FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burning Wood...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BufordCityDawg
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 1:15 am    Post subject: Burning Wood... Reply with quote

So, my wood that I collected early in the year is starting to season nicely. I've used the plastic cover method all summer to help speed it up. I tested a few smaller pieces of apple wood this weekend and they burned with a nice blue smoke. Because my main heat source is charcoal/lump, as long as I'm getting blue smoke should I be all good going ahead and using the apple wood? Most of it is smaller limbs anyway. I always warm the logs in my SFB before they go into the fire.

BCD
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say it sounds like you're ready to go with them.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad my suggestion worked well for you. (you got that from me, right?)

A trick I have been using the past few weeks is to store my green wood in the cooker with the stacks open. I ran out of seasoned wood and have using stuff we cut this spring and trying to get it ready in a hurry.

The thermo's read 110-130 all day inside, and I can see the vapor exiting the stacks.

I also split to 2"-3" splits to et it dry faster, I need to load alot more, but no black belching smoke problems.
BufordCityDawg
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03 08 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I am glad my suggestion worked well for you. (you got that from me, right?)

A trick I have been using the past few weeks is to store my green wood in the cooker with the stacks open. I ran out of seasoned wood and have using stuff we cut this spring and trying to get it ready in a hurry.

The thermo's read 110-130 all day inside, and I can see the vapor exiting the stacks.

I also split to 2"-3" splits to et it dry faster, I need to load alot more, but no black belching smoke problems.

I'm pretty sure it was your suggestion that I followed on the plastic. I've done some temp checks and I was getting 170 if I had the probe directly on top of the wood, and 110-130 if it was in a shaded part of the wood. That was on a mid 80s day. I didn't check on some of our hotter days, but we had plenty of them. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I think I would go nutty if I had to wait until next year to use all of that wood. It's kind of like getting a new boat for Christmas and knowing you have to wait until June to put it on the lake.

BCD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: