FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid newbie questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Workaholic

PostPosted: Feb 01 2009    Post subject: Stupid newbie questions.... Reply with quote

Here they are, in all their glory:

1. Why do almost all the recipes that call for vinegar use apple cider vinegar?

2. Does using bourbon in a sauce mean that there actually IS a use for the stuff? (no offense to the bourbon drinkers out there... but once i tried 12 YO scotch, i never looked back)

3. Can I use a different vinegar instead of the apple cider vinegar, like perhaps balsamic, rice, or malt?

4. Am i a stupid newbie, or just uninformed? (yes, i left this one wide open on purpose)

I'm sure that i have more questions, but i need to go refill my glass, it's almost out of whiskey Sad
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Feb 01 2009    Post subject: Re: Stupid newbie questions.... Reply with quote

Workaholic wrote:
Here they are, in all their glory:

Only some call for apple cider vinegar, there are at least as many that use other vinegars, than use acv.

Look in more recipe books, try the different vinegars, see how it changes the flavor profile of the sauce.

Workaholic wrote:
2. Does using bourbon in a sauce mean that there actually IS a use for the stuff? (no offense to the bourbon drinkers out there... but once i tried 12 YO scotch, i never looked back)

Yup it means there is another use for it, but if you want and can afford to use 12 year old scotch in your sauce then go for it and see the different flavor profile of the sauce.

Workaholic wrote:
3. Can I use a different vinegar instead of the apple cider vinegar, like perhaps balsamic, rice, or malt?

Yes you can, try them all one at a time in small batches, and see the different flavor profile of the sauce.

Workaholic wrote:
4. Am i a stupid newbie, or just uninformed? (yes, i left this one wide open on purpose)

I'm sure that i have more questions, but i need to go refill my glass, it's almost out of whiskey Sad

Bring the questions, experiment with your sauces, enjoy the ones that work well, don't worry about the one that don't work well, keep good records and try not to remake your mistakes only your sucesses!

I still work here!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 01 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will chime in with SoEzzy.

Apple Cider Vinegar mellows during the cooking process and can be adjusted (flavor) with water to offset the taste.

I have smoked with Scotch and was not happy with the results. The sugars in the bourbon seem to be more apparent, while scotch seems to take on a somewhat bitter flavor. (just my opinion)

Balsamic will get sweet as it thickens during the cook. However......... DO NOT breath cooking balsamic vapors, they will take your breath away. Rice vinegar should be okay but malt may react adversely with the smoke.

Obviously your not stupid because #1 you are asking questions, and #2 you are getting your answers from the best BBQ site on the web!
Workaholic

I appreciate the input, SoEzzy. I was actually refering to drinking the bourbon... I don't have any on hand because I stopped drinking it once I tried scotch. (side note... my wife bought me some scotch a while ago that came with a free sample of 18yo scotch... all i can say is holy crap that was good)

I'm assuming that the other ingredients tend to mellow out the typical.... harshness (best word i have for the flavor) of bourbon. i would think the smoother flavor of aged scotch would just blend in better.

I'm definately not saying I can afford to use it for cooking... i use it for drinking, like now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

after reading Alien's post, i think i may not be using it tomorrow, after all.. i was going to use a splash to help thin up the sauce the wife bought for me to use (which i was going to use as a base, and adjust as needed) but, i might try it anyway.... since balsamic vinegar gets sweet when cooked, it might work with the scotch. might be worth the experiment Very Happy

thanks for your input guys.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

Word to the wise......... don't experiment when company is coming over. A bad rep is hard to get rid of, while a good BBQ session will have your friends bowing on their knees at your greatness! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: