FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goya Sazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Char Grilla
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 01 2009    Post subject: Goya Sazon Reply with quote

Goya is the name brand and sazon just means seasoning, but has anyone used it? I think the key ingredient is achiote or annatto. It's a Mexican seasoning. It's a little hard to find even here in central California. I'm using it for a chili recipe, but I am having a hard time finding it. I hear I will find it at one of the stores that specializes in Mexican food. Besides my Chili, how else could it be used? KNow of any substitutes?
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: May 01 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sazon can be used in just about anything from dry seasoning to soups. The main ingredient (or one of the main ingredients) is MSG. I have no problem using MSG, but some folks claim they are affected.

Sazon is VERY common on the east coast...at least in North Carolina where I'm from.

Another pretty good product is the dry "Adobo" seasonings by Goya. There are several different "flavors", but I like the one that is based on the Sazon flavoring.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: May 02 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use it in my chili also. i find it at fred meyers in the gourmet food section. i havent tried the other goya products but eill get around to it.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: May 03 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it w/ rice all the time. 1 cup long grain rice, 2 cups chicken stock, 2 packets sazon, 2 TBS olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Great with grilled pork, chicken, seafood, or veggies.
Char Grilla
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 06 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found it. Craziest thing. I live in a agriculture area in central ca. The Mexican American population here is about as high as it can get. Unbelievably, non-of the local stores carry any Goya products, but when you go to one of the local Carnacerias, they have a whole isle dedicated to Goya products. These big chain stores are missing out.

It is a good spice. I guess the main ingredient is annatto. Anyone have anything to say about annatto?
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: May 06 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Char Grilla wrote:
Well, I found it. Craziest thing. I live in a agriculture area in central ca. The Mexican American population here is about as high as it can get. Unbelievably, non-of the local stores carry any Goya products, but when you go to one of the local Carnacerias, they have a whole isle dedicated to Goya products. These big chain stores are missing out.

It is a good spice. I guess the main ingredient is annatto. Anyone have anything to say about annatto?

IMO, annatto is more about color than flavor...kinda like paprika or tumeric.
Char Grilla
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 08 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:

IMO, annatto is more about color than flavor...kinda like paprika or tumeric.

They sell it with or without annatto, or Anchiotte I think they call it.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: May 08 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annatto is certainly more color than flavor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: