FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catering across state lines...Florida & Georgia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
browe
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 4:17 am    Post subject: Catering across state lines...Florida & Georgia Reply with quote

I am interested in knowing what others do (if anything) in regards to being licensed in one state and catering events in a neighboring state. I am licensed in Florida but am getting asked to cater events over the border in Georgia. The events would be 20-30 minutes away so it is well within my travel range. In this particular case, I've googled similar terms that gave me the info I needed in Florida but cannot find anything about licensing in Georgia. Is a license even required there?

Also, do I need to create a new company in Georgia for this? Are there tax implications?
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question, that's a new one on me!

I would imagine your HD rep could advise on the lis. end of things.

Your liabilty insurance etc. should be good there as well- once again, I'd make a call there to.

I own property in Georgia, so I'm looking forward to the answers!
CarolinaQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browe, here is how I handled that situation.

I live on the border of NC and SC and cater in both states and multiple counties of both states. My company is incorporated in NC. I had to register my corp. with the state of SC, get a retail permit to file sales and use tax in SC. The HD regulations are pretty much the same in both states. I was able to take care of all the requirements by phone and on line. Wasn’t a big deal in my case and probably won’t be in yours, also.

Contact the Department of Revenue, the Secretary of State and the HD in GA and they should be able to tell you what requirements you need to meet to do business in their state.

Hopefully, yours will go as smoothe as mine did. Good luck!
Weber Kettle
KCBS CBJ
browe
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaQ wrote:
Browe, here is how I handled that situation.

I live on the border of NC and SC and cater in both states and multiple counties of both states. My company is incorporated in NC. I had to register my corp. with the state of SC, get a retail permit to file sales and use tax in SC. The HD regulations are pretty much the same in both states. I was able to take care of all the requirements by phone and on line. Wasn’t a big deal in my case and probably won’t be in yours, also.

Contact the Department of Revenue, the Secretary of State and the HD in GA and they should be able to tell you what requirements you need to meet to do business in their state.

Hopefully, yours will go as smoothe as mine did. Good luck!

I figured I would need to register for sales tax but the other stuff is the "head scratcher" as there is nothing on any site that talks about catering in Georgia. I figure I will start with the HD as the rest should be easier.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 09 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't cater in other states but do cater in other counties and other cities all in my home state. I am here to tell you that they ALL want their "share of the pie".

As of 2009, I have business license in 12 other cities and only ONE of them was free. Min fee was $25 for a year to a max of $125 for a year. This does not matter if you do one event there or 365...same price.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 09 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as liability insurance, the standard ISO GL policy gives you coverage anywhere in the US. Here's the definition from the standard policy language:

4."Coverage territory" means:
a.The United States of America (including its territories and possessions), Puerto Rico and Canada;
b.International waters or airspace, but only if the injury or damage occurs in the course of travel or transportation between any places included in a. above; or
c.All other parts of the world if the injury or damage arises out of:
(1)Goods or products made or sold by you in the territory described in a. above;
(2)The activities of a person whose home is in the territory described in a. above, but is away for a short time on your business; or
(3)"Personal and advertising injury" offenses that take place through the Internet or similar electronic means of communication provided the insured's responsibility to pay damages is determined in a "suit" on the merits, in the territory described in a. above or in a settlement we agree to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: