FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20050108 Smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 12:43 pm    Post subject: 20050108 Smoke Reply with quote

I did a brisket flat and Butt this weekend. I marinated the brisket in my BILs marinade (no recipe) and rubbed it with his rub (again, no recipe). He gave these to me for xmas, so I tried them. Very good. I'll get the recipe out of him. Also did a butt. Just rubbed it with ButtRub. I foiled the brisket at 4 hours, but did not foil the Butt. All meat was for lunches this week (freezer) as I'm on a low carb diet.

Here is the brisket rubbed. Smoked it fat side up for 4 hours, then foiled, and continued to 190.

Oh, I had frozen this in vacuum seal. So I cut it out, rubbed it, then sealed it back up and put it in the refer overnight.

Not sure why I'm sharing this. But I mark everything in case it stays too long.....

Here is the butt. I'm using butt rub (Brand). Just the rub, no mustard as I'm out. D'Oh! I rubbed it, put it in the refer overnight, then applied some more. It had a lot of rub (came out tasty).

Butt on top of brisket. Butt will baste the flat. Thermo is in the flat as it will come to temp first. Put it in the butt when I pulled the brisket.

Naptime. One eye on the remote thermo, one on the smoke, one on the TV, and one shut.

Slicing the brisket. Slices will be bagged and frozen for lunches. I foiled the brisket at 4 hours. Lot's of juice in the foil. I added a smidgen of juice to each bag....ok...it was more than a smidgen. Squeezed the air out and froze. I did not vacuum seal as I plan on eating it very soon.

Pulled the pork at 195. Looked great. Pulled 1/2 the pork with my bear paws.

Here is the pulled pork lunchables.

The other half of the butt I cut into cubes. Someone here gave me the idea. Pulled pork is great. But I thought small cubes might be better for lunches (at work). Especially on my diet as I don't eat bread. Anywho, I'll let you know how it goes.

Lunchables

I foiled the brisket at 4 hours. I'm just not comfortable without foiling them. It turned out great as usual. This time I did not foil the butt. It came out dryer than usual. Not bad. But usually I foil and have some juice to put back into it. This time the juice basted the brisket and none left over. I think I'll devise a way of collecting the pork fat next time. That being said, the bark was perfect... And I might change my mind on collecting fat if the product tastes as good as it looks.

One more note. I pulled half the butt and cubed the other half. I could not cube the butt when it was hot, so I let it cool a bit, wrapped it, and put it in the refer to chill. The next day it was solid enough to carve. Used an electric knife to carve it.

Hope you enjoy the post. Any ideas for improvement, let'em fly.
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really shouldn't be reading the forum this late. Now I am totally going crazy! That looked so good I almost licked the screen, but it looks a little dirty right now so I thought better of it!

I just heard the other day on another forum about someone doing a side-by-side comparison of a brisket with mustard, and without. What the guy did was take one brisket and coat one half of it with mustard, and leave the other half without. Then he put the rub on, let it sit and Q'ed it up. In the end, the side without the mustard had deeper smoke ring and the same taste. The taste is no surprise, since everyone kinda knows the mustard flavor does not survive the cook, but the smoke ring may have really said something. What I got out of it was that the mustard in some way inhibited the penetration of smoke into the meat. Perhaps this could go further and the rub wasn't able to penetrate as far either???? Shocked That would be interesting since the main reason for the mustard is to get more rub onto the meat! Very Happy

Anyway, I usually have to see stuff before I believe it, so I'm gonna try doing the same thing. Thought I'd let you know since you asked for suggestions, and you used mustard.
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum Steve-O, looks excellent.

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attaboy. Steve Exclamation
I like those "bear claws." I'll be on the lookout for those.
Those lunchables look great. I bet you're the envy of the lunch room at work.

Weldon
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real good Steve! I foil my brisket too- I just dont get good results without it, and I cook a lot of brisket! The folks that pan "Texas Crutch" for brisket are probably used to eating shoe leather! Laughing
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo: This was the first time without mustard and without foiling the Butt. It looks great, but taste will tell. I just might do this all the time. I rubbed it the night before and put more rub on the day of. I got a lot of rub to stick, so maybe I don't need the mustard after all. PS: Good to have you back. Missed the mad scientist posts.

Weldon: Everyone in the lunchroom knows when I'm eating. Very Happy The difference between Tony Roma reheats and real smoked is the aroma. People stop dead in their tracks when they go by the lunchroom. Smells good!

BBQMAN: I'll foil my brisket till someone shows me how to do it better without. Especially the flat. I plan on attending (not competing in) a couple comps this year just to see what other folks do.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most (but not all) use foil Very Happy I have done it both ways, and have never had good results without it. Brisket is a TOUGH cut to cook, and hard to master either way. Most honest folks will admit to using foil on brisket, myself included! Very Happy I dont foil too long, as it can make the meat mushy.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Steve-O.............talk about making a guy hungry.....great pics........definitely would not mind snagging one of those lunchables about now!!!!!
Nate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10 06 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great Steve-O. Those look to be mighty hefty sized lunchables. My kinda meal.

What was the length of the full cook?
dabaslab
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good and makes me want Que.

One question...

QUOTE - "Naptime. One eye on the remote thermo, one on the smoke, one on the TV, and one shut."

I count 4. How you do that??? Very Happy

Dabaslab[/quote]
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good eats you got there Steve-O. I like the idea of cutting some of the butt into cubes. I use butt in my soup beans so that's a cool tip. Thanks.

Doc
dabaslab
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeldonBBQ,

Those Bear claws can be found on Ebay about all the time.

Dabaslab
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve-O,

I have the exact same Brinkman as my backup smoker. With the Oklahoma burn ban, it is all I can cook on right now. I have a couple of questions.

Do you use blankets/towels to keep you temps up?

What do you use to make the smoke? I use a smoke pistol, but I am not real thrilled with it. I may go back to foil packed wood chunks.

Thanks,
Jay
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie,

I have that same smoker and I just put a couple of 2-3 inch chunks of wood that have been soaking in water down by the coil, and I replace them every 1/2 hour or so. I've never had any real problems with temps either but i dont use it much in the winter. The inside of mine at the top rack stays right at 225.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDS- just a tip on the wood. Dry chunks will burn a little faster, but they burn a lot better with a cleaner smoke. Wet wood produces arid smoke and will leave your meat bitter! Shocked There are a few threads here on that topic. Very Happy Use a little less wood with your coals to keep the temp. regulated, but enough to keep the good smoke rolling along!
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11 06 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
Hey Steve-O, I have a couple of questions.
Do you use blankets/towels to keep you temps up?
What do you use to make the smoke?

I found that if you keep the smoker out of the wind and in the sun, the temp is 15 degees higher. I had 225 this weekend, but it was 70. I don't use a blanket but bought a "gassmoker" to get the temp up. I start on the electric bottom, then lift the top section and move it over the gas smoker when I want to kick up the temp toward the end of the smoke.

For smoke I have a "pie pan" in the bottom over the electric coils. I just toss in a few dry wood chips every 30 minutes for the 1st 4 hours. I think this was DawgPhan's idea.

Now don't ask me about a smoke ring.....
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 06 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there steve-o, whatever works for you! At least the chips are dry! Very Happy
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 06 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up on the cubed pork.

Part of my last butt was cubed instead of being pulled. I thought I could take this to work in a container, heat it up, add some sauce, shake it a bit and have some nice tasty morsels. Nope. When I shook it, it shredded. However, it was easier to eat out of a bowl than my regular pulled pork, so I will do it again for lunches.

FYI
chetman21161
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 06 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANG STEVE-O, BETWEEN YOU AND ROXY, YOUR KILLIN' ME. I GOTTA DO SOMETHIN' AN SOON. HAVEN'T SMOKED SINCE LABOR DAY. USED MY LAST BAG OF PULLED PORK FOR THE LAST NEXTEL RACE. MY SCREEN HAPPENS TO BE CLEAN, SO I LICKED IT AND BOY DID IT TASTE GOOOOO-OOOOOOD, CLARKE.
CHETMAN
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12 06 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you been Chetman? You and FatCatMarky went AWOL on us.

SIC is in transition, so somebody had to post a few pics.

Wish I'd taken a picture of the whole butt. Nice and crispy bark. Cut into it and it crackled a bit. Tore a piece off and chewed on it for awhile. Dang, Sorry. Making you hungry again ain't I? Very Happy

Welcome back Chetman!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: