FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st pulled pork..have a question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23 09 9:37 am    Post subject: 1st pulled pork..have a question. Reply with quote

Decided to try a butt some time this week. I have read that people inject it first. Do you have to inject it and whats the diffrence if you dont? Thanks in advance.
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23 09 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Grimey - I'm sure I'm missing a few of the more subtle points, but here's my take on the answer to your question. "generally" speaking, there are 2 reasons to inject - to add flavor, or to add moisture. Or, of course, to do both.

Pork shoulder is loaded with connective tissue, so with low/slow cooking you definitely do not need an injection for moisture. The shoulder will be plenty moist from all that connective tissue breaking down.

So in your case I'd say it comes down to are you wishing to add flavor to the inside? For me - I love the pairing of the bark meat with the white inner meat - I make my bark thick and very spicy, that's all the extra flavor I need, and it gives you an instant choice between the very savory/spicy bark meat (sometimes called "Mr. Brown") and the very juicy tender inner meat (sometimes called "Mrs. White" - these references are from a very popular recipe I use myself called "The Renowned Mr. Brown") so anybody who's eating has a choice. So - do you want Mrs. White to pack a flavor other than it's natural flavor? Then inject.

Other than that, as with most things 'q, there's really no hard fast rule. If I had to guess, I'd bet that most do not inject butts, relying instead on outer rub and smoke flavor.

Hope this helps.
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Grimey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23 09 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helps alot! Thank you very much!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24 09 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is BBQ not cordon blu, there's no "Have to" in it!

I have injected in the past when trying for a particular flavor, but I found it could be a pain in the neck when using my own rubs and I hadn't ground the ingredients down fine enough to pass safely through the needle of the injector.

So that was 3 years ago, and although I still have the kit and ability, I just don't bother with the added aggravation.

Inject if you want to, don't inject if you don't want to, it's good to try all techniques at least once, then you will have your own opinion to base your descision on! Wink Laughing Wink

Let us know which way you go and how it all turns out?

I still work here!
Grimey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24 09 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Soezzy. I just put rubb on it last night and threw it on the pit today. Ill post up the finished results tonight. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: