FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling smoked pork to a resturant.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 06 1:14 am    Post subject: Selling smoked pork to a resturant. Reply with quote

We were eating in a local eatery the other day and I noticed on the menu: BBQ, when available. Got to thinking about bringing some of mine by and letting them taste to see if they would like to purchase some form time to time as a backup. I could vaccum seal a few lbs. / pack and they could boil a bag when they ran out of the regular. Have not tried his normal source yet for it was "not available". BBQ is not there speciality. Would I need to be licenesed or would he be assuming the risk if he bought from me? Just something to help pay for the fuel when I smoke.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14 06 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that you would need all the licensing and insurance and everything to do this..unless you cooked it in his kitchen. His kitchen is already setup for that sort of thing. If you were really interested in it, you might talk to him about running a pit for him..you can talk to krazylegs about it..
Reflect
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 06 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will differ state to state.

Here in Ohio you would need to prepare the food in a commercial kitchen, they frown on home bassed preperation. If above board, again in Ohio not sure about other states, you would need to purchase either a vendor license or business license. Vending license would allow you to move locations inter state while still be licensed validly.

Of course taxes at the end of the year would come into play.

Take care,

Brian
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 06 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting into some federal laws here and both you as the supplier and the restaurant as the purchaser will be breaking the law. I am sure there are other state laws as well but I sure would advise against it.

A fellow might work out something where you are an employee of the place and maybe rent the cooker out to them as all cooking would need to be done at their site each time you would cook. By being an employee, you should be covered by their insurance and you would be using a BOH approved kitchen.

The next problem you will have is all the rules concerning cooking on an outside cooker at the restaurant. In my state, it would have to be done on a concrete slab under a roof and all screened in so it is bugproof. It would also need to be rodent proof as well. In many areas, you may also need a smoke scrubber before you could get it oked to cook on. You will also probably need a full vent setup over the cooker with fire protection built into this system. I think if you would cut some corners, you coud get setup to do this for about 30K.

The laws for catering are not as strict in most states but again, to do it legal does cost some money. And if you are not legal, the competition will turn you in in a heartbeat and they should.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 06 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda makes you wonder how a restaurant could have "BBQ when available". Sounds like the restaurant owner may be cutting a few corners as mentioned.
LIAR #100
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09 06 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a smoke scrubber?

GO VOLS!
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 06 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas P. wrote:
What's a smoke scrubber?

Not sure, but I think we all qualify as "smoke scrubs". Laughing
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 06 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it cleans the smoke before letting it out...basically i dont think that you could just have the uncleaned smoke leaving the building...
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14 06 1:22 am    Post subject: Catering?? Reply with quote

Randy Man,
Just have a Private Party (legal in every state) and let the guy come by and you can GIVE him all the Q he wants and he leave you a TIP. You are covered legally, I guess?
Smoke On!!!!!
Ed
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14 06 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: