FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What a day today was.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 9:50 am    Post subject: What a day today was. Reply with quote

Well about a week ago my crew (7 personnel) decided to have a big smoked dinner. We planned for ribs, smoked mac-n-cheese and ABTs. I was eager to cook for them. So as the week progressed I checked the weather only to see a gloomy forcast. No problem I am not gonna let some little storm ruin our dinner. I got set up and just as I am getting the charcoal started, the torrential downpour began. After 1 1/2 hour of dealing with the charcoal chimney I had constant heat. Now I can't get the temp up beacause of all the water on the smoker. No big deal I'll just move the smoker inside the bay just enough to get out of the rain. Well then we started to get a haze of smoke, All be it good smelling smoke, smoke none the less. So we opened up both bay doors at opposite end to create a draft, no luck the wind didn't know if it wanted to blow in or out. We finally decided to carry the smoker , Yes it was getting warmed up with hot charcoal, to the other side of the station to a covered porch (I guess I should have thought about that in the first place). I still couldn't get the temperature up (175*). I assumed it was because of the 4 slabs of spares, smoked mac-n-cheese and 20 ABTs. I finally got it warmed to 225*, finished the cook and sat down to rest my stomach. Then my phone rings, it was my wife. She asks me "Can you call in tomorrow (to my other job)?" I asked her why? Rolling Eyes "Because a tree just fell in the yard and almost hit the house". Ok now my interpretation of "tree" and her's are 2 different things. I tell her I'll come by and take a look at it first. So I get home and find 1/2 a mulberry tree laying in my yard. The good thing I guess is I'll have a ton of wood to use next year.
QDS drum
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the best laid plans of mice and men ~John Steinbeck.

Glad you managed the cook despite the poor weather and issues with the heat. And really great to hear the tree missed the house. Mulberry gonna give you some real nice smoking flavor.

Ray

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
vw addict
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to derail your thread, but how do you make smoked Mac n cheese?
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw addict wrote:
I hate to derail your thread, but how do you make smoked Mac n cheese?

No problem. Here's the link to the topic:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13998&highlight=macncheese
QDS drum
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks frown on Mulberry wood, they say it`s not good for smoking. Also quit a few who like it too, me included. One thing i have found out is to dry it real good 18 - 24 months, mulberry is a real sappy wood, but works good if it`s nice and dry. Wink
I like to mixed it with some apple wood. In my opinion Mulberry has a very distinctive flavor, but better mixed with other wood. I use chips of Mulberry in my MES electric smoker for beef jerky, pork loins, brats & sausages. A little goes a long ways used on its own.
At least that's how it works for me.
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff appreciate the advice.
QDS drum
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: