FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Shed BBQ - Ocean Springs, MS - Not Bad!/Not Great!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 07 2009    Post subject: The Shed BBQ - Ocean Springs, MS - Not Bad!/Not Great!! Reply with quote

Overall, pretty good(not great) and somewhat overpriced.
I got a chance to eat at the shed recently, which is a bit of a tourist trap. I ordered the pulled pork and ribs combo with beans and baked potato salad. The meat really didn't have enough smoke, but I've had worse. The ribs were very tender and just fell apart, but they just didn't have quite enough smoke.
However, their sauce was espcially good and if you had enough, the meat and sauce together was good. Their beans were especially good too, as was the baked potato salad. I thought the price was a little high also. So the cons were their meat and price, which are big cons. However, there were a lot of pros with excellent sauce and sides.
Usually a BBQ place either falls short in either the meat or the sauce. Few don't This place was no exception. They clearly are dependent on the tourist business.
My conclusion is this place is pretty good(not great) and I would go back, but I would order the ribs and ask for a lot of extra sauce.

Last edited by dabaxter on Feb 15 2009; edited 3 times in total
Smoke on the Horizon
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Feb 07 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Shed featured on Diners, Drive-in and Dives a while back and it looked like a real BBQ Joint. He said that the sauce was handed down from a guy that came up with the original receipe.

They said they sell a lot of BBQ and the sauce was the big item.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Feb 07 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken they wrap pretty early. Just going off my memory I think the amount of smoke was one of the factors on when they wrap. So, apparently they dig a lighter smoke.

And yes, just as Foghorn always says. I could be, I say I could be wrong. Smile
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 08 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoke is way too light for my tastes.
slammed73sb

PostPosted: Feb 11 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just ate there on Jan 23rd and thought that over all it was okay. it was my first time there. i missed that DDD episode but it came on again last night. I liked the atmosphere and over all general design of the place but there was definatly something lacking in the smoke department
Surfnturf

PostPosted: Feb 12 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate there last week for the first time and just had the ribs (at $24 with a sweet tea it was all I could afford!!). I wasn't really impressed. They were fall apart tender but I prefer dry ribs with sauce on the side and these are heavily sauced. Also, the chili powder in the rub was almost overpowering and definitely stronger than the smoke. On a scale of 1-10....I'd give it a 7. Most of that is just because of the quality of the meat and it being so tender. Not a good competition rib but a good restaurant rib.

They sell a lot of BBQ because:
1. it is a place to hang out with live music almost every night
2. it is a tourist trap and has a nice bbq joint atmosphere
3. It is way out of the way and most people go there to check it out and after driving so far don't go away empty handed.
BobbyT

PostPosted: Feb 17 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shed has a franchise place on Hwy 53 just north of Gulfport and a friend of mine said that his food was way to strong on the smoke flavor. I have heard that the original shed is alot better but that goes with the stories of any franchise I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: