FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mulberry ? Hackberry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwildy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06 09 10:41 pm    Post subject: mulberry ? Hackberry Reply with quote

After the recent ice storm here in NE Arkansas and SE Missouri plenty of wood especially oak and pecan is available. I have come across a real light colored wood, the old timers here call it hackberry. light colored wood, slick bark. not sure on the leave but maybe this spring I can identify it more. it splits real easy, the old timers said to split it while its green / wet because when it gets dry it will be hard to split. I have burnt some in the fireplace to see what it is like, it is very smokey, smells ok, wandering what it will be like after it dries some.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07 09 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of some people using it but mixed with other woods & i have heard not to use it for smoking.
Great for the fire place though.
I use mulberry and the same goes with it. Some do, some don't..... but i do. Let the mulberry dry for at least 18 months better the closer ya get to 2 years. Its a real sappy wood & needs the extra time to season.
Mulberry pic leaves & bark.....
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/images/large/mulberryleaves.jpg
The bigger branches/logs will have a small darker core of heart wood. At least the types of mulberry we have up here does. Sweet smell some what like apple wood after it is well seasoned.
mpwildy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 09 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I guess the only way to really know foe myself is to try it this summer.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 09 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area hackberry is a tree with extremely warty bark, and the LSU web site lists it as 'sugarberry' with an alternate name of hackberry. It doesn't sound like the same wood you have by the description of 'slick bark' you posted, but ti's something similar since you mentioned how white the wood is when split.

http://www.rnr.lsu.edu/plantid/webtour/species/sugarberry/sugarberry.htm

edit - fixed the hyperlink Embarassed

Last edited by necron 99 on Mon Mar 16 09 5:52 am; edited 2 times in total
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the bark you described is similar to birch. It gets real smokey and isn't good for cooking with unless you remove the bark. But then again, I don't know if that wood is good for cooking with anyways. If you really want to try it, see if you can strip away the bark first.

I've used mulberry once in a while. Its O.K. Some like it some don't. Usually if I do use it, its for really small cooks like burgers.
mpwildy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is exactly the tree i was trying to describe, i did not think of "warty". but the little "warts" are all over the bark. very light colored wood.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops - I just realized I'd mis-pasted the LSU link in my earlier post on this thread - now corrected Embarassed

You can see the difference in the fruit shape of the hackberry / sugarberry to the mulberry on the LSU link.

Mulberry

http://www.nutritiondietshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mulberry-tree-nutrition-health-diet.jpg
Jim_K
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulberry wood from a mature tree will be yellow to a yellowish brown color. I do a lot of woodturning and have used both woods for some of my work.
If its Hackberry it will start to spalt fast, it's a soft hardwood but IDK how it would be for smoking.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16 09 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hackberry shows up on the list that's part of the 'sticky' at the top of this topic section of The Smoke Ring - but I have no personal experience with using it.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14774
jujuboy77
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03 09 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use mulberry for chicken and turkey quite often and i really enjoy it! i always mix it though with pecan or hickory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: