FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slick Pig, Murphysboro TN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XMit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14 06 2:24 am    Post subject: Slick Pig, Murphysboro TN Reply with quote

I'm gonna try to review the place without bashing it.

Stopped on my way through from FL to WI and was lookin for some good Q.

Was directed by a local who said he was from TX Rolling Eyes to check out Slick Pig

Walked in and the place had accolades all over the walls (best place to eat in town, best atmosphere, best ribs), all if not most given by the local campus newspaper. The joint had a down-home type atmosphere. One thing that impressed me was the sweet tea was in a cooler and you could help yourself to free refills.

Of course I ordered ribs, side of slaw, tater salad and sweet tea.

First the good: The slaw kicked butt! it was just the right balance of sweet, creamy and horseradish. The potato salad was average, a mustard style.

The cornbread was good too, served pancake style, I really enjoyed it and was easy too eat with your hands.

Now the not so good: The ribs were the worst I have ever had. They may have been pit smoked........ at some time in that particular day. They were greasy, mushy, had no bark and the sauce was horrid.

I got the impression that they tossed the racks in an oven and let them set all day, with the grease draining down through the ribs. I really thought I was looking at an oil slick.

The only other good point was my wife ordered the smoked chicken wings and liked them. I tried a few and they were good. They would have been excellent with a good sauce (buffalo, BBQ or honey mustard), but all we had was the horrid sauce on the table.

If you want Q, skip it. If you have a craving for smoked buffalo wings, bring your own sauce.

XMit
bororyan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16 06 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to live in M'boro (99-02) so i can comment on your review...i agree absolutely with your take on their ribs...terrible.

that place is all about those wings imo. i love those things...i don't know how he gets the skin to stay so nice. i have tried to get the recipe out of the owner, but he ain't sharing it. imo, sauce would ruin those wings...they are smoky and delicous as they are. his pulled pork is decent, and the brunswick stew is really good, but the reason that place does so much business is because of the wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: