FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hans BBQ sauce
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okie54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21 09 4:56 am    Post subject: Hans BBQ sauce Reply with quote

About 15 years ago a place in Oklahoma City went out of business that was called Hans BBQ (Hans Abraham). He bottled his own BBQ sauce and it was the best I have ever had.

It was a thin sauce that literally turned your plate red and would stay that way until you washed it. I assume this was a vinegar based sauce although the flavor was sweet with a definite heat delay. I assume vinegar, sugar and cayenne pepper would be primary but I haven't duplicated it yet (or even really come close). The bottle use to always say "an old Norwegian Recipe".

Anyone have any ideas about how to duplicate this sauce?
mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 09 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a clue,

But I did find this

Norwegian Mustard Sauce
Origin: Norway Period: Traidtional
This is a classic, tradtional, Norwegian mustard based sauce that's served with any and every kind of cured or pickled meat, including Gravlax, Grav-cured Meat and pickled herring.

Ingredients:
8 tbsp mild mustard (Dijon is good)
2 tbsp white wine (or cider) vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp freshly-chopped dill

Method:
Bring all the ingredients to room temperature then add all the ingredients (except the oil) to a bowl. Whisk to combine then, whisking continually, add the oil a little at the time until it's all incorporated (do this in exactly the same way as you would for mayonnaise). Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and use immediately. Do not make too much of this sauce as it will tend to split as it's left standing.

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 09 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, being an Okie myself, I remember Hans, but don't remember the sauce (100's of sauces have crossed these lips since Hans).

Check the phone book for him and ask?

Somebody in OKC has to know.

If you remember the taste, maybe you can come up with it.
okie54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 09 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutha chicken bbq wrote:
Not a clue,

But I did find this

Norwegian Mustard Sauce
This is a classic, tradtional, Norwegian mustard based sauce that's served with any and every kind of cured or pickled meat, including Gravlax, Grav-cured Meat and pickled herring.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp sugar

Method:
Bring all the ingredients to room temperature then add all the ingredients (except the oil) to a bowl. Whisk to combine then, whisking continually, add the oil a little at the time until it's all incorporated (do this in exactly the same way as you would for mayonnaise). Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and use immediately. Do not make too much of this sauce as it will tend to split as it's left standing.

Thanks for the recipe "mutha". I doubt it is the one I am after but this looks like something I could use on some smoked fish.

Thanks again.
okie54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 09 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
No, being an Okie myself, I remember Hans, but don't remember the sauce (100's of sauces have crossed these lips since Hans).

Check the phone book for him and ask?

Somebody in OKC has to know.

If you remember the taste, maybe you can come up with it.

Hans died in the late 80's. His wife coninued to work there (she is now deceased) but wanted $700,000 for the recipe. That didn't work out so I am afraid the recipe died with her.
mhoodnc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 09 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds similar to Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce(Cincinnati,Oh.). I think that stuff is nasty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
okie54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 09 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhoodnc wrote:
It sounds similar to Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce(Cincinnati,Oh.). I think that stuff is nasty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't know what the Montgomeray Inn's bbq sauce is like but I have have never been with anyone that didn't like Han's sauce, including tomato base sauce lovers. But you are right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23 09 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutha chicken bbq wrote:
Not a clue,

But I did find this

Norwegian Mustard Sauce

Ingredients:
2 tbsp sugar

Method:

Dont know why they call it Norwegian cause I have had this sauce in Sweden as well... I would think Scandinavian mustard sauce would be a better name..

Keep in mind that their mustard is nothing like ours... and is nothing like dijon. Closest thing for me is more like an english yellow mustard..

I have two bottles of Slott's in the fridge.
LIAR #100
okie54

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23 09 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
mutha chicken bbq wrote:
Not a clue,

But I did find this

Norwegian Mustard Sauce

Ingredients:
2 tbsp sugar

Method:

Dont know why they call it Norwegian cause I have had this sauce in Sweden as well... I would think Scandinavian mustard sauce would be a better name..

Keep in mind that their mustard is nothing like ours... and is nothing like dijon. Closest thing for me is more like an english yellow mustard..

I have two bottles of Slott's in the fridge.

I am going to try this because I like different sauces but I am sure there must have been Cayenne in Han's.
bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 11 09 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Han's in high school but have no idea what was in the sauce. When I was there it was run by the son-in-law.
okie54

PostPosted: Mon May 11 09 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedogok wrote:
I worked at Han's in high school but have no idea what was in the sauce. When I was there it was run by the son-in-law.

Were O'Bob (robert) and Larry working there then?
bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 12 09 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okie54 wrote:
bluedogok wrote:

That was about 30 years ago, I only remember the names of a couple of people there, those aren't the names.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12 09 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, you're on the right trail.

Figure out the names, check the phone book/internet and we'll find out the real sauce Wink
okie54

PostPosted: Tue May 12 09 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
guys, you're on the right trail.

Figure out the names, check the phone book/internet and we'll find out the real sauce Wink

Hans Abraham was the founder and owner. Hans was at 10th and Tulsa for it last 20 plus years but originally it was over by the capitol.

At one time (mid 80's or later) Robert (O bob) and Larry worked there.

I don't know Hans son in law so if we can get that name maybe we can figure out the sauce.
okie54

PostPosted: Tue May 12 09 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedogok wrote:
okie54 wrote:
bluedogok wrote:

That was about 30 years ago, I only remember the names of a couple of people there, those aren't the names.

What was Han's son in laws name?
bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Delbert Holley, I heard later that he had a messy divorce and "lost" the restaurant. If it was like Leo's sauce, Feedie didn't know the recipe and got the sauce from him for her restaurant before and after their divorce. Based on my vague memories, I know he wasn't around when a friend who was a busboy and I went there on its last weekend, I think in the late 80's.
okie54

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedogok wrote:
I think it was Delbert Holley, I heard later that he had a messy divorce and "lost" the restaurant. Based on my vague memories, I know he wasn't around when a friend who was a busboy and I went there on its last weekend.

Thanks.

If Delbert lost the restaurant and is divorced from Hans daughter do you happen to know her name?
bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01 09 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea.
5string

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21 09 11:21 am    Post subject: Han's Reply with quote

This is for okie54. About the only thing you got right was the year they closed. It was 1992; 17 years ago. The original owners name is incorrect, but at this late date, it really doesn't matter, as I'm sure he, and his wife, have both passed away by now. The price offered for the BBQ sauce to the new owners of the establishment was about 1/10 that of what you mentioned. The divorcees have both re-married, and I understand only one of them knows the recipe. To mention that name would not be beneficial, as the recipe is not for publication at this time. To my knowlege, there are only 2 that know this recipe. Now for what you got right. The taste. I first ate at Han's in about 1957. At that time, they were located on N.E. 23rd in Oklahoma City. The baked potatoes they served with the ribs were about the size of a man's shoe. When they moved to N.W. 10th street, the potatoes got smaller, but the taste remained the same. FANTASTIC. I ate there many, many times; sometimes 2-3 times a week. That's how good it really was. I hope this helps you. I just want you to realize that, for the time being, the recipe is not available to be handed out. Perhaps someday, but who knows. Take care.
okie54

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21 09 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Han's Reply with quote

5string wrote:
This is for okie54. About the only thing you got right was the year they closed. It was 1992; 17 years ago. The original owners name is incorrect, but at this late date, it really doesn't matter, as I'm sure he, and his wife, have both passed away by now. The price offered for the BBQ sauce to the new owners of the establishment was about 1/10 that of what you mentioned. The divorcees have both re-married, and I understand only one of them knows the recipe. To mention that name would not be beneficial, as the recipe is not for publication at this time. To my knowlege, there are only 2 that know this recipe. Now for what you got right. The taste. I first ate at Han's in about 1957. At that time, they were located on N.E. 23rd in Oklahoma City. The baked potatoes they served with the ribs were about the size of a man's shoe. When they moved to N.W. 10th street, the potatoes got smaller, but the taste remained the same. FANTASTIC. I ate there many, many times; sometimes 2-3 times a week. That's how good it really was. I hope this helps you. I just want you to realize that, for the time being, the recipe is not available to be handed out. Perhaps someday, but who knows. Take care.

The wife was the one that told me $700,000 but she could have been joking (It was while she was serving us some food). Hans Abraham was the only name that I ever saw. I did know 2 people that worked there named Robert and Larry . robert died in the 80's and I don't know what happened to Larry.

I don't remember ever eating at Han's when it was by the capitol although I know it was there. I ate often at the 10th and Tulsa location. My father used to buy the sauce by the case and bring it home. I wouldn't mind making them an offer for the recipe so if you can put me in touch with one of them I would appreciate it. I don't expect to get it for free. I would hate for it to die out.

I didn't know the place reopened after Han's closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: