FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st. Anniversary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 08 3:52 am    Post subject: 1st. Anniversary Reply with quote

We are headed into the Pumpkin Festival this week and its offically our 1st anniversary.One year ago we vended the Pumpkin Festival as our first festival.To date we have finished over 30 shows this year (with a few left) we had no idea what we were getting into at the time! We thought with 50yrs. of food experince between us we knew it all and would take the festival world by storm.It was anything but,festival vending is nothing like no one can imagine until they have done it. One year ago we started with 2 chargriller pro's a table a tent,some chafers and some coolers.We have amassed a bit more equipment since then but have come to realize we are still in the learning phase,with much left to learn. It has been a good year for us but not with out a lot of hard work and more then a few 20plus hour work days. A year ago I wasn't sure I wanted to be a BBQ cook,now I wouldn't want to be anything else!

Prehaps I should add along the way we have cooked for the Govenor of West Virginia,the Mayor of Charleston (a BBQ man himself)The production crew of MTV, several bands Morris Day and the Time,Blues Traveler,Puddle of Mudd,WQBE,WCHS,98.7,106.3 Radio stations and Huntington Xfest (metal festival) John Popper of Blues Traveler said we were WV's premier rock and roll cater!

Or maybe I should add the Chargrillers set at home most of the time now (although they still get used at small catering jobs) while the 36"x15' offset with 2 warming ovens or the 20plus foot industrial catering trailer with the Tejas 20240C offset on the back and Ford Turbo Deisel boxtruck see the most use now LOL.

It has been a great God Blessed year and we only hope next year goes as well...

Jim
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"

Last edited by Ridge View BBQ on Wed Oct 08 08 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 08 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1st. Anniversary Reply with quote

jjsinglespeed wrote:
We are headed into the Pumpkin Festival this week and its offically our 1st anniversary.One year ago we vended the Pumpkin Festival as our first festival.To date we have finished over 30 shows this year (with a few left) we had no idea what we were getting into at the time! We thought with 50yrs. of food experince between us we knew it all and would take the festival world by storm.It was anything but,festival vending is nothing like no one can imagine until they have done it. One year ago we started with 2 chargriller pro's a table a tent,some chafers and some coolers.We have amassed a bit more equipment since then but have come to realize we are still in the learning phase,with much left to learn. It has been a good year for us but not with out a lot of hard work and more then a few 20plus hour work days. A year ago I wasn't sure I wanted to be a BBQ cook,now I wouldn't want to be anything else! Jim

Congrats...
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 08 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your last sentence says it all....you still have the love and passion to do the festivals even after all you have learned....Thanks for the updates and information of your adventures and keep them coming as there are a few of us to do a few through out the years. We have done a few in the past, but mostly they were fund raisers like Relay for Life, but we have been approached to do some beach music festivals and the like, so any words of widsom is greatly appreciated.

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 08 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jim!

As you know, we do a few festivals but that is not our main focus.

The exception would be our fresh market with about 32 dates downtown a season.

I hope you promote your catering at those events as well. Word of mouth from folks that have eaten your food is a great advertising tool, and one that I promote heavily at our market.

I also remember you teaming up with a bed and breakfast type location last year. Is doing work for that guy still an option?

How would you rate your festival experience from a profit perspective?

50-50 good to bad shows (good meaning we made a fair profit for all the work involved) etc....................

What are your plans for the off season?
CarolinaQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03 08 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
What types of food do you offer at these events? What foods have you found that sells well and what doesn't sell for you?
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaQ wrote:
Jim,
What types of food do you offer at these events? What foods have you found that sells well and what doesn't sell for you?

I really shake my menu up a lot (it was my first year and I have been expementing) I will always offer my pulled pork as a mainstay,I do ribs,corn,baked beans, hamburgers,hotdogs corndogs, turkey,ham,fries,nachos,soda,tea,whatever depending on where I'm at and what the locals like.. Now I don't do all those things all the time but switch back and forth... I hope that helps,its pretty much a figure it out as you go deal depending on where your vending,wish I could answer better but feel free to ask questions and I'll help any way I can.

I had ruled out the county fair where I live but the food vendor director of the fair called me and asked if we would do it!!! I didn't think we could get in because were so new but we are in because all the directors and board members had had our food at other events and brought our name up! Next biggest comment was they like our clean looking rig!!
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st. Anniversary Reply with quote

jjsinglespeed wrote:
John Pippin of Blues Traveler

Must not be your type of music, its actually John Popper Wink

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st. Anniversary Reply with quote

jjsinglespeed wrote:
John Pippin of Blues Traveler said we were WV's premier rock and roll cater!

Is there a lot of competition for this title? Laughing

Congratulations on finding something you love doing.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your anniversary!

I still work here!
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Congrats Jim!

As you know, we do a few festivals but that is not our main focus.

The exception would be our fresh market with about 32 dates downtown a season.

I hope you promote your catering at those events as well. Word of mouth from folks that have eaten your food is a great advertising tool, and one that I promote heavily at our market.

I also remember you teaming up with a bed and breakfast type location last year. Is doing work for that guy still an option?

How would you rate your festival experience from a profit perspective?

50-50 good to bad shows (good meaning we made a fair profit for all the work involved) etc....................

What are your plans for the off season?

Yeah Mike we promote our catering from the festivals,I did a wedding 300miles from my home because the customer had a good festival experince.We have also sent part of our crew slash family to cater 5 different times from events!! (talk about extra work) The Resort is always an option (they quickly became like family) .
We made a fair profit from festivals,,but its more work then I imagined,,good thing none of us are lazy...

Off season? Whats an off season,we do conventional catering also..Jim
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st. Anniversary Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
jjsinglespeed wrote:
John Pippin of Blues Traveler

Must not be your type of music, its actually John Popper Wink

Actually it is,but at 3am when I typed that my memory and spelling both suck! Thanks for the correction,I edited it they are a great bunch of regular guys that made it!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: