FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Peppered Pork Butt .... in 4 hours!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 10:20 am    Post subject: Mexican Peppered Pork Butt .... in 4 hours! Reply with quote

Mexican Peppered Pork

I love pulled pork but hate waiting and cooking for 20+hours. This recipe is done in approximately 4 hours and is a sure hit at your next party.

Normally you would cook a full size pork butt for 1.5 to 2 hours per pound at 225 degrees until it reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees. A few things happen during the cooking process that gives pulled pork its unique flavor. Internally, from 65 degrees (room temp) to approximately 140 degrees, the traditional smokering forms that is a sure sign of low and slow smoking. At 165 degrees, the fat in the meat starts to render (melt) back into the meat to insure its juiciness. Between 190 and 210 degrees, the meat had absorbed as much of the rendered fat as most people like and is ready to come off the smoker. This whole process takes about 20 hours depending on the size of the pork butt you started with. This recipe accomplished the same thing in 1/5th the time.

How can I perform this miracle of culinary magic? Do I have a mystical smoker where the laws of physics and time are different than in the rest of the world? No, I simply took what I know about the cooking process and I did the math. There is a formula for cooking time reduction when you use smaller pieces of meat. I donít know what it is, so donít write me to ask. However, by cutting this 13.5 lb. pork butt into 2-3 inch steaks, I knew that the time to cook the meat would be drastically reduced. I also knew that the probability of overcooking or drying out the meat went up as the portion size went down. To combat this probability, after I cut the butt into steaks, applied my dry rub and wet injection, I put cut pieces of pork fat that I had gotten from the butcher on top of the steaks so when the fat rendered at 160, it would keep the steaks nice and moist. The outcome from this experiment was a complete success and I will definitely do this again.

Here are our players:

Dry rub:
1 part Onion
1 part Chipotle
1 part Cilantro (Mexican Parsley)
1 part Cayenne Pepper
1 part Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper Mix
3 parts Turbino Sugar

Wet Injection
1 part Olive oil
1 part Kentucky Bourbon

Mix all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and apply to both sides of the pork steaks until fully covered.

Take the wet mix and using the injector; aerate (mix) the two together by pulling the mix in the injector and pushing it back out until the mix is a uniform color.
Once this has been accomplished, slowly inject the mixture into the pork butt steaks.
Place the meat on the smoker grill and apply the cut pork fat to the tops of each steak.

Cook @ 250 degrees until the internal temperature in the meat reaches 190 degrees.

Remove the cut pork fat from the tops of the steaks and discard the cut fat.

As you can see, the outside of the pork butt steaks are not as charred as they would normally be after 20 hours. The lighter charring (brownies) is more abundant due to a higher surface area of the steaks. However, the juices from the rendered fat are evident.

While this meat was able to be pulled apart, I chose to thin slice half of it for different types of meals over the next week. Notice that the smoke ring is very apparent and the meat is very moist.

The flavor of the rub was more abundant in this recipe due to more of it being applied to the meat. While I may not compete using this quick method, I would have no problem serving this to my family or preparing it this way for a commercial customer in a pinch.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Alien, thanks for posting this. I like the picture of the pulled pork where you can see how much extra bark you got out of it.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an experiment worthy of praise Alien. You continue to provide us with different ways to amaze our family and friends. Kudos my friend.

Oh....Great looking pork steaks!

Doc
Clayboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get more smoke ring this way. I think I will try it next time. The edges are my favorite anyway. Thanks for shareing!
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 06 9:03 pm    Post subject: Alien Reply with quote

You, my friend, are a smokin' animal. Was it as tender as a 15 hour smoke? Could you pull it as well? If I can do this at a comp, I could drink Whiskey and beer all night and not start smoking until 6:00 a.m.
Hey, just trying to figure out how a Team of 1 can do a comp and get some sleep.
PARTY!!!!!!
Please keep up the GREAT work on sharing what you know about Q, you Q'in' dog, you.
ed
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 06 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was tender and pullable, competition quality??? As I said in my post great for family or commercial jobs in a pinch. I would try this a couple of times before I would ever consider it ready for competition. Donít forget I injected this to add moistureÖ..
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 06 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think for KCBS comps you have to use a minimum 5 pound butt that has passed inspection. I would think that cutting it down into smaller chunks might be cause for a DQ, but I'm not 100% sure about that...
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 06 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
Actually, I think for KCBS comps you have to use a minimum 5 pound butt that has passed inspection. I would think that cutting it down into smaller chunks might be cause for a DQ, but I'm not 100% sure about that...

Correct, you can NOT part out the meat. Now I know of teams that butterfly it so it's exposed to more temp AND cook it much higher temps AND they win.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08 06 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info to know!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 06 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oki,
I wonder what would be the outcome if you spiral cut the meat (like a cinnamon roll). Technically you have not parted it out and it would be about the size of a large brisket all rolled out. Any thoughts on that?
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 06 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could even take that another step further and spiral cut the flat part you created into a long sausage shape, maybe coil it up in the smoker so air can get in between the coils?
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 06 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
I guess you could even take that another step further and spiral cut the flat part you created into a long sausage shape, maybe coil it up in the smoker so air can get in between the coils?

You are MMMMAAAAAADDDDDDD Razz
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 06 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's the ticket!
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 06 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
Oki,
I wonder what would be the outcome if you spiral cut the meat (like a cinnamon roll). Technically you have not parted it out and it would be about the size of a large brisket all rolled out. Any thoughts on that?

I know teams that butterfly them to get more meat exposure and thus more bark. As long as it's one piece, I'd assume you could. Easy enough to ask the KCBS rep at a contest for a "ruling" but I can't see why not.

The key is the judging, regardless of how you get there, the taste/tenderness/appearance are what's judge.

Smokin'
txinga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 7:54 am    Post subject: Maybe brine the butt? Reply with quote

I don't know where I could get enough (or large enough) pieces of pork fat. I haven't a butcher really close...

Do you think that brining the butt would be a fair subsitute for the injection and pork fat?

Thanks,

Tommy
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get most of mine from Albertsons now.
txinga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 8:11 am    Post subject: Woohoo! Reply with quote

Well, my local grocers don't really produce much in the way of trimmings; Publix, Kroger. I'm in Woodstock, Ga.

BUTT! (pun intended)

If any of you are wondering as I did as to where to find fat trimmings...

I called the local Harry's Farmers Market (Owned by Whole Foods) and the meat guy said anytime between 8 am and 9 pm they could hook me up.

Thanks for the great idea Alien, I see a smoke on the horizon.

Tommy
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great recipe Alien,those plates of pork are putting a smile on my face Very Happy Oustanding experiment with great looking results.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome Alien. Using an offset, the thought of reducing my cook time is very appealing, plus every one around my place wants a piece with bark on it, this could work very well.

Just thinking, perhaps some rather fatty bacon could be used as a topper for those having trouble finding trimmings.

Ray

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
Boomer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien

Great idea and I am sure allot of guys will try that
method so that they don't have to babysit the pork all day.

Question Alien

I worked with an old chef he always taught me about
Larding meat with a larding needle. I have been thinking
about trying it on a large cut of meat. Some BBQ people
say that the fat renders and goes thru the meat and some
say it doesn't. Do you think if I larded a large cut of meat
on the smoker that the fat would render out from the inside.
Or is 225* not hot enough? Would I have to bump
the temp up to roasting temp 300-350*

Thanks for your time
and expertise

Boomer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: