FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here is something you guys don't get to see too often

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 2:49 am    Post subject: Here is something you guys don't get to see too often Reply with quote

Bobbie & I were stacking firewood closer to the house today, It is a nice beautiful sunny day with temps hovering around 24 degrees (Almost bikini weather for up here) And I hear all this squawking happening in one of our trees. I move around to see what the commotion was and thought that maybe one of the local bald eagles had a fresh kill he was squawking about.

This is the first time I have ever seen 2 bald eagles roosting together, hopefully this is a mating pair and they are scoping out nesting sites in our yard. They usually choose trees on the edges of lakes for snagging fish in the summer, But I would be very pleased if they built a nest here. At least the squirrel and chipmunk population would be thinned out a little if they did.

Chuck
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 3:23 am    Post subject: bbq Reply with quote

Harry they want you to cook some Q for them and the little ones
that will soon be on the way.

Why fish when Harry will cook for us said one eagle to the other.

Cool picture

Stilwell Chuck
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,d post some pics of the creatures around here but I don,t want to scare anyone Laughing Laughing

there are a awesome animal only get to see them when i go fishing up in canada
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pic Harry.

There's at least 3 bald eagles in our area, but I never have the camera handy when I see them. Most recently saw one flying at about twice treetop height over our property and our neighbor's last week, while firing up the smoker just before dusk.
mgwerks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we spent 2 weeks driving through southern Alaska. I never expected to see so many Bald Eagles! Beautiful sight; here's a shot from a boat when we were out cruising the glaciers.

Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pic harry! i was over in the wallowa mtns. a few weeks ago and saw probably a dozen eagles, i never tire of the sight.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very majestic looking birds,I could use a pair of them in my tree,might cut down on the stray kitty population around here Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 09 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every summer I have a friend from Milwaukee come up for a week so we can fish like a bunch of fools for 14-16 hours a day, every day!
A few years ago he says to me "WTF, you guys got eagles floating around up here like we got crows down by us, what gives?"
Occasionally when I gut-hook a fish and I know it will not survive a release, I'll wave it in the air to get an eagles attention, when they start circling I can throw it in the air and watch them catch it.
They are neat to watch, loud as hell when they are squawking, but they can also be a pain in the ass when your out ice-fishing. In the wintertime it is common to see a bunch of eagles standing on the lakes harassing fishermen for their fish, they look like a flock of big turkeys standing out there.

I have had several fish stolen by eagles when ice fishing, If you pull a fish out of the water, you cant just lay it on the ice, the an eagle will steal it from you. You need to put it in a closed container so they cannot see it.

I'll see if I can find any pictures of some pileated woodpeckers to post, these things stand nearly 24-30 inches tall,
I think the pileated woodpecker is what Walter Lance modeled woody woodpecker after. We hand suet feeders in the winter for them, but not in the summer because the bears usually end up taking them down and into the woods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: