have been BBQing since before I was born (I am almost 60) you had better get out there and have some fun. That would make you SO old, that the Ol' Boy is tiptoeing right behind you and he's gonna take you really soon. Being since you are around 80 or so, you ain't got much time left to Q!!!!!!
Gotcha.
Ed

Gosh what a comeback. Yup you got me, what a response. What a debate. Sorry, don't have an answer for that one. Confused

If you took it personal I apologize, that's not my intent. Nope, I've not been smoking longer than you are alive. Saw your photo on your website and you don't look 60. Like you said on your website, you've been cooking for 20 years, so you've been around a while. BBQ must have preserved you well.

Good looking ribs by the way.

No counter to my points, no answering the questions? Out of that whole response, just the comment about age. Guess that's why they call it trash.

You want to talk about competitions, great, let's talk. You don't, that's okay too. You throw it out and don't have to answer to it. You trash competing, but don't provide your qualifications. Give us some background. How many contests? Judged any yet or just a class? You throw out some many comments about contest, guess that's cause you're done a lot of them. Or read about them on other forums. Guess that's trash talking all right.

Oh, and I have plenty of fun, thanks for reminding me. That's why I don't Q as much as you do every week. I've gotten good (not perfect) and I have other interests.

Good luck and have a great weekend yourself and Smoke On yourself

But your right, it's fun and maybe I'm right it's the Moon Phase. Trash talking, gotta love this thread...

Cool
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by looking at the phot that it is about 20 to 25 years old going by the hair cut and the shirt pattern and style. Early 80's I'd say. Green beer bottles is another give away.

I got to say I love the passion you guys have for BBQ, both to compete and not to.

Kickass, may the smoker gods bless the events you got planned for this season.
LIAR #100
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 1:50 am    Post subject: Old? Reply with quote

Hey Smokie,
We do have fun here!!!! I'll try and get ya a pic of me now. That will let you know that BBQ has NOT preserved me well. That pic was taken in 85, and I was about 35.
Sheeeze, there is NO future in getting old. But, your only as old as ya feel and I feel pretty good.
Thanks for the fun and have a great weekend.
Thanks Roxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
ed
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel. I don't allow pictures to be taken of me.

Well, some I do, um, that's me in the middle Cool

Wife arranged this at Memphis in May one year. Ladies from Playboy, they were a bunch of them at BBQ.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread there guys! I must say, you look great with the girls there smokinokie! Wink

I agree with both you guys actually. Comps are good for the experience, comraderie, and bragging rights. Unless you own a restaurant, all the trophies just add up to a great looking shelf in the den, and a few bucks in the bank. I would like to add "award winning" to my website for whatever that's worth, although my clients all agree that my food is great without having any hardware!

Side note: while at the Big Pig Jig last fall, we stopped in at Myron Mixon's BBQ joint on Cordelle- Jacks Old South. Every nook and cranny has tropies lined up, even on the floor! He has two storage garages for all the lesser placing ones as well! Lots of grand champions, 1-3rs places and on and on! Very impresssive. Over the last 10 years Myron has collected 100's of trophies and over $80,000 in prize money. That is not enough cash to support the habit I would imagine. Bottom line (and here is the kicker) the food tasted like CRAP! Shocked Fun to see the trophies, but I would never spend my money there again!

As I get a little older, and have the time, competitions will be on my calender more often. As I'm not quite as old as you fellows (early 40's), I need to go out and keep the cash coming in!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMan, hope to see you out there some time. If you ever start competing, there are multiple friends I have all compete in Florida.

It's fun, but it's work.

This year, I'm doing an exact accounting of what it costs. Taking out the initial expenses (which can be big) I'm detailing how much I spend on each contest.

One way to make money is to get sponsorships. Those help significantly, but they aren't the reason I compete.

Judging? Yeah, THAT'S a whole issue that kickass is right about. But think about it, you go to a contest, and some sponsor who paid $10,000 to sponsor a contest gets his/her friends to be judges. Well, they probably started partying the night before and want to judge because it sounds fun.

The key is the Table Captain (I've been one). The TC has the role/responsibility to help the 6 judges at the table judge accordingly.

No it's not perfect.

Yes judges bewilder the #$%^ out of me many times.

But I still have a blast.

There certainly will be "reports from the road" this year as 4 of us on the forum compete against each other. 2 experienced guys (me and Mike) and 2 new guys (Jeff and Okie Jay). We'll probably get stomped on by the new guys but HEY we're still having fun.

For old guys (me). The other 3 are just pups.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19 06 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys have it down pretty good!

I hope one summer to get out to a comp and meet you guys. This year has been kind of tough on the old wallet. My big dog needed a knee replacement (not cheap!), as well as some other unforseen expenses! Shocked Thank God I have been busy enough to pay cash for all the bills and not go into debt! Very Happy

Have fun this summer, and keep us posted! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: