FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need hickory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyRoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31 08 8:38 pm    Post subject: need hickory Reply with quote

I am a smoker in Canada and I do not have a good source of hickory. I would welcome particulars of suppliers in Canada.

AndyRoo
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: need hickory Reply with quote

AndyRoo wrote:
I am a smoker in Canada and I do not have a good source of hickory. I would welcome particulars of suppliers in Canada.

AndyRoo

Where in Canada???

The northern most growing region of the Hickory tree is a line that extends from Detroit MI, to Madison WI. It is a southern tree, those of us that are up to are nuts (hickory nuts) with snow don't have the option of finding hickory nearby.

Depending on where you are up there, Some great options are Oak (red & white) Maple, Beech, & Hazel among many others.

I am just south of Michigans Upper Peninsula in WI and I rely on red-oak & sugar maple for my cooking and heating woods.

IMHO, Hickory is over rated anyways, it can make food bitter real easy becuase the smoke is so potent. I think the commercial places use it becuase so little is needed for a strong smoke flavor.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 08 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggy bark hickory grows throughout the Niagra region so you should be able to get it down there. Short of that you will have to settle for bags of chunks or chips.
LIAR #100
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from the land of hickory and I prefer red oak. Cleaner smoke and burns nicely with less seasoning time.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
I come from the land of hickory and I prefer red oak. Cleaner smoke and burns nicely with less seasoning time.

if you want to cover shipping, I'll trade you twice the amount of red oak for hickory!!

Well,?????????? wanna do it? I'll start with 3 full cords please.
springfield xd .40
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a place in minnesota up north in little falls near brainerd tha deals in cords of seasoned fire and smoking wood its www.firewood.com they will do mixed cords and also deliver they are maybe 4 hours from lets say hurley wi you should check it out harry.

a custom reverse towable pit
patio offset char griller
the classic weber
www.easttexassmokercompany.com
www.lyonsmeatsmn.com
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

springfield xd .40 wrote:
I know of a place in minnesota up north in little falls near brainerd tha deals in cords of seasoned fire and smoking wood its www.firewood.com they will do mixed cords and also deliver they are maybe 4 hours from lets say hurley wi you should check it out harry.

Thanks for the info, But I am fine on wood in this area.

I still have 2 cords in a pile waiting to get stacked, and another 4 slated for delivery.

I was goofing about the shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: