FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COMPETITION CHECKLIST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOSEPHCALVIN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 09 10:03 am    Post subject: COMPETITION CHECKLIST Reply with quote

I am entering into my first competition in a couple of weeks and would like any advice anyone could give. Also if anyone has a checklist of things I will need to bring along I would appreciate if you will share it with me.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 09 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=862

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3173

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5054

I still work here!
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 09 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set everything up at home like your doing a comp. then every time you go in the house to get something you need write it down on your list. Also practice the timing of your food and or have something with you to keep it warm if it comes off early. Food doesn't have to be warm but it doesn't hurt. Also don't do what I did at my first (last week) don't deviate from your plan.
JOSEPHCALVIN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 09 9:35 pm    Post subject: competition Reply with quote

thanks for all the help, please keep it coming.
Smellwhatscookin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15 09 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first comp was last year in june. I was nervous. I entered all 4 catagories. I had done some cooks before. You are always thinking of how long things are going to take to cook. Well don't sweat it. I thought the way the day started off when we turned in the peoples choice which was butts. They turned out not very good. I thought boy this is going to go great. Then came time for all the other catagories about 2 hours later. THere was 28 teams there and I was very happy how I did at it. I placed best in ribs was 12th and overall place was 18th. I was happy with that. Just go out and have fun. Alot of people there will be willing to help you out. They are a big family. Once the first one is done it comes all easier at the next one and once you done the first one you will have the bug to do more. Good luck
JOSEPHCALVIN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15 09 2:31 am    Post subject: competition Reply with quote

thanks for the advice
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice?

Read through the comp forum. Really. There are literally hundreds of tips here and it's hard to repeat those. Have a look and feel free to ask any specific questions.

Russ
JOSEPHCALVIN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 10:48 pm    Post subject: competition Reply with quote

thanks, I'll do that.
NCBBQFAN
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 09 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidder wrote:
Set everything up at home like your doing a comp. then every time you go in the house to get something you need write it down on your list. Also practice the timing of your food and or have something with you to keep it warm if it comes off early. Food doesn't have to be warm but it doesn't hurt. Also don't do what I did at my first (last week) don't deviate from your plan.

After a time or two youíll be able to define better what you need and donít need. Remember all that stuff you pack before the contest when youíre excited and well rested, youíll half to unpack when you get home after 30 or more hours without very much sleep. The third contest I did, I think I took about 30 or 40% less stuff than I did the first time, but if youíre not sure take it. And remember enjoy and if you donít get a call, itís the judges fault.
JOSEPHCALVIN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 09 5:51 am    Post subject: competition Reply with quote

Thanks, It's getting closer to the competition and I'm getting really nervous. All advice is appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: