FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for tips on bottling sauce for shipping.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinTramel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 11:32 pm    Post subject: Looking for tips on bottling sauce for shipping. Reply with quote

Any suggestions on bottling sauce for shipping. I would like to use plastic sauce bottles with shrink bands.

How can I insure the saftey of the sauce in a plastic bottle as apposed to canning in mason jars?

Thanks for the help.

Kevin
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17 08 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the "Ball Blue Book" on canning & preservation and follow the directions there.

Is this just for friends & family??

it depends on how acidic the sauce is, a non-acidic sauce will need special attention while a highly acidic sauce does not require as perfect conditions to be shelf stable.

if you have any meat byproducts in it, it will usually need pressure canning.

Please be careful, Botulism is no laughing matter, and it flourishes in reduced oxygen conditions.
KevinTramel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17 08 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry,

Yes, just for friends, family and Christmas gifts.

I will get a PH tester.

Thank you again.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17 08 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ingredient list should be enough to figure acidity, Don't post it here (unless it is really good sauce)

But just reading through canning literature shouldbe enough to figure if it will be stable.

You could always refrigerate and send in styro shipping containers with bubble wrap too.
The Sauce Maker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03 08 4:48 pm    Post subject: Stick to mason jars Reply with quote

If the quantity of sauce bottles are small runs I would stick to the mason jars to be safe and package it with bubble wrap.

Plastic bottles with shrink wrap are little more involved. The acidity of the product will determine shelf life, too. Without knowing ph of the end product or if you add preservatives, I would excersice a little caution.

Good luck. Must be good sauce and I am sure it will be appreciated at Christmas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: