FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many BBQ Tattoos do you have ? (permanent burns)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15 08 7:45 pm    Post subject: How many BBQ Tattoos do you have ? (permanent burns) Reply with quote

I have a really great looking one and it is about a inch and a half long, little over quarter inch wide on one on my forearm from my offset. How it happened was i walked away from my offset just after i reloaded it with wood . About 10 min. I came back to check on the progress of my cook and the cooking chamber was over 400 degrees so i put on my welding gloves on and reached in the fire pit and pulled out a still burning chunk of wood. What i realized was my welding gloves we not long enough and my forearm touched the firepit door opening. This happened in the spring time .
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15 08 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think (smokers tattoos) are directly related to alcohol consumption correct me if I'm wrong.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15 08 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worst one was when I was building the cooker I just finished. I was working on it and cooking a couple racks of ribs in a holder and a shoulder roast on mine I guess to many irons in the fire. I had to reposition the racks of ribs to put on some taters and not even thinking with my bare hands grabbed both sides of the rack and believe me when your cooker guages are reading correctly at 275 its a good bet everything in the cooker is also. Shocked Laughing
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15 08 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidder wrote:
I think (smokers tattoos) are directly related to alcohol consumption correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess i,m not drinking anuf for I have no smoker tattoos .

so this gives me a new goal drink more and see how many tattoos I can gather uumm think I,ll work on the first part drink more Laughing Laughing
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Nate_bone
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 08 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting fingerprinted for a background check when I started my current job. The lady taking the prints looked at them and asked me if I worked in a restaurant. I was a bit puzzled, and said "Not really..... Why?" Apparently grease burns on your fingertips show up as white specks in your fingerprints, and each of my fingers had a dozen or more little specks. Then it all made sense. I don't have any real "smoker tatoos" but I definitely have singed myself a few times when adding wood or messing with hot meat straight off the smoker. And apparently now that's part of my identity and my permanent record! Laughing
xltrod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 08 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None yet but not for the lack of trying. Laughing
delriosmoke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 08 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three on the underside of my right forearm.

All from doing the SAME thing (aka the definition of stupidity).
Moving logs around in my firebox on my offset. Each one was done during my first 3 cooks with logs. After I got the second one, a nurse that I work with commented that it was the "burn of the week" . Of course I told him it was the last time, now I have some nice welders gloves...

Needless to say the next week I had a new tat and some more cool looking scar tissue followed shortly. The third one was directly related to overconsumption of Shiner Bock. The first 2 were done sober... yeah sober. This "BBQ tat of the week" doesn't happen anymore. I have a log poker for when I use the offset to move/adjust logs. No more sticking my arms into the firebox and searing flesh.

Take care,

2 home made UDS's (this man's "other" best friend)
Brinkmann Smoke n'Pit
$10 Wallyworld Charcoal Grill
Lodge Cast Irons and dutch ovens (new at these)
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 08 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidder wrote:

yeah so whats your point
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mhoodnc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 08 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a permanent but I bet I get the stupidest temporary.
Grilling chicken in my younger years and moving chicken over a very hot fire(memory is kind of fuzzy how it got so hot).
Decided to use the fork to taste the chicken and let it rest in my mouth, before I could get it out I had singed fork marks on my tongue and lips.

I've got a 2nd entry from this year....decided to use propane torch to burn grease off patio, concrete popped and I ended up with a very hot piece of it stuck in the corner of my eye. It kind of burnt itself in place, after prying out I had eye scabs for about 3 weeks.
burgandy-smoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 08 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tattoos but I currently have no hair on my right fore-arm from a propane "incident". It happened about two in the morning, but no alcohol was involved. Luckily, I only got a bad sunburn.
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 08 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhoodnc wrote:
Don't have a permanent but I bet I get the stupidest temporary.
Grilling chicken in my younger years and moving chicken over a very hot fire(memory is kind of fuzzy how it got so hot).
Decided to use the fork to taste the chicken and let it rest in my mouth, before I could get it out I had singed fork marks on my tongue and lips.

I've got a 2nd entry from this year....decided to use propane torch to burn grease off patio, concrete popped and I ended up with a very hot piece of it stuck in the corner of my eye. It kind of burnt itself in place, after prying out I had eye scabs for about 3 weeks.

Both of those just make me say ouch!

I added a tattoo to my knuckle today, and yes alcohol was involved... The beer pushed me into the grate! Laughing

CB
morick
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 08 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ouch that had to of sucked
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17 08 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many to count.

The pale strip down the center of my throat and on my forehead due to a propane flash has to be the most memorable. My wife really enjoyed that one. She put burn cream all over my face and neck and I went back to smoking. I few hours later she came out to check on me and started laughing her a$$ off, said I looked like Al Jolson (if you don't know who he is, click here http://www.sportsfrog.com/2007/10/are_we_really_okay_with_this.php) The neighbor came over with his camera to get few pics.

The most noticeable is a rope burn around my right hand. I got it when I was lowering my smoker down the ramp of a trailer and it got away from me. Since my wife is not standing behind me but she does read the forum, I will say it for her. Ten seconds before it happened my wife asked if I needed gloves and I said NO, I won't need any. Happy honey? Very Happy
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18 08 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like OkieJay, I have too many to remember, much less count. I don't have the alcohol involved excuse though. A lot probably have other scars on top of them now.

For most of my years, my sophisticated fire control instrument was the stick - a piece of a mesquite branch that was used for all manner of fire, coal, cooker vent, etc. adjustments. Gloves only entered the picture for me last year. usually I was cooking outdoors in shorts, T-shirt, and flip-flops (I still do most of my outdoor cooking this way, weather permitting).

I picked up a new one yesterday on the left side of my neck. Fiddling with my Brinkmann Stillwater, right at dusk, i evidently didn't swing the side firebox door completely out of the eway before bending down to poke the fire with my latest fire manipulation device - tongs, also new in the past year. I brushed the side of my neck below my ear against the top edge of the firebox door, just grazed it but the wife came up to me with the Neosporin in hand after supper, so I knew it definitely showed. No one asked about it at work today, and it didn't blister.

Truth be told, I have more scars from bad sunburns across my shoulders as a kid in Cub Scouts than I have from outdoor cooker incidents. The one that really left scars / freckles was the person driving us back from a beach campout had a flat - and a flat spare - that we had to roll a couple of miles each direction in the afternoon sun to the nearest filling station that day.
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18 08 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a nice imprint of expanded steel on the underside of his bicep.. I think it looks cool, but he winces every time i point it out...lol

Ray

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: