FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on Ash wood...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 08 6:08 am    Post subject: Opinions on Ash wood... Reply with quote

I gathered a bunch of ash laying on the street curb over a month ago and am waiting to use it. I read it was suitable for smoking and thought I'd give it a try.

Since then a really bad storm came through earlier this month and blew down a bunch of trees. My town is pretty heavy with ash. So now I'm starting to see more nice sized logs in the street curbs from tree trimming services removing trees from backyards. All about 18" long and waiting to be split.

Any thoughts on ash? I'm going to pick some more up tonight but don't want too get carried away (even if its for free) if its something I won't enjoy too much.

Thoughts?
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 08 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab it all-
it is hard, does burn a bit fast, but burns hot
it doesnt have a lot of flavor, but i use it when 'things' are wrapped in foil and not taking on any smoke...

personally, i love the stuff
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 08 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried it for smoking but I should someday. If you don't like it, you can just use it for firewood.
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:

it doesnt have a lot of flavor

Thats what I was afraid of. I grabbed about 7 good size logs. I'll go get the rest tonight and see what happens. Have you ever done a combo of ash and another wood? What would you recommend?

And like stinkpickle said, if I don't like it I can always use it as firewood.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep that stufff down there, We have a bug named the "Emerald Ash Borer" (EAB) threatening our ash trees up here, it came from Canada and Michigan. And you guys have the Asian longhorn beetle down by you.

So please do not transport that wood anywhere just in case it has EAB or longhorn eggs in it.
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samson wrote:
tonyg wrote:

it doesnt have a lot of flavor

Thats what I was afraid of. I grabbed about 7 good size logs. I'll go get the rest tonight and see what happens. Have you ever done a combo of ash and another wood? What would you recommend?

And like stinkpickle said, if I don't like it I can always use it as firewood.

i've used it before with just about everything -
any fruit, oak, maple, hickory...
like i said-i personally like it
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27 08 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
So please do not transport that wood anywhere just in case it has EAB or longhorn eggs in it.

No worries Harry. Whenever I go north, mostly Michigan, no wood comes with me and no wood comes back. So far there was only one report of the Ash Borer in my town and that was a year or two ago. I thought I read there are approx. 7,000 ash trees in my town. I would hate to see them go.

Some towns have been hit kinda bad...its a big thing down here too. It dosen't make the news as often as it used to but I still see lots of signs asking people to not transport wood.
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are billboards all along our county's roads "Pack hot dogs..NOT firewood".

We're big in Ash here ( google larimer & norton bat mill), and Ash is great to smoke with, especially poultry.
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
Ash is great to smoke with, especially poultry.

Cool! Chicken is somethng we do alot in my house. Looking forward to cooking with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: