FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brine Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 2:55 am    Post subject: Brine Question Reply with quote

According to the Brining 101 site, one of the "Tips & Tricks" is that to get a crisp brown skin on a whole chicken that has been brined, you should remove it from the brine at the desired time and wrap it in foil or plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator overnight or for 12 hours. It indicates that the reason for this is to allow the meat to pull in the moisture from the skin.

I had a salt-free rub I wanted to apply to my chicken, and was wondering if it is OK to add the rub when taking from the brine and wrapping as outlined above. That way the rub has time to mingle. I'm not sure what effect this may have, or if I should instead just wait and put the rub on before cooking.

Any thoughts Question
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you just doing one chicken? Sounds like time for one of your experiments... Do two or apply the rub to one half of the chicken before the refrigeration and then do the other half right before it hits the smoker... Then send me the chicken(s) and I'll let you know what I think. Very Happy
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm planning on 4 chickens, each with a different set of ingredients. I had considered splitting the chickens in half, and may do so just to so I can do a side-by-side comparison as you suggested. Game on!
BradM
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure and let us know what I happens. I like reading your experiments.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always good to have questions about that 101. Wink

I'd suggest maybe a little of the rub in the brine.

Air Drying as a technique is pretty common and does help the skin. A salty rub will also pull moisture away from the skin, but it will also pull moisture away from the meat also.

The only concern I would have is having a rub on too long sometimes causes it's own issues.

The experiments are a great way to tell. Looking forward to the results. Are you doing different brines? The white will take the brine quicker than the dark. Just my theory, but the density of the two meat types is different and does make a difference.

Russ
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ, I was hoping you'd chime in! Very Happy

I was going to use different brines and rubs for each bird to test them out on their merits. I was going to season the brines with the same spices used in the rubs.

Basically, I was thinking of making a salt-free and sugar-free rub mixture that I would add to the brine so it would keep the salt/sugar to water ratio in the correct range. I was also considering using that same salt-free rub on the meat, but maybe adding some sugar to get it to seal the skin. Heck, maybe I should test that as well! Laughing

From what you mentioned, I am beginning to think that putting a rub on while it sits will cause the liquid in the meat and skin to be pulled out into the dry rub, and ultimately cause the moisture to be concentrated there. That pretty much defeats the purpose of the brining. I'll definitely go with the split chickens (at least) and see what happens to each one and let you know.

I had considered leaving them split in half to brine, but I guess I'm not sure how long I should let them sit in the brine in that form. I would guess it would be similar to using chicken parts and go with about 1 1/2 hours. Do you have any suggestions on the time to brine a half chicken? I could just quarter them fairly easily and go with the 1 1/2 hour method so I guess it's not too terribly important.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 06 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the times I post in Brining 101 are the conservative, average times.

When I brine a 1/2 chicken with my solutions, I brine substantially longer and have ZERO issue with mushy meat. I just don't get that as a result of brining. I'm convinced when that happens, it's a ratio of some sort that is really throwing off as well as the meat itself.

For 1/2 chicken, you can do up to 6 or 8 hours and see what you think -- it really comes down to the flavors and ratio in your brine and what they end up tasting like.

For a Mad Scientist, you can spend an awful lot of time brining and experimenting, I still am.

Email me direct if you have some more detailed or specific questions I can help with more.

Russ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: