FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 posts a page?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 12:13 pm    Post subject: 10 posts a page? Reply with quote

Why only 10 posts a page? I'm still on dial-up. Going to the next page when there's 4 or 5, sometimes 10 pages is really slowing me down. I liked it better the old way. Why not 20 or 25 posts/page? Does it have something to do with the ads? For me, the posts all come up at the same time, just the ads are a little slow. For most folks that have hi speed, it only takes a few seconds for everything to load onto the page.

I don't mind a longer page. I'd rather have a longer page than 5-10 short pages. Sad

Just the opinion from somebody in the sticks that doesn't have access to fast internet.

Trey

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads? Shocked Sounds like you need Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ and Adblock Plus https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

I haven't seen ads in years!
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
graybeard
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trey, you're not alone on this. I too prefer more posts per page. This shorter page dropstopics off before I can even get back to them. I have also noticed this seems to be effecting the number of pages on each topic, hence pore entries with 2, 3, 4 and more pages.

Much better the way it was IMHO.
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... longer pages = less clicking. When you have folks used to a certain way of doing things, it's nice if you give a little warning or if you're maybe even asked "hey do you guys want shorter pages".

I don't see ads at all and I hope this isn't about that... I know there is need to make money to keep the site up and I understand that, but not at the expense of the user's experience.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered the same thing?

This post: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10142

Went from 10-12 pages to almost 30 practically overnight! Shocked

It's a great read, but anyone with (or without) high speed has a lot of pages to wade through.................

I know Garry mentioned updating the forum format a while back, maybe this is one of those changes?

I've also noticed that some threads do not allow me to use the scroll feature (on the side to fast-foward). When I try it just jumps to a blank page. So to see the bottom of the post, you need to go the slow route at the page itself.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "ads" the original poster is referring to are the images down the RH side. Not popups. With dial up, I'd expect loading these for each page would really bog it down.
redray
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the change Mad I am sure it is all about $$$$ which I can understand to a point.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the same thing yesterday. I really prefer 40 or more post a page.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like it either. A number of sites do it to increase the ad "exposure" especially if they get paid for more ads. Since most of us don't pay for the right to be here, maybe Gary made the change to get him more ads on more pages.

But I'd prefer the option to show how many replies I want on a page; as a lot of forums do.

I've notice with the change I don't view as much.
Sirsmokealot
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
I've notice with the change I don't view as much.

Bingo. I've noticed the same thing.

2' Southern Yankee Rotisserie
6' Southern Yankee Rotisserie
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this thread was meant to be a poll or a petition but, I will go ahead and add my signature to not liking the new set up.

Rob-the 1st post on page 2
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the number of posts per page so that the page isn't so large to load once it grows to a large number of posts. This benefits those on a slower connection, especially when a post includes a number of large images and those images are included multiple times in the quotes. Also, you don't have to scroll so far to read the latest additions to a thread. My theory was that if you are following a thread you are going to go to the most recent page, not start at the beginning and read the entire thread. If the entire thread is on one page you have to load the whole page and scroll to the bottom to read one new post.

I just changed the number of post per page to 15. Let's see how that works.

Garry
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone still actually use dial up?

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I never noticed a change one way or another.

I know it will take dial-up users longer to load a page, but here's a tip to help at least a part of the process along. You can use this on any web site, but I'll stick to the Smoke Ring setup. I do this all the time. I'm on highspeed, but got in the habit when I used dial-up.

When you load the main forum page you see the list of sub-forums. Instead of clicking a forum to go there, use the right hand button on your mouse instead of the left button. By right clicking you'll get a small pop up menu. On that menu click "Open in New Window". The page will open, but it brings up a new window leaving the main forum page open. When the new window loads, right click on a topic. When finished reading simply close that window. Since you're not actually going "back" the previous page is there waiting for you w/o having to be reloaded. When you're finished with that forum just close the window and you'll be back on the main forum page (because it never closed and doesn't have to be reloaded).

That's one trick to help speed up your dial-up experience. Use the right click mouse feature to your advantage.
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Google Analytics 4% of the visitors and 8% of the page views are from visitors on dialup. That's around 3,500 - 4,000 visitors per month.

While most site visitors are in the US, in the past month we had visitors from 134 countries.

Garry
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 09 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for more post per page.

I noticed the change right away and don't care for it. There are way to many stickys at the top and new post are moved to page 2 before I get to view them.

JMO

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 09 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to be several outdated, and plain old useless stickies in the catering section it takes up the bulk of the page.
So maybe the old useless stickies should be deleted or left to roam in the wilds of the forum to clear up a ittle space for pertinent topics.
redray
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 09 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 posts per page is better, make it 20 and I will stop whining Very Happy
Nickos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 09 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows about giving up the option to choose how many posts we want per page.

its an option in vBulletin and i thought it was on phpbb as well.
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 09 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on board with 20+ posts per page also. I'd rather see 40. Better yet give us a forum where we can set a preference of how may posts per page and then we'd all be quite. Smile Getting to the end of the page is as quick as pressing "end" on your keyboard... I have it on a mouse button, so I do it that way. As for helping folks on dial up, I think that having more posts per page is actually better... The OP is apparently on dial up himself so I think that speaks volumes about what dial up users want. If anything the number of posts per page should have increased not decreased.

Gary, I notice you didn't mention anything regarding the ads. Did ads play any role in the decision or was is strictly concern for dial up users and folks keeping up with the latest posts? No worries on my end since I don't see any of the ads; I just want to be clear where the decision came from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: