FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Also in Georgia,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacMitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07 06 11:34 pm    Post subject: Also in Georgia, Reply with quote

I have been reading & enjoying this forum for several weeks now so I guess its time to introduce myself.

I live in Alpharetta, GA, North, Northern Fulton County, metro Atlanta on 12 acres in "horse" country. I am an animal nut who has become very active in dog training. I have been working on a commercial dog training "park" for several years now. I am building a place where people can hang out with their dog(s) & have some fun without all the restrictions dogs & people typically have to endure. Specifically we offer fenced & remote areas where people can work with their dog off leash, around other people with dogs who are also off leash. But enough about business..

I got kinda retired from my backpacking and many other outdoor activities when I was rear ended in my truck while stopped at a stop sign. You may not want to get me started on lawyers, insurance companies or even doctors. The end result is my back & neck are no longer open to sleeping outside. I use to love to cook over open fires for buddies on camping & hiking trips. I kinda became the unofficial camp chef. So for the last few years I have been learning to cook in outdoor smokers with my beloved wood.

I have been using a "Depot" smoker for 5-6 years and although it has taught me a great deal, it fails in so many respects I probably better not even get started on the subject. The wife & I decided to buy ourselves a "real" smoker for Christmas which led me here. My wife loves to bake but she prefers not to do much cooking so her attraction to this is the good food & the reduction in her role as chef. She is very happy preparing desert & homemade slaw. We have become increasingly interested in the idea of cooking not only for ourselves but for friends & clients.

We have some great places to set up a smoker and do some large cookouts so we are pretty excited about the idea. I am guessing we will be bugging you pore people pretty regularly now.
(SIC) BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07 06 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring, it's good to have ya. There are plenty of talented chefs and pitmasters here to answer all your questions. I have learned alot from these guy's and continue to learn. Enjoy

Jason

[Sci]ence + A[r]t = (SIC) BBQ
BBQ Nut
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Neighbor! I am about 2 hrs away from you, Anderson SC. As SIC said, there is a lot of info here. I know I have picked up a ton of information in this forum. Glad to have you with us.
MacMitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys!

Anderson, SC ehh. I have a grandmother & grandfather burried there, use to visit granny often while I was in school at old FU (Furman University). Use to be this young coed, no better not go there, guess the wife could read this Smile)
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring!

We bought property in North Georgia (Epworth/Blue Ridge) area.

Good luck with your new venture, sounds like fun! Very Happy
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mac! Welcome!! Glad to hear you enjoy some smoke..what was the Depot you had, and what did you buy now?
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08 06 8:55 pm    Post subject: Welcome ABOARD!!!!! Reply with quote

Welcome Mac,
Come on in. The Q is fine!!!!
ed
MacMitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 06 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mikesooner,

I don't think the Home Depot smoker I have has a name. It is a firebox about 18x20 attached to a 3' tall smoker box.

I think I am about to buy a Diamond Plate Fat 50. I very much admire the Bates workmanship, but the smoker I want from Bates is: 600+ more, does not have as much cooking space & Bates is way behind in orders, 10-12 weeks to build & more to get delivery.

I like the design and utility of the Diamond Fat 50. The cooker is a horizontally stretched cylinder that provides two shelves in the neighborhood of 60"x42", thats enormous cooking space in a small area. I like the Diamond mid, 45% fire box attached with 2 6" pipes instead of a simple hole. The water/steam system on the Diamonds is very nice. The Diamond has gas starter assist in the fire box and a large gas burner in the firebox that I am sure will come in handy. I would also get two HP gas burners. The wood storage is great. The whole layout is IMHO the easiest to work with.

I think the air/heat/smoke control on the Diamonds is second to none and IMHO when you get down to it that is the main issue in regard to how the thing will cook.
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09 06 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mac! I've heard nothing but good about Diamond Plate rigs...I think the Fat 50 is what OkieJay bought. Liked it so much, he became a dealer! Check out the member list if you want to talk to him about his experiences with his rig. Get that baby ordered!
MacMitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24 06 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marietta dealer had the one here listed on eBay . The dang thing sold for over list so I missed that one. No problem Travis was building more. Looks like the guy that was going to go get it is sick so I am still haaaanging on Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: