FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How-To: Folding Food - Burritos and Chimichangas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgwerks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31 09 8:45 am    Post subject: How-To: Folding Food - Burritos and Chimichangas Reply with quote

I have gotten some emails about trying to keep these packages nice and tight, as sometimes it's difficult to roll or fold chimichangas or burritos so that the filling doesn't leak out when heated or fried. Here's a little photo essay on the way I do it - works every time!

Lay out your large burrito-sized tortilla after warming it up in the microwave to make it soft and pliable. You want it fairly warm, but not cooked. Place your filling across it sideways, leaving an inch and a half or two at each end. Make sure you don't fill it too much. Here you see a layer of cheese going on first.

I then added the rest of the filling. in this case, it is for my "Quick and Cheesy Chimichangas" (see blog). After filling, fold the sides as in the picture below. Notice below how the tortilla is folded tight to follow the contour of the filling - this is important to keep the ends from sticking out.

While holding the sides down, fold the bottom flap up and tightly over the filling as in the picture below. You are doing this to make sure there aren't any air pockets inside by keeping the tortilla right against the filling.

Next, fold the body of the food up and over away form you and on top of the remaining flap. This is the best way to keep it from trying to unfold. Give it a couple of presses with your fingers to help set the shape.

Turn the beast over. if the outside flap (rounded edge) is too long and sticks out, you can tuck it under as I did in the picture below. Then pin the flap with toothpicks as shown to keep it from unfolding while cooking.

If frying chimichangas, I always do the toothpick side down first, to hold the set better. Here's some chimichangas I did this way and you can see how nice they held their form, even after toothpicks are removed.

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31 09 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo essay, that looks so easy I think it may get a roll out tomorrow night for the kids.

I still work here!
BurninBoar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02 09 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little tip. When I worked at the mexican restaraunt we would mix flour and water together to make "glue" Just before making that last fold, smear the flap with the glue, fold it over and it will stay put, even in the deep fryer. Just my 2 cents!

"Why choke chicken if you can pull pork?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: