FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best cooker for Lockhart/Taylor TX style BBQ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joemero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 2:26 am    Post subject: Best cooker for Lockhart/Taylor TX style BBQ Reply with quote

I would like to replicate the Lockhart/Taylor TX style BBQ as much as possible at home. The BBQ I'm talking about is similar to restaurants like Kreuz & Louie Muellers which cook their briskets at higher temperatures for 4-6 hours using oak. I'm thinking an offset would work a lot better than a Stumps GF style, or any other vertical smoker....correct? I don't mind feeding the cooker oak logs every 1-2 hours as the total cook time I'm expecting to have is in the 4-6 hour range. Any suggestions as to a particular brand or style that would suit me best??
www.elpasoweber.ning.com
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this article and related searches http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-06-01/feature.php

It's a brick offset variation where you burn a campfire and draw the smoke through the pit. You have to tend them old school. There is no shortcut to smoking this way. But you can't beat it or take shortcuts to get the final product this way. That's why these joints keep getting accolades. Just one man's opinion.
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCustomsteel, Thanks for the link. I really enjoy the article. That is really what BBQ'n is about. It is in a way simple.

Snow's BBQ

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-06-01/feature5.php
QDS drum
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
Joemero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check out this article and related searches http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-06-01/feature.php

It's a brick offset variation where you burn a campfire and draw the smoke through the pit. You have to tend them old school. There is no shortcut to smoking this way. But you can't beat it or take shortcuts to get the final product this way. That's why these joints keep getting accolades. Just one man's opinion.

Mr. Custom Steel, thanks for your input. I have that issue of Texas Monthly and visited Kreuz Market in Lockhart a couple months ago, I even have a blog post with pics here http://elpasoweber.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2252619%3ABlogPost%3A69
I know it's impossible to get the same results and by no means am I trying to beat it, but I'm looking for a cooker where I could burn oak logs and replicate this as much as possible for my own enjoyment. On another note, I've been very tempted to get a Stumps 222GF, but I think I wouldn't be able to burn oak in a similar fashion, mainly lump and a few chunks in the bottom box. Would a DP pit be a good option? Or would an offset with a big firebox on the side be a better option? I'm also going to want to cook briskets at 350 to 400F like these Texas pithouses do.
Thanks Very Happy
www.elpasoweber.ning.com
Rub the Butt BBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I have both a Stumps 223GF and a big custom offset; at those temps and time I think I'd look at the DP's or something like a Klose or Lone Star. Although I LOVE my Stumps thats my .02

Stumps GF 223
Custom Built Offset Stick Burner
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joemero, looking at your pic of the Kreutz pit that I took from your blog

They have a good bed of coals and a real wood fire burning on top. The pit is below the floor or else the cook chamber would be to high to tend the meat. Burning a fire like that in most offsets would cause them to overheat.

I hope this promotes some good arguments but I think you need to design offsets so that they bleed off much of the heat but allow the smoke from a good fire to get to the meat. See how half of the Kreutz fire is not enclosed. It's hard to design one to be efficient enough to hold heat to burn lump and bleed off enough heat to burn sticks.

I have cooked with a friend who had a Lang and was burning lump. It did not seem to work so well IMO but some guys on here have success with it. I will get a chance to cook on a DP50 here in a couple of weeks at Ballwin Days so I'm looking forward to really playing with it. I just actually put my hands on it yesterday at the STL DPP Dealer's house and I have a few questions I'm hoping to answer.

It might just be nostalgia but over the years the best Q I've eaten has come from guys homebuilt offset variations, none of which were burning lump.

OK anyone I've pissed off can let me have it. Shocked
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 08 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cooked with only wood on my DP70. I usually start with some charcoal to create a bed of coals quickly. You would probably need the smaller one dp50 I think. Works the same way as mine. Decent price and cooks some good food.
New Braunfels El Dorado
bbqpits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21 08 3:29 am    Post subject: offset smokers Reply with quote

I have tasted the german brick oven roasted briskets for years
and have always felt the offsets produced a better flavor.
Deeper & richer with tons of juice. I have 23 pits myself,
being in the bizz, & won't stop till it's perfected forever.
How many people ya looking at feeding per load?

dave Klose
BBQ Pits by Klose
www.bbqpits.com
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21 08 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can easily run higher temps in my stumps GF than in my DPP.

I have done "fast-tracked" briskets in my stumps and they were great. the stumps produces real clean smoke, I have used chunks that were bubbling juice out the ends they were so green and I didn't get a black coating on my meat. If I try that with the DPP, the smoke is so thick it will choke you.

DPP's are a great cooker, but running it at 350 will cause some serious radiant heat under and around the firebox, I burned up a lawn this summer doing that, and had the wood in my woodbox smoldering at the same time.

The 2 cookers turn out different finished products too, Stumps is hugely moist in the cook chamber and it is tough to get a decent bark without over cooking your meat. I love the stumps for brisket for that reason.

I have not done brisket in the DPP yet, but I could see supplemental moisture being needed and a positive thing by use of the steamer option, or auxilliary water pans. (I got the pans)

I got brisket scheduled in 2 weeks, I'll do it in the DPP and report back on my findings
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21 08 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do briskets on my Klose on a regular basis.

No supplemental moisture needed...

Nice bark and smoke ring, excellent moisture retention, winning flavor profile...

I cook at 350 for comps and catering...

Great product every time...
Weber 22" Kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: