FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vending menu idea...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 09 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Events can usually get a bit more than some other place you would have to go to...it and you are already there...Convenient.

That being said, you have to keep prices within reason so people WILL buy.
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09 09 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until this year I did mostly vending at fairs and festivals. I have tried a number of items. What I find works best for me is a menu of pulled pork samies, beef samies, and chicken sammies. I use a clod of beef and cook until you can shred or slice. Chicken can be boneless skinless breast or pulled. You can turn these sammies into plates by adding backed beans. I have been getting $5.00 for sammies and $6.50 for plates. I have done rib dinners for $8.50 but that has been hit and miss. Not big rib eaters in my area.

I agree I would do catering and forget the fairs and festivals if I had a choice.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 09 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:
I agree with all of you, if going to offer a Chicago –dog, NY-dog, or any other “named” style dog…it BETTER be the “right” kind of dog. People from those areas that might buy one would hang your butt on a nail if not.. Laughing Laughing

I also agree that $4-$5 was a bit high for the cost on one (had to start somewhere).

When vending, being a totally differnent animal than catering, you kind of have to put the thoughts of how much you make working 10-12 hrs vending VS what you would make catering a 4-5 hr gig out of your mind or it will drive a person crazy for sure....There just isn't any comparison unless you are doing some HUGE vending gig.

I know here in my little area of the world, we have a 3 week street fair in July that IF the weather is decent (not pouring down rain or too dang hot) (either or has happened quite frequently), a food vendor can expect to gross over $50K serving most anything eatable Shocked Laughing

Then from that $50K you have to take out your expenses including food costs, labor, booth space, permits....

Yeah if you dwell on the catering money when vending you'd go nuts,,,It is what it is.. I have had $10,000 vending weeks to only clear $200 or $300. after fee's and expences.Our first job in 2008 was at Hillbilly Days in Pikeville Ky and for the weeks work we went in the hole by several hundred dollars (first year there at any festival you get the worst spots)..

Ok I'm getting off topic,,,I think hotdog vending isn't the worst idea in the world.As long as you have a few good spots and be a Hotdog Vendor,not Marv's BBQ selling hot dogs.I have thought of getting a hot dog cart myself worksman make a few really nice ones.

I'm getting into woodfired pizza myself in the fall like Bbqmans friend,but theres 4 of us and we have a few partime employees who like to keep busy too.....Jim
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 09 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We vended once last year and if we do that one again in May we will be adding beer brats to our menu. I've done them before for catering jobs. Poke holes, smoke them and put into aluminum pan with beer and onion. Then setup a condiment station. We would probably get $2.50-$3.00 here. We would probably have to have regular hot dogs for the kids also.
New Braunfels El Dorado
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 09 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingconsulting wrote:
We vended once last year and if we do that one again in May we will be adding beer brats to our menu. I've done them before for catering jobs. Poke holes, smoke them and put into aluminum pan with beer and onion. Then setup a condiment station. We would probably get $2.50-$3.00 here. We would probably have to have regular hot dogs for the kids also.

When doing the beer brats, do you smoke them first and THEN put them in the beer/onion??

I have found that by doing the beer/onion first and THEN smoking, the beer/onion mixture does not get so yucky and discolored and it dosen't wash off the smoke flavoring quite so much.
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 09 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put them in the beer after they have been smoked. Holds them better and comes out tasting better IMO. Most of the times we have done it have been a longer serving time. I would still do it that way regardless. If we have to serve at once we put them in a clean pan.
New Braunfels El Dorado
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11 09 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brats & beer;

I find that boiled brats are balnd and boring becuase the beer most commonly used is cheap bland crap.

I would grill the brats and the a minimal dip or soak in the beer/onion concoction.

Hot dogs;
As someone else mentioned, You cannot make a NY hot dog with a weiner from Chicago and vice versa. You would need several different brands of weiners to do it correctly. of course you could use one brand only, satisfy the people that have never been to Chicago or NY and hear alot of complaints from the people that know the different components of location based dogs.

I was in Sarasota a decade or two ago, and was thrilled that I saw a dog cart that advertised Chicago dogs. I bought one, took a bite and tossed it in the garbage! They were using some cheap off brand of dog instead of Vienna's. The snap of the casing is key for a chicago dog, then mustard, bright neon green vienna relish, Onion, Tomato slices, Pickle Spear and topped with celery salt. Without the celery salt it is not a Chi-Dog IMO

And then it has to be served on "S. Rosens" poppyseed buns that are lightly steamed.
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11 09 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with not using cheap beer so that's why I use PBR Very Happy

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Brats & beer;
I find that boiled brats are balnd and boring becuase the beer most commonly used is cheap bland crap.

New Braunfels El Dorado
smokinit
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12 09 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to add them roadside vending to many people asked for them and at fairs and festivals I also added them I saw I was loosing easy money and if people saw I had dogs one person may get the dog and if other people were with them I would get a bbq sale from them. I just kept the condiments to the usual plus kraut,nacho cheese and chilli.

www.northeastprofessionalbbq.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Northeastprofessionalbbq
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: