FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Margarita Chicken
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 11:13 am    Post subject: Margarita Chicken Reply with quote

Margarita Chicken

Living in New Mexico every day is reason for a party. Margarita chicken is a family favorite and is quick and easy to do.

The dry ingredients:
2 parts Lime Pepper mix
1 part Chipotle
1 part Roasted garlic with Bell Peppers mix

The wet injection mix:
2 parts Olive oil
2 parts Sweetened Lime Juice
1 part Tequila

Mix the wet ingredients together and inject into all parts of the chicken.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and dredge the chicken on both sides with the dry mix. Place the chicken in a preheated smoker @ 225 degrees. Cook till an internal temperature of 180 degrees is reached.

(Photo shows chicken LT., and Mexican pork RT.)

Let chicken rest for 20-30 minutes after pulling form the smoker.
Chicken will have a semi-crisp skin and should not be burnt.

Inside of the chicken will be slightly pink (from the smoke) and be very moist and flavorful.

bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a hit! I've gotta try this sometime, margaritas are popular 'round here! Wink
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds (and looks) good! I'm thinking I might just give that one a try!

Since, I won't have time to fire up the smoker this week, how do ya think it would fair on the grill? How about with a whole chicken in beer can mode?

Thanks for the idear...

James.

Last edited by JamesB on Mon Feb 06 06 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe and photos. That looks SOOOO good, I've got to give it a try!

Weldon
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 06 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should beer can up good. If you throw it on the grill, you might want to use a little mustard to make things stick.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 06 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give it a try soonish... I've got everything here for the recipe 'cept the Roasted garlic with Bell Peppers mix... Will be on the look out for it next time I'm at the grocery peddlers place...

James.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06 06 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alien! finally got to give this thing a try with beer butt chicken... Could not find the Roasted garlic with Bell Peppers mix, but did find McCormick's garlic pepper with Bell Peppers...

Injected and rubbed up 4 birds, Let them settle in the fridge for a couple of hours to allow the injection to migrate through the meat and put them on the WSM (no water pan). Did it a bit differently than you suggested tho, as I ran the temps up to about 300į - 325į... Used Royal Oak and a few pecan chunks... Came out GREAT! Great flavor and crispy skin too boot...

Wanted to take a pic, but they didn't last long enough for me to grab the camera...

We will be doing this again... and again! Thanks for the recipe!

James.
Kneuby

PostPosted: Thu May 11 06 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be the recipe I use for my first time using my new ECM. That looks so good.
sprky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17 06 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien this looked and sounded so well I just had too try it out, besides it gives me an excise to make margaritas Wink . I made my list of things I was going to need. I set off at 8:30 am today headed to Wal-Mart to get the items. I searched high and low for the dry ingredients and couldnít find them anywhere, so I bought what I could get. Off too the next grocery store in hopes they had them, no such luck, same at the other 2 stores in town. Came back home and searched the net for them, found them at Samís club, which of course I have no membership. So I decided that I would have to improvise. I pulled up Toneís web site and checked out the ingredients that were in them. I went to the closest store and browsed their spices, and picked up what I considered was close. I settled on the following; Kroger salt free Zesty blend Lemon pepper, Kroger Zesty blend Southwest chipotle, Private selection Garlic and pepper seasoning, and Kroger chopped onions. I made the rub by using the following;
2 parts lemon pepper,
1 part chopped onion
1 part southwest chipotle
1 part garlic and pepper
Ĺ part white sugar
I injected 2 of the chickens using the injection as stated. The other 2 I injected substituting canola oil for the olive oil and margarita mix for the limejuice.
Too see if there was going to be a difference and which we liked better, if there was.
I had the birds injected and rubbed by 3 and let them sit in fridge to marinate for a bit. fired the grill up around 5:30 and got it too temp, which is around 275 on the grate, with cherry wood smoke. Put the birds on around 6. At 8:30 they were a nice dark golden brown and at 160 in the breast, I figure they will be ready too come off around 9:30. My smoke is rolling good using a small cast iron skillet with cherry chips ĺ covered with foil on the cooking grate over the burner that is on. I tried using a foil pouch, which didnít produce the smoke like this is, I may be on too something here. I will post how they turned out, if there was a difference and which we liked better. BTW I made a Ĺ gal pitcher of margaritas before injecting, which Iím finishing the last of as I post this Embarassed . Guess id better go make another. Wink
sprky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19 06 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the results of my margarita chickens.
The birds came off the grill at 9:45 I wrapped them in foil and put them in the cooler to rest. They sat in the cooler till 10:30 when the wife got home. I pulled one of each of the birds not telling anyone which was which so I could get a blind taste test. After everyone had eaten some of each, I asked if there was a difference. Everyone said that the first bird was a bit sweeter. It was the one injected with the margarita mix, with canola. I asked if there was any thing else that was different. No one could tell that there was any other difference. Both birds were very juicy with great flavor, but when we were all done the one injected with the mix was totally gone. Everyone preferred the sweeter. I have been instructed to make these again, using the mix. So my conclusion is that there is no difference in flavor between the two oils, and that using margarita mix makes for a sweeter bird.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21 06 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great. There is a taste difference between lime pepper and lemon though.
sprky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23 06 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
That sounds great. There is a taste difference between lime pepper and lemon though.

I couldnít find any of the ingredients for the dry rub, thatís why I settled for the lemon pepper instead of the lime pepper. But I have a local grocery store that is going too see if they can get them for me.
awilly1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26 06 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's all I can say. I did my version of this chicken this weekend for my first barbequeing experience and it was great. I say my version because as others have said it was hard to find the rub ingredients, so I improvised with some lemon pepper and some roasted garlic and herb and I put in a little store bought rub just cause I had no clue on what to use to replace the chipotle. Turned out awesome. Thanks Alien.
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10 06 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Margarita Chicken Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Margarita Chicken

Living in New Mexico every day is reason for a party. Margarita chicken is a family favorite and is quick and easy to do.

The dry ingredients:
2 parts Lime Pepper mix
1 part Chipotle
1 part Roasted garlic with Bell Peppers mix

The wet injection mix:
2 parts Olive oil
2 parts Sweetened Lime Juice
1 part Tequila

Mix the wet ingredients together and inject into all parts of the chicken.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and dredge the chicken on both sides with the dry mix. Place the chicken in a preheated smoker @ 225 degrees. Cook till an internal temperature of 180 degrees is reached.

[
(Photo shows chicken LT., and Mexican pork RT.)

Let chicken rest for 20-30 minutes after pulling form the smoker.
Chicken will have a semi-crisp skin and should not be burnt.

Inside of the chicken will be slightly pink (from the smoke) and be very moist and flavorful.

Hmmm... Two of my favorite ingredients, tequila and chipotles!

Alien, anything I should change to accomidate this recipe on a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro for a couple of whole chickens on a rotissarie?

I just picked up a bottle of Agavero tequila, so I'm lokking forward to using it in the receipe...

One highly tweaked Char-Griller Smokin' Pro
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5172
Junk Yard Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 08 3:58 am    Post subject: Mexican pork Reply with quote

Hey, what about the Mexican pork? That looks good too. Did a search but didn't find anything.

Recipe?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 08 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican pork Reply with quote

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Hey, what about the Mexican pork? That looks good too. Did a search but didn't find anything.

Recipe?

Here you go..........

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2355&highlight=mexican
Junk Yard Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19 08 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alien,

I've printed it out and will try it. BTW, we used to go through Roswell on our way to muzzleloading deer hunting in Lincoln Nat'l Forest. I am quite familiar with the liquor store one block west, on Hwy 380, from the main intersection.

Very Happy
freytes2004

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02 08 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tha man Alien that is some good eatin Very Happy
ZCarmen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10 08 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow i love cooking chicken but i never did that!
That looks just delicious!
I will try it for sure
Thanks for posting!!
PlaneSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 08 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, that looks awesome! I'll be trying it! Thanks Alien!

Beam me up, Scotty Exclamation

Mike
ProQ Excel 20
Weber One-touch (2)
Weber Genesis Gold
Weber Smokey Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: