FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roxy's St Louis cut Rib Pictorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 09 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigHusker wrote:
Roxy, just curious how that IBP meat is in Canada. Iowa Beef Processors is basically the main supplier here in Nebraksa. I know Tyson purchased IBP, and I believe another company American?, just took over. Who is your distributor for IBP in Canada?

I have no idea who distributes IBP here in Canada but I have gotten ribs from a couple locations here in Barrie from small butcher shops to a chain of grocery stores. From what I heard from a meat trader is, "most" of the top Canadian pork is shipped south so if I wanted to get some good quality pork, IBP was a good bet to get some decent consistency. For some reason, a lot of the Canadian produced pork ribs you find in the grocery are "seasoned" and I dont care for the texture of them when BBQ'd.. Kinda mushy.
LIAR #100
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 09 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatrat wrote:
Great tutorial roxy, I cut mine the same way, though different landmarks. Heavy meat laiden ribs withthe right ammount of fat on them always make for a good cook, as long as we don't take too much of that beer snow before their done and perhaps need a nap...lol

Ray

Ray:

I have learned to pace myself.. Wink Now after dinner a good BBQ nap is in order IMO.. Laughing
LIAR #100
orangeblood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy - this post is a great example of the best The Ring has to offer:

1. Sweet spot topic (READ: about bbq and not about breakfast hash, chili, silly recipes with cute names, stuff covered with gravy, etc)

2. Advice and opinions about bbq technique

3. Helpful responses to questions about the post

4. The original post drives replies that stay on topic and are all worth reading instead of posts with pages of "piling on" and "me too" replies ("that looks good,"I'd like to eat that," "man...I am hungry," ect)

THANKS!!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Roxy....
Is pictorial the same way one would cut SLS Ribs for competition cooking? 10 bone cut so they all cook even and look nice?
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 09 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictorial roxy! I vote for this thread being made into a "sticky"!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Nice Roxy....
Is pictorial the same way one would cut SLS Ribs for competition cooking? 10 bone cut so they all cook even and look nice?

I really don't kow for certain Jeff as in my limited run at Competition I have yet to use spares or St Louis. I am sure that some one who has cooked up spares for comp can answer that question. The couple time I was a Judge I have received St Louis cut done this way.
LIAR #100
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Roxy I was wondering how that was done.. Did You get all the beer gathered up Laughing ?
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitey wrote:
thanks Roxy I was wondering how that was done.. Did You get all the beer gathered up Laughing ?

I think so.. I will have to wait for a bit of a melt off to see if I missed any. Laughing
LIAR #100
kbrew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do with the rest of the meat? The stuff you cut away? Cooking the prime part is easy, sorry. It's what to do with the rest that's the hard part...
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrew wrote:
What did you do with the rest of the meat? The stuff you cut away? Cooking the prime part is easy, sorry. It's what to do with the rest that's the hard part...

I smoked them as well and used them for this.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24785

It turned out very good. Had some before work today..
LIAR #100
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy,

Thanks for the tutorial, it will help me in the future!

Chris

Weber Green One-Touch Gold
Pro Q Frontier Smoker
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roxy,

I've often wondered how that was done. Read many people talkin about it, but never knew how to do it. I'll have to give it a try next time Smile .

What are some of the advantages and dis-advantages of these over baby back ribs?
handz98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 09 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lesson. Got me to thinking...looking at the prices I pay for Stl. spares I would come out ahead cost-wise with full spares from Sam's even if I threw the trimmings away. Time to change my ways. Thanks!

Cliff J.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 09 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this post can help some folks..

Hotdog:

I think the biggest thing is price. BB's usually cost about double the price of a slab of spares per lb. As a rule of thumb, side ribs or spares will have more meat on them so thats a plus I think. Also, with a full rack of spares you have the trim that you can use for other things so your getting 2 meals for the price on 1 IMO..

Handz:

I first encountered the trimmings years ago when I worked at the local SA mission. It was my job to go to this BBQ pit twice a week and pick up the trim, we would cook it up for the residents at the mission. I learned that with some TLC these cast offs could become a delicious meal. For the backyard smoker the trim is awesome to use in dishes like beans and stews or to eat, as some do, for a snack while the ribs are cooking. With the hard times we are all in any way to stretch a dollar is good.
LIAR #100
Huey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15 09 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running a search on ribs to get ideas for this weekend or next. I guess my only question is: Why trim them? Is it for presentation purposes? I have cooked ribs before (not smoked, but slow cooked) and I have always left this meat on there. Never been a problem.

Is it to make the thickness of the meat more uniform?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15 09 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey wrote:
I was running a search on ribs to get ideas for this weekend or next. I guess my only question is: Why trim them? Is it for presentation purposes? I have cooked ribs before (not smoked, but slow cooked) and I have always left this meat on there. Never been a problem.

Nope, it is to simple make a slab of spares into a traditional St Louis cut rack of ribs..

If you like all the cartilage and stuff then cook them that way but personally, I prefer them cut this way.

Huey.. If yo have never smoked ribs there is a whole world of BBQ goodness awaiting you. Get cracking dude..!!
LIAR #100
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15 09 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good tutorial roxy...The other option is to move to St. Louis Very Happy
I don't even see spares hardly anywhere...You can find them at sams but everywhere here including sam's, costco have all the rib tips already removed. They just wrap them in the slab so you still get the tips but cuts down on a ton of work...Just cut off the bottom bone and remove membrane and you're done...So, while your tutorial is spot on, for those who are super lazy, they can just move instead Laughing
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15 09 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey wrote:

I never cook full spares. I personally don't like where the knuckles meet regardless of how perfectly they're cooked. My ribs are always done st. louis style...However, everyone is different so you might not like them. However, you might want to give them a wirl.

Also, I hate rib tips and typically throw them away and I HATE wasting food.
Huey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16 09 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Thanks for the replies. I guess I always thought it was pretty easy to pull that cartilage/chine bone...whatever it is, out.

I'm not sacrificing meat if I trim them this way? I will give them a try.

Thanks!
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16 09 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey wrote:
Huh. Thanks for the replies. I guess I always thought it was pretty easy to pull that cartilage/chine bone...whatever it is, out.

I'm not sacrificing meat if I trim them this way? I will give them a try.

Thanks!

Many people simply trim this way as it cooks incredibly consistent since it's pretty much the same size left to right.

They use what they trim for things from chef snacks to pots of beans to...endless.

I personally don't care for what fat remains where that area breaks apart.

BTW- Roxy...FINISHED PICS???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: