FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Cookers Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19 06 9:23 am    Post subject: Pro Cookers Forum Reply with quote

Guys, I'd like to see another forum added to the ring that focuses on the business end of barbecue. There is a forum for catering, but not one for restaurants (the restaurant forum is more of a review and recommendation board, and not one that discusses the finer points of running a smokehouse, tips, shortcuts, processes, management, staffing, marketing, etc.).

What are your thoughts and how can this be added if you agree?

KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19 06 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me... I don't see how all of those points would not be appropriate for the catering forum as well...

James.
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19 06 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it fits but perhaps the master group title needs to be "pro's corner," or something to that effect, with catering as a subcatagory. It actually should be titled "restaurant," but that's taken for reviews.
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19 06 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an added comment.....maybe there aren't actually that many "pro's" in this forum...I don't know the answer. It sounds like a few people have small catering outfits and I saw one guy with a trailer stand....but I wonder how many actual pitmasters we have vs home enthusiasts. If not that many pros, we don't need such a forum.

Maybe we can find out with this discussion string....

If you could, please respond with a comment of either "pro" or "enthusiast" and we'll count em up.
ChipotlePat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 1:28 am    Post subject: Pro Reply with quote

For me I don't Have manny questions. becuse I have ben doing it for a while but i do like the I deal of the focuses on the business end of barbecue kit might help others.
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess it's more important to me because I am on the verge of turning "pro" but I actually am a long-time enthusiast at this point. I have never even really worked in a restaurant! LOL

Oh god help me.

Many questions regarding managing meat and sides inventory, storage requirements (freezer and cold), time management in the kitchen, etc.

The last is important, because, as an enthusiast I can have a two-day love affair with a nice brisket....trimming just right, making and applying marinades and/or rubs, building the perfect fire, and then doting on my smoker to produce a beautiful end result.

In a restaurant, I don't see how I will have time or $$ resources to "baby" my projects. I will never be able to sleep and the marinades might cost more than the actual product.

Anyway, that's why I think it would be of value. Based on lack of interest, perhaps this string can serve as an initial home base for the forum.

KJ
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have some new folks from around the world participating.

Catering and running a restaurant pretty much cover the same basics. Depending on where you are located, year round weather, size of the local population, competition etc. all cover the same ground. So does safe food handling, ordering proper quantities of food , insurance, and all the rest.

Although I still learn new things almost daily, I make my living as a BBQ pro. My equipment is a lot nicer than what you find at most restaurants too ! Very Happy
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ

There are lots of "pros" on Basso's forum.

This topic comes up regularly over there. Some very experienced BBQ people have lost tons of money trying to open resturants. Then there are guys like Jeff from Oklahoma Joes, who have done really well.

As with any business venture, do lots of research before jumping in.

JMHO--Jeff
Weber 22" Kettle
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, that's my MO, learn as much as possible and listen to everybody.

What's Basso's forum?
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find Basso's forum here http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

I guess I'm really just a severe "home enthusiast"! I do cater several parties a year, but it is not my main source of income... I don't think I would like running a BBQ resturant... That might take some of the fun out of the entire process for me...

I still like to read and learn from those how do tho...

James.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20 06 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjwalker wrote:
Yeah, I guess it's more important to me because I am on the verge of turning "pro" but I actually am a long-time enthusiast at this point. I have never even really worked in a restaurant! LOL

Oh god help me.

Many questions regarding managing meat and sides inventory, storage requirements (freezer and cold), time management in the kitchen, etc.

The last is important, because, as an enthusiast I can have a two-day love affair with a nice brisket....trimming just right, making and applying marinades and/or rubs, building the perfect fire, and then doting on my smoker to produce a beautiful end result.

In a restaurant, I don't see how I will have time or $$ resources to "baby" my projects. I will never be able to sleep and the marinades might cost more than the actual product.

Anyway, that's why I think it would be of value. Based on lack of interest, perhaps this string can serve as an initial home base for the forum.

KJ

You plan on opening a restaurant and you have never worked in a restaurant? I would suggest that get a job in a restaurant first...Have you ever had a job in the service industry?

As far as catering being like running a restaurant I would say that is about the say as driving to work and driving in the Daytona 500...

Running a restaurant you probably will need 15-20 employees. You will have to pay rent and utilites for every day even if you arent busy...I would strongly suggest that you get a job in a restaurant atleast for a month or so to atleast what goes into a restaurant on a daily basis..

Also remember that you will probably have someone other than you making a majority of the food, or atleast prepping things, so that means training and recipes...

All in all good luck with your bbq joint, but it doesnt sound like you have a lot of food service expereince and cooking in the backyard is vastly different than cooking for 100's of strangers everyday..
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21 06 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points there, Dawgfan. Although I have not driven in the Daytona 500 (even though I am from Florida!) I have managed a few large food establishments! Very Happy It's always a good idea to get some expierence in any career field to "get your feet wet"before diving in head first!

Lots of restaurants fail in the first year due to lack of proper planning, and lack of proper funding. Restaurant's are also a LOT of hard work around the clock. I make a good living with my catering, and still have time to enjoy life too! Very Happy
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22 06 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
All good points there, Dawgfan. Although I have not driven in the Daytona 500 (even though I am from Florida!) I have managed a few large food establishments! Very Happy It's always a good idea to get some expierence in any career field to "get your feet wet"before diving in head first!

Lots of restaurants fail in the first year due to lack of proper planning, and lack of proper funding. Restaurant's are also a LOT of hard work around the clock. I make a good living with my catering, and still have time to enjoy life too! Very Happy

and I am sure that management experience has served you well in yur catering business...

Proper planning is often the difference between success and failure no matter what you are doing...so if you are serious about opening a BBQ joint make sure you take your time and do the reasearch...dont think that your Que is so good that it wont matter, because it will...
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23 06 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points guys, and exactly why I am posting these types of messages.

I don't have experience in the restaurant business, but I was smart enough to get a partner with the operational-side under his belt. We will combine that with my management, marketing, and recipes to open the restaurant.

I am also going to work in his place for a few weeks to watch how things happen, the processes, etc. I have a knack for improving almost everything, so this will be a great learning experience and also might help his operation out.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23 06 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you expect your clientel to be chineese or tourists? Just curious. Wondering if the chineese will take to Q.
LS Wong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 06 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ: I agree with all the pros above that u should get some practical knowledge in the operations before jumping in, I think u made a wise move to get into the operations and get some basic knowledge how a restaurant operation works, it certainly comes handy in your impending undertaking. I have managed restaurants for over 6 years, and still learning.

What Steve-O asked is also very relevant. I think you will need to have some menu items suit to local taste too. I am in Malaysia, I have always modify recipes I got from this forum...basically incorporate more local spices and looooots of chili (people here loves it) for dips. Although I do alot of chinese BBQ (Char Siew, Roast Pork/duck etc), but I find western BBQ recipes r good too.
LS Wong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 06 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ: I would like to share a book I find practical, Design and Equipment for Restaurants and Foodservice (2nd Edition), by Costas Katsigris & Chris Thomas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: