FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turftiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 4:52 am    Post subject: First Smoker Reply with quote

OK, I'm a newbie here. I have been smoking on my gas grill for the last year using indirect heat with wood chips and a water pan. I am looking to purchase my first smoker. I would like to keep it around the $300 price range if I can. I'm not sure if I want to go with an offset or a bullet type or what. I am looking for feedback on each type and some suggestions of what to buy. Thanks in advance.

I have tried a few of the recipes here in the forums and have enjoyed them all. There are alot of talented guys on this site.

Last edited by turftiger on Sun Sep 14 08 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
camdentom
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my nephew wanted to start BBQing, I encouraged him to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain and he has been very happy with it. I've eaten some of his Q and it's very good. They are very easy to use.
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Well, I guess I'd have to ask, what sort of smoking do you want to do?

If you're looking at stuff like ribs, small butts or briskets, and things that generally don't need an all day or overnight cook, I'd think about either building or buying an offset like a Smokin' Pro with side firebox, a UDS, or a Big Baby. (Note: I got into smoking by building a Big Baby and had a ton of fun doing it, so I'm biased. Smile)

If you're thinking more of longer cooks, set it and forget it, or doing things like large shoulders, briskets, turkeys, beer can chickens by the grate, etx, I would check out the ProQ smokers and the WSM and go with the one that strikes your fancy.

If you're thinking more of cold smoking stuff like cheeses or sausages, I'd look at some of the small wood or brick smokehouses that guys have built here and steal their plans.
turftiger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14 08 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to smoke meats and some sides. I will probably doing packer briskets, tri tips, pork loins, shoulders and some turkeys or chickens. Thanks for the replies so far, would like to hear a few more opinions.
HillbillySmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14 08 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with an offset, easier to get to your food while cooking. there are quite a few for $300 and less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: