FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roxy's St Louis cut Rib Pictorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 09 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some beer related reason I stopped taking pix that day. This seems to be the last one I have on the camera for that smoke session.

LIAR #100
Huey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 09 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:
Huey wrote:
Huh. Thanks for the replies. I guess I always thought it was pretty easy to pull that cartilage/chine bone...whatever it is, out.

I'm not sacrificing meat if I trim them this way? I will give them a try.

Thanks!

Many people simply trim this way as it cooks incredibly consistent since it's pretty much the same size left to right.

They use what they trim for things from chef snacks to pots of beans to...endless.

I personally don't care for what fat remains where that area breaks apart.

BTW- Roxy...FINISHED PICS???

Perhaps I was thinking more of the skirt than that "cartilaginous" part. I must be remembering meat that wasn't there. The memory has been known to fail.

Do y'all just use time, or do you insert a thermometer probe between two of the ribs?
Z.E.U.S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17 09 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Good pic tutorial indeed there if i say so myself being a ST. LOUISIAN and chewing on a few bones in my time. Also i didn't see a pic of it but you mentioned beer. I guess that was in your other hand out of the shot...LOL...good times
BlackStone Griddle
KCBS - CBJ
Huey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26 09 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Huey wrote:
I was running a search on ribs to get ideas for this weekend or next. I guess my only question is: Why trim them? Is it for presentation purposes? I have cooked ribs before (not smoked, but slow cooked) and I have always left this meat on there. Never been a problem.

Is it to make the thickness of the meat more uniform?

Nope, it is to simple make a slab of spares into a traditional St Louis cut rack of ribs..

If you like all the cartilage and stuff then cook them that way but personally, I prefer them cut this way.

Huey.. If yo have never smoked ribs there is a whole world of BBQ goodness awaiting you. Get cracking dude..!!

Smoked three racks Friday. Couldn't get the membrane off of one of the racks, and it was noticeable. Couldn't trim that one well, either. It just didn't have a distinct skirt. The other two racks were no problem.

I couldn't believe how good these were without sauce. I glazed one of the racks, but let the other two stand alone. (I follow a reduced sugar diet to try to stave off diabetes. My wife has no worries about that. Our sauces diverge as a result, so it's better to just dip as desired.)

Thanks for the help!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07 12 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump..

Sorry but too many beers and I bumped the wrong thread.. Rolling Eyes

Here's one that is in line for a sticky.

Hope this helps.
LIAR #100
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07 12 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Bump..

Sorry but too many beers and I bumped the wrong thread.. Rolling Eyes

Here's one that is in line for a sticky.

Hope this helps.

With all the recent traffic on the "wrong thread",
I'm sure it will be a sticky in no time. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Great info! Thanks, dude. Cool

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08 12 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb rookie question here but what is the advantage of cutting a rack like this? Is it a looks kind of thing or is there something I am not getting??? Thanks.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08 12 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollinontheRvr wrote:
Dumb rookie question here but what is the advantage of cutting a rack like this? Is it a looks kind of thing or is there something I am not getting??? Thanks.

Well, as I recall reading some where. It was first done in St Louis to make the spare ribs more presentable.

For me, I like to do it because it makes a rack of spares into a twofor.. You get a nice rack of ribs and you get the trim to use in beans, soups or to make some pulled rib meat.
LIAR #100
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09 12 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
RollinontheRvr wrote:

Well, as I recall reading some where. It was first done in St Louis to make the spare ribs more presentable.

For me, I like to do it because it makes a rack of spares into a twofor.. You get a nice rack of ribs and you get the trim to use in beans, soups or to make some pulled rib meat.

Cool, thanx for the response. I told my wife I had an itch to cook up some ribs and she said that I should scratch it so I am going to cook up some ribs next weekend. Thanx, I am going to try your tutorial for that cook. I will post pic's.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10 12 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollinontheRvr wrote:

Consistent results and the ribs just look more appealing in my opinion. Also, everyone gets similarly sized ribs instead of all different sizes, bones, cartilage, etc.

Also the trimmings are freakin amazing if you are doing some of Jarhead's smoked beans. For July 4, I did up those beans and after 2 hours I chopped up the well-smoked trimmings and threw them in the beans. Holy chit they were good. People talked more about the beans than my ribs. Shocked

I know... no pics so didn't happen. Wink
MrBone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that pictorial, I've always wondered if I was cutting these things the right way. As it turns out, I cut them in a manner very similar to this.

People might laugh at this, but I had all the trim left over and a weekend day with nothing to do so I decided to experiment with something simple.

I took all the trim, threw it in a pot of water, tossed in a large amount of the rub I use for the ribs, brought it to a boil for about 5 minutes and then turned down the heat and let it simmer for a few hours (I don't remember an exact time, you do this until it's falling apart.)

Removed all the meat, let it cool some so I could handle it, then pulled it all, and separated out the fat and cartilege. Threw this in a baking dish, tossed it with BBQ sauce, then into the broiler just long enough to darken and firm it up.

Makes for decent "cheat" pulled pork sandwiches.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18 12 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry MrBone but "acceptable cheat" has different meanings to different people...

I use rib tips for sandwiches, I package my rib tips up for a time when I have space on the pit, (if there is not enough room to cook them the same time as the ribs, I freeze them until there is room), then they get rubbed and smoked just like the rest of the ribs did.

Because they are smaller they cook in 2 or 2.5 hours. Once they are cooked, take them off the pit and allow them to cool down till you can handle them, lay them flat on a cutting board, and fillet out the bones with a hand placed flat on top of the meat, by cutting down the cartilage with a flexible filleting knife... with practice you can learn to do this boning out in less than a couple of minutes... the more you practice the quicker you get.

Once you get into the groove with boning out your rib tips, you get to package them up trimmed and smoked, and the cheat is, that you can come home grab a package out of the freezer, thaw them out and have some of the best rib tip sandwiches you have ever eaten.

I don't boil any of my ribs... well just once in a while I simmer Country style ribs, in a crock pot, but I make sure to add some liquid smoke, just to give it that authentic McRib flavor! Wink Laughing Wink

See disclaimer below.

BTW, you do what you do, and you cheat where you cheat... but please don't invite me for dinner and serve me boiled rib tips, simmered in BBQ sauce, as pulled pork.

After this post, I suspect I'm not on the invite list anyway!
Wink

I still work here!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18 12 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBone wrote:
Thanks for that pictorial, I've always wondered if I was cutting these things the right way. As it turns out, I cut them in a manner very similar to this.

People might laugh at this, but I had all the trim left over and a weekend day with nothing to do so I decided to experiment with something simple.

I took all the trim, threw it in a pot of water, tossed in a large amount of the rub I use for the ribs, brought it to a boil for about 5 minutes and then turned down the heat and let it simmer for a few hours (I don't remember an exact time, you do this until it's falling apart.)

Removed all the meat, let it cool some so I could handle it, then pulled it all, and separated out the fat and cartilege. Threw this in a baking dish, tossed it with BBQ sauce, then into the broiler just long enough to darken and firm it up.

Makes for decent "cheat" pulled pork sandwiches.

I always smoke the trim when I do St Louis ribs.. I use the smoked trim to add to beans or my black eyed pea stew..

Please dont boil any part of the rib. That is just something that should not be done. All that delicious pork flavour ends up left in the pot which usually ends up going down the sink.. And in my humble opinion that is a sin..

Here is a link to a recipe for rib trim that is really good and a good use of spare trim.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24785
LIAR #100
saltwatercowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31 12 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the trimmings but, here in Atlanta metro it is impossible to find full spare ribs anymore. BJ's, COSTCOs Walmart only sell ribs already trimmed to the St. Louis cut. They charge more for the trimmed spareribs and you don't get the trimmings...
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room...
Blue_Eyes_Smoke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08 13 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roxy; I'm new to the boards and just read this. I like the idea of using the trimmings for a legume recipe (though in my case I am thinking of making split pea soup). Did you smoke the trimmings, dice them and throw them in to your black-eyed peas or did you make them as part of your stock from raw?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08 13 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_Eyes_Smoke wrote:
Hi Roxy; I'm new to the boards and just read this. I like the idea of using the trimmings for a legume recipe (though in my case I am thinking of making split pea soup). Did you smoke the trimmings, dice them and throw them in to your black-eyed peas or did you make them as part of your stock from raw?

I smoked the rib trim first and then simmer them for a bit to make some stock and help get the meat to come off the bones.. Works great and makes a tasty stock as well..

I think split pea soup would be excellent using some smoke trim.
LIAR #100
old

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10 13 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Roxy's St Louis cut Rib Pictorial Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
I have read a couple post of late asking what is a St Louis rack of ribs or how do you cut spares into St Louis..

This is how I do it and as I have another day off after working 7 straight. I got beer, ribs and no one how to bother me so I decided to post a pictorial of how I prepare them.

I got a bunch of spares a while back on sale so I stocked up. They were a pretty good quality rib. I have found IBP to be of decent quality. Trust me on this one, you will need a good sharp knife as this makes the process a lot easier.

The first thing I do is count over 9 or 10 bones, depending on the rack and the size of the bones out towards the end where they start to get small. I cut the end flap off as straight as I can so I have a squared end.

You now want to remove the skirt from the back side of the rack of ribs. You dont have to but personally I don't care to eat this portion of meat. To each their own and since this is my pictorial.. its coming off.

The next thing in preparing your rack of ribs is to look for the longest rib bone and use that as a guide to cutting off the breast portion of the rack. I like to give a little less than half an inch of the cartilage.

I will cut in a nice even line that runs parallel to the cut ends of the ribs so the rack ends up being squared off.

Here's a couple shots of the finished St Louis cut ribs with the trim.

My 2 St Louis style ribs all seasoned and ready to go on the smoker. I have also seasoned the trim which I will be using in a pot of black eyed peas.

I hope this pictorial helps ya out some and you enjoy it as half as much as I did making it...
So I am always looking for a good use for those trimmed bits. Does anybody else have ideas for using the trimmings that is knock your socks off good?
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11 13 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD.....you could chop 'em up & do this ~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60245

I'll add to a bean pot / pan a lot of times....a straight up rib tip sammich is divine, tacos, meat for enchiladas, the list could go on.......
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
old

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11 13 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1buckie wrote:
OLD.....you could chop 'em up & do this ~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60245

I'll add to a bean pot / pan a lot of times....a straight up rib tip sammich is divine, tacos, meat for enchiladas, the list could go on.......

Thanks for that. I may just try it. Also sounds like a great idea in split pea soup. Flame on!!
Boomer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12 14 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy

Real good info and pics wow great job. Your
yellow mustard sauce still puts smiles on peoples faces down here

boomer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: