FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reptileink
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 08 9:17 pm    Post subject: new question Reply with quote

..but came up pretty sparse.

Oil tanks....discuss.

I see a lot of them on Craigslist for free or short money. Was thinking of picking one up.

Question, an empty tank weighs what, about 300lbs?

I have a Chevy Colorado, would that hold the weight?

Also, if there is any oil residue, can it just be burned out, or should I degrease it. If I do degrease it, is it bad to just let it run out of the driveway.

Can I cut a cast iron tank with a sawzall?

Thanks gents

Last edited by reptileink on Sat Nov 01 08 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 08 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, I did a search... Reply with quote

reptileink wrote:
..Question, an empty tank weighs what, about 300lbs?

Can I cut a cast iron tank with a sawzall?

Thanks gents

I don’t think that if have seen any “cast iron” oil tanks before. Usually made of 1/8” sheet metal.

If it is a 275-gallon oil tank a buddy of mine and I moved one up the stairs out of my basement and doubt it was anywhere near 300 pounds as I was on the down slope side.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
reptileink
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 08 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? I thought most oil tanks were cast iron. Hrmmm. Sheet metal seems thin to me. Hrmmm
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 08 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reptileink wrote:
really? I thought most oil tanks were cast iron. Hrmmm. Sheet metal seems thin to me. Hrmmm

there are a few ringer's who have oil tank cookers. A buddy of mine has an upright rotisery pig cooker made out of an oil tank.

knuter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted an old oil tank last year and this is what I did.... I first had the door cut and legs put on and hinged the door....next I took two 10 lb bags of kingsford and put it in the bottom along with an armfull of split wood... I then lit charcoal and let it burn for about 24 hours ... scrubed it out with degreaser and burnt it again same way then scrubed out with degreaser and preassure washer. After all of that I put the shelves together, hooked up fire box and mounted on the trailer then seasoned it. The cooker smells wonderful in side, I know there are those opposed to using the old oil drums but it worked fine for mine, just err on the side of caution and burn until you can no longer smell any oil smell.

The drum is 1/8 in sheet metal not cast iron.
reptileink
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you didn't have any problems with black oily smoke/soot?? I am afraid of burning out an oil drum that it might go BOOM. lol

So no need to leech it out like in a old propane tank?
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reptileink wrote:
so you didn't have any problems with black oily smoke/soot?? I am afraid of burning out an oil drum that it might go BOOM. lol

No. 2 fuel oil is essentially diesel fuel. You can drop a match in diesel and it won’t ignite. You can even saw the door open with a torch and not worry about explosion (gasoline is another story).

I was formerly a Project Geologist and oversaw underground storage tank removals. The contractors would cut an entry port in the metal tanks with a saws-all to clean sludge out.

Cut it open and start one very large hot fire in it and burn it off, should be fine.

milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built cookers out of propane and oil tanks.

The Q comes out great with all of them.

Nate_bone
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started building my rig out of an oil tank, my process for cleaning it was almost exactly like what knuter described. The only difference was I didn't pressure wash it. The downside was that it still had about 10 gallons of fuel in it, and when I picked it up from the folks that sold it I only had two petite women to help me load it. That was a cast iron b*tch (but the tank is only sheet metal, though it is plenty thick IMO).
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cut an oil tank with a blade, NOT A TORCH!!

Vapor explodes, and oil tanks have a fuel-oil vapor in them, Think about how a diesel engine works, Compresion lights it off, and if it is cold a glow plug helps to get it going.

We lost 3 souls this summer that were welding on a catwalk above a fiberglass wood pulp tank, KABOOM!!!! it ripped one guy in half!!

The wood pulp putrified and made explosive gasses, one spark did it!
Cast&Que

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 08 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my smoker I built from an old oil tank.

First I drained the 5 gallons of oil out of the tank then, I cut the doors with disk grinder and welded the hinges on. Then I went to the car wash and used simple green to de-grease and clean it out. After I did that there was no oil smell/ residue left, but I built a huge fire in it just be safe twice.
reptileink
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 08 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth $50 for a 99% empty one? I was trying to build a "free" Craigslist, forage, beg, smoker for the spring, nice winter project. Most of the free tanks have oil in them, and I just don't want to deal with disposing of it. The one for $50 states that is has only a small amount of "soot" in the bottom.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 08 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reptileink, the way I would look at it is this 50.00 nowadays is a lot of money and when I build something typically I am doing it because I enjoy it so if I can put that 50.00 towards steal or what ever then my labor for disposing of the oil would be a no brainer. I would check local parts stores because around here they all have oil disposal tanks we just bring it to them sign off on it and thats it. This is just the way I would go about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: