FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XM radio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
az mike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 7:19 pm    Post subject: XM radio Reply with quote

How many of you have noticed the decline of the quality of programing since the merger? I bought into satellite radio the first year as we live remote from local town radio. Now they are talking bankrupsy and merger with Dish?? They pay big money for Stern, Oprah and Stewart-- all I want is some tunes!
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Sirius subscriber I'm still grumpy that AC/DC radio was a limited run only to be replaced by The Boneyard. Not a good trade! Even as a replacement for Buzzsaw it's not quite as good. The merger hasn't brought as much good as what it could have by a long shot. Smile

I'm starting to use my iphone plugged in and streaming Pandora internet radio WAY WAY more now. If I wasn't a lifetime subscriber to Sirius I would be thinking of dropping the service, but since it costs me nothing now.......I'll keep it. Smile
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Sirius subscriber it took some getting use to. However, I was familiar with the product and personally having listened to XM in the past thought it sucked.

As for AC/DC radio I do like the band but can only take so much at a time. They are one of those bands who’s songs all kinda sound the same. Including the new album.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check into Slacker radio at Slacker.com. It is an internet radio site that also has a portable device that has an adapter for your car. Slacker has something like a 100 preset stations,plus you can build your own. I have had mine for 4 months now and love it.
az mike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zski, Do you have to pay for time like my verizon internet? Or is it unlimited?
Jeff_From_VA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sirius for several years. I just canceled both of our radios. Sirius took off the few channels that we liked, and replaced them with absolute trash after the merger.

The merger took the worst of each service and mixed them together.
trapper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will have to worry about it much longer. They are about to go nips up.
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

az mike, they have a premium service that I think runs $5 dollars a month(if that) and all that allows you is really just unlimited skips. I have the free service that allows me 5 skips per station per hour. You can also favorite songs you like and they will play them more often and you can also ban songs you don't like. Slacker has just about every genre of music you can think of.
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 09 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, to answer your question more directly, it is unlimited.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14 09 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had free XM when I got my truck,
I was told the "The Boneyard" was all heavy metal, and I am hearing Van-Haggar on it. WTF, this isn't metal

I ended up only listening the XM150 adult comedy, CNN and fox news. and the nascar channel when I couldn't watch the race on TV, and that got canceled in a few months anyways.
The traffic and weather channels would be nice if I lived in an area that had traffic problems.
I found out it just was not worth it to me, I heard of new programming options after the merger with different package tiers, and I am still not impressed. I am happier with a 16 GB Ipod in the truck.

Occasionally I turn on 247 emergency alert (free channel)to see what is happening in the country and find other freebies oncein a while and all it does is remind me that it still sucks.
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14 09 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen mostly to Fox News or Bluesville.
Blues by far, my music of choice.

Ray

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
Sarrel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 09 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: XM radio Reply with quote

az mike wrote:
How many of you have noticed the decline of the quality of programing since the merger? I bought into satellite radio the first year as we live remote from local town radio. Now they are talking bankrupsy and merger with Dish?? They pay big money for Stern, Oprah and Stewart-- all I want is some tunes!

Mike, You said all the things I have been telling everyone about the merger
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 09 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1100 shares of siri, it better not go nips up! I'm in good shape if it's worth more than $0.13 a share.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03 09 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH, I'm afraid your most likely option is that at some point, Sirius/XM will declare a reorganizational bankruptcy at which point your shares will likely be worthless and the owner of the debt will own the company.

I am of the opinion that satellite radio in some form will always be around, especially now that the huge start up costs have already been sunk. Operationally, they make money now, they are just still having a difficult time dealing with those monster start up costs.

BTW, with the exception of the loss of Buzzsaw, I think the music choices have never been better. Harry, Bonesaw was always intended to be classic hard rock. Heavy metal is found on several other channels. How many local metal/hard rock chnnels are available in the Northwoods?
lakeport smoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08 09 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure when listening to xm check out Ron and Fez. Very funny. They are on xm202 or sirius197. Give them a chance. Warning can be some adult content. After all it is a xl channel.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08 09 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeport smoker wrote:
Make sure when listening to xm check out Ron and Fez. Very funny. They are on xm202 or sirius197. Give them a chance. Warning can be some adult content. After all it is a xl channel.

back when I had an XM subscription, there was no metal to be found anywhere! That is why the good ole 16GB Ipod Touch is loaded with metal and classic punk.

Ron & Fez? I am guessing this is what is leftover from the old ron & ron morning show from Tampa in the 80's and into the 90's
lakeport smoker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 09 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, yes it is the same Ron Bennington. That guy makes me laugh out loud on a daily basis. I never herd him in Tampa. I got xm for the music but keep it for that show alone. I was a big Howard fan and was excited when he had his big anouncement that he was moving to satilite. Unfourtunitly for me he went to the wrong one. It did work out though cause I found Ron and Fez. With Howard theres only so much lesbian crap I can listen to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: