FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing whole hog??? Sauces and rubs??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 11:10 pm    Post subject: Doing whole hog??? Sauces and rubs?? Reply with quote

What makes for a exceptional rub for doing a whole hog? What is a really good recipe and if you are cooking it butterfly fashion would you rub the rub on both the skin side and the meat side?

Once you have a great rub down what makes for a great recipe for basting sauce???

I was thinking of doing a Eastern NC sauce... (The vinegar method, just looking for a really good one to do. I have seen some here that look good I may try.)

OK now that you have your basting sauce picked out and you have basted your hog and it is time to eat it would you have some of the basting sauce left over for everyone to put on their meat before they eat it (meaning the vinegar sauce) or would you have some other type of sauce for a condiment as you eat?

I will be doing a pig roast for my sons 4 year old birthday party come March and I want to get all my duck in a row before we try to do this. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated...

PS- My son is TOTALLY looking forward to this... He keeps telling everyone he is going to have a pig party for his birthday!!!

What I have been told was use this for your basting sauce...

Apple Cider Vinegar
Some cups of Water
Crushed Red Pepper
Sweet Paprika
Kosher Salt
Ground Clove
Black Pepper

Now I know I will use it to baste the hog while cooking, but will it be good to have as a dip for people when the hog is done and people are eating? What esle would be good to have for sauces to eat it with?

Also as for a rub I was sold just use sweet pepreka on the meat side... Not the skin side. Let cook then after 3/4 way done start your basting.

Well that's waht I have so far please chime in on this one and many thanks!!!
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra,

Like I said in the other thread I love the vinegar sauce. Since you're doing a whole hog, maybe have a vinegar, tomato, and mustard based sauce for your guests to put on.

It's been years since i've done a whole hog, but I still do whole shoulders pretty often. I do them over coals with the skin still on. I start skin side down and flip it after a couple of hours. As long as you don't have your coals too hot (180 to 200*), you'll get a nice crisp skin. I bump the temp up to 225ish* after I flip it.

I never us a rub or a basting sauce when I do it like this, but I'm sure you could with great results. The pig should have enough fat, though, that you don't have to worry about drying it out.

So, are we invited to the party. Wink Very Happy I'll bring the slaw and tater salad.

-Hog

:::EDIT::: If you start skin side down, be very careful flipping him over. Pockets of liquified fat will get trapped between the skin and meat. it's possible for that to come out and catch fire. Many years ago (as a child) I saw a whole pig go up in flames.
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey why not! It shoud be a good time we will be having it at our boat club. I think this will be great along with a good veiw!!!

Now I just need all 3 types of sauces recipes and make them up for everyone. How long do the sauces last in the fridge?

Feel free to give advice on recipes for sauces... I am going from scratch so all help will be worth their weight in gold!
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 06 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am actually shocked that there are no people with advice on doing a whole hog?!?!?!
ChipotlePat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15 06 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cook a whole hog I will start with a 150 lb pig I cut the skin off in 1 piece and save it so it can be put on latter on. Then put my rub and slap it in the pig. Let it rest and bring it to room temp. And put it on the smoker running style and put a 4x4 wrapped in foil to slow the cooking of the Loins and ribs and smoke for 3 hours and then put the skin back on and wrap with foil and cook for 12 more hours. It is all way so good and tender.
I cooked 15 hog last year. and by takeing the skin off you get great smoke in the pig.

What are you cooking The hole hog on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: